Buying Camera this week. FUJI XPRO 2 vs. X100T vs. XT1 . Please help

enthawizeguy

Hi guys,  

I am new here. Just getting back into photography and wanted to go with a smaller camera than a dslr since i am more likely to take it around with me.  I am just learning. I liked the fuji cause most of the controls are right on top and its mirrorless and smaller.  I was pretty set between the x100t and xt1 but than I saw the x pro 2 is coming out in a couple days.  Is that line better or comparable.  I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon and would like to get something pretty good.  

My interests.

Street Photography

Nature Photography

Model Photography

I am hoping to purchase one either tomorrow or this week when the Pro 2 goes on sale.  So any help is greatly appreciated. I don't want to make the wrong choice. Also if you guys have suggestions of cameras other than these feel free to chime in. 

but... since you are learning and unless you want to shed big bucks on the latest system simply because it is the latest system.

Ask yourself what would the new generation do for you that the “ old” wouldn’t, since it has done and keeps on doing it for so many pro users until next week?

You can pick up a X pro 1 witha 18 and a 27 for a little more of HALF the probable price of the X pro 2 without any lens. You can pick up a secondhand X-E2 in a few days with a 18-55  for even less than that.

Why would you want to run now when you first have to learn to walk?

Spending big money on a box won’t help you find chops in it.

Right now I am leaning towards the  x100t, xt1 or x10.... i really like the x100t but am i gonna be screwed since it only has one built in lense? I can spend a little more since amazon just approved me for 800 dollar credit when i was looking at cameras.    Are the X Pro's in line with the X100 and XT1 tho?

s

Currently if you consider the top of the line from each of the Fuji Series, you really can't go wrong.

X100T, still a marvelous camera that will take great picture and it's portability is really hard to compete against. The con of it, fixed lens. Portraiture work might not be the easiest of things with this one.

X-Pro1, again, still a very solid camera. Due to the imminent release of the X-Pro2 camera, lots of stores have/had promotion for it and there are very nice combo/kits deals out there with the camera, I think I saw a 899€ deals for the X-Pro1 with 23 F1.4 and 27 F2.8, basically you would have paid for the 2 lenses and got the X-Pro1 for free. The con, well it's going to be "retired" in a matter of weeks now.

X-T1/10, something a bit newer than the X-Pro1 and still keep all the benefit of swapping lenses. Either one will serve you well on 85% of all form of situations. 

X-Pro2, the soon to be top dog of Fuji until X-T2 gets announced about a quarterly afterward (if we trust the rumors). It will be much more technology advanced than the older siblings but will be also more expensive, rumors seems to be placing it at 1800€ body only. To have an idea of the price, the newest Nikon D500 will be 2000€ body only and the X-Pro2 looks laughable next of it on the specs... But we are shooting Fuji for other reasons than just pretty specs, otherwise we wouldn't be there.

If you are one of those who's budget isn't an issue AND you know how it is to shoot with a rangefinder-like camera, go for the X-Pro2. If you are still learning the curves of Photography, either the X-T1 or X-T10 will be much better and cheaper starting points, both camera are really easy to learn photography with and still have enough technology inside to keep you going for several years before you feel the need to do some body upgrade.

Now, if budget does get in the way, X-Pro1 is clearly a winner here. At this moment, it is cheap to buy and you will get nice lenses to begin your photography learning.

Nonetheless, wait for for the X-Pro2 announcement first, if you plan on getting anything other than the X-Pro1, it won't change much, if any at all. And if you are considering the X-Pro1, price might get a bit lower too as some shops would really like to empty the stock of the old X-Pro1 and have more room for the newer camera.

I thought about the xt10 but i wanted the iso as a manual switch so i could get used to doing that without fiddling through menu's and figured it would help with learning. I also was told the xt 10 has a low burst buffer.   Should i totally rule out the x100t ? If the x pro 2 is gonna be closer to 1800 i can check that off my list but the x100t, xt 1 and xt10 are all doable and with what sense do you recommend i start with?

what darknj said.

With the exception of...

The 23mm 27mm combo was only ever offered by B&H  for a short while, you are very much more likely to find (at that price that he mentions, in €...) the 18mm 27mm combo.

http://www.kamera-express.nl/product/12206099/fujifilm-x-pro1-xf-18mm-f-2-0-xf-27mm-f-2-8-lc-xpro1-luxe-lederen-tas/

I never understood buying the 23 and the 27 together, too close to one another.

what sense size do u guys recommend i start with?

I car read that you are very much a beginner.

The camera that you’ve mentioned all have the same size sensor but the X pro 2 will have more pixels.

This, in theory will give you more possibility to make gigantic prints, if that is what you are going to do... most people I know don’t even ever print anything close to the largest possible size of the cameras they own.

Besides the pixel count the newer X pro 2 will have some improvement on all the other X cameras but I am quite sure that at your stage of photographic development these won’t be of any use to you!

Low light performance is one of the characteristics that all Fuji X cameras share!

what sense size do u guys recommend i start with?

That really depends on how far are you on the Photography road. I usually advise new comers to take either a FF (Full Frame) equivalent of 35mm (23 on Fuji) or 50mm (35mm is the closest we have).

If you have had some shots before with your D90, you might already know what you would prefer.

On any cases, if you are really just starting out take a prime lens, that means non zoom if you aren't familiar with the term. This way you will learn to compose your shot better and limitations are the best things for creativity.

Even some pros can learn again if you take their zoom out and hand them a prime lens and tell them to go shooting. Or change the prime lens to another lens length to get them out of their comfort zone.

And last but not least thing:

Take pleasure in what you do. There are no need to it super seriously. It's a hobby, it should be fun for YOU. It doesn't matter if nobody else like what you do. But it is really important for you to enjoy it.

Once you want to start getting much better, we can start being critical about the things. But really, keep in mind to have fun.

You want to make nature photos. For wild life you will need a tele photo lens. My zoo lens is the 55-200 and sometimes I think it could be longer. If you are more into flowers or insects then a macro lens or at least extension rings are required. Therefore I do not think that a fixed lens camara will satisfy you in the long term.

Also, the X-Pro 2 will be released next week but according to the Fuji Rumors it will take at least until the end of this month until it really ships. In the past it sometimes has taken more time from release to actually shipping.

At the moment there is only guesswork about image quality and improvements of the coming X-Pro2. No one knows if the low light capabilities have really increased or if Fuji just specify one stop more but only with the same quality that you get from the current Fuji cameras when you under expose by one stop at ISO 6400 and push it by one stop in post processing.

So may be starting with a second hand X-E2 or a X-T10 and the 18-55/2.8-4.0 would be a good choice. Later you can add more lenses or a new body if the Pro2 or may be the T2 bring features that you really miss.

So 

1. i really like the x100t but it only has one lense ( is this going to limit me a lot)

2. should i go with the xt 10 or t1 with the same sense that the 100t comes with and maybe another so i can switch lenses and have more options.

3. i will probably rule out the x pro 2 if its going to be 1800 for the body. 

I am looking to spend no more than 1600. 

I think you probably mean sensor not “ sense”.

The X-T10 and, for the time being, a basic kit 18-55 will see you through in your learning process.

After you have familiarized yourself with photography you will know what you want, right now, you need to learn to walk.

Leave the running for later.

I'd go for the XT-1, or T-10.

If you've never shot with, or enjoyed shooting with an Optical Viewfinder (or rangefinder) then I don't think you'd enjoy the 100T or the X-Pro's.  If you like the form of the these cameras but will never use the OVF, then go with X-E2.  Milandro will tell you it's a wonderful camera that is more than capable.

The XT-1/T-10 is a wonderful camera that you can grow into.  When I turned back to digital from analog, I grabbed the XT-1.  It's an absolute joy to shoot and you never have to mess with a menu when you're out on the street if you don't want to.  Throw the 27, 18, or even the 23 or 35 on it and it's a wonderful street camera.  I love the 35 on mine, and the new 35 makes it even more compact.

I think you don’t need to look into it too much, X-T10 as what milandro suggested is one of the best to go along.

But if you like range finder style, X-E series or X-Pro will be more fitting but being compact in size, you will be limited to X-E or X-T10.

I am using X-T1 and also getting an X-E2 for daily portable use. X-T1 is more for special or weekend when I have a light bag to put them in.

If you want a small and portable form factor (in your original post you mentioned that one of the reasons you ditched a dSLR was it's size) I would rule out the X-Pro series over the X-T1/X-T10/X-E2.

From reading your responses it seems to me that an X-T10 or X-T1 and a couple of primes would be a good fit for you. This is only my opinion so please take it with a grain of salt. If you have no opportunity to go into a shop and touch these cameras before buying then build some mock ups out of cardboard so you get a sense of their size.

To answer your specific questions above...

1. (one lens on X100T) I own the X100S and this was an issue that kept me from buying one for over a year. I overcame my fear and finally bought the X100S and I love it! It goes with me everywhere and I eventually bought the screw on teleconverter that gives me a 33mm lens. This comes in handy when doing portrait work with it. If you're a pixel peeper then image quality with the small built-in lens and the teleconverter will not be as technically perfect as the interchangeable X series primes but it in real world use the differences are negligible. I love my X100S. That said I still own a dSLR that I use on particular projects. If this is to be your only camera then an interchangeable option will be more flexible but will be a little larger.

2. (X-T10 or X-T1 and a couple of primes) This to me sounds like the best option for you if you are really worried about flexibility. If you are really after a small portable, pocketable and unobtrusive camera to have with you at all times then the X-T10 and the 27mm pancake lens will offer a package that is very similar in size, features and focal length to the X100T... and still give you the option of adding lenses in the future. Personally I've been considering an X-T10 with a three prime kit to replace my dSLR but don't quite have the courage or the pocket book to make the change. I have however spent a good deal of time in shops handling the different Fuji bodies and have had a chance to walk around and shoot with an X-T1.

3. Yes it looks to me like the XPro-2 will be over your budget. Honestly I think you'll find the form factor too large anyways. Reading your posts it seems to me that portability and size are important to you.

Good luck!

The only thing i am really worried about with the xt 10 is that the iso dial isn't on top and the buffer is small and not good for fast shots. 

The ISO dial would bother me.  On my XPro1 I keep my ISO in auto when shooting street.  In Nature and Model photography your situations shouldn't be changing that rapidly that it becomes an issue.

In street, model and Nature photography the frame rate shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure what they've said about the buffer of the XT-10, but even if you were shooting a lion chasing down a gazelle I don't think you'd have an issue.  However when you said nature photography, I assumed you meant landscape.

However if you don't feel comfortable with it, then you should grab the XT-1.

I think it's actually very easy given that you have stated this:

My interests.

Street Photography

Nature Photography

Model Photography

So, get the X100T for Street Photography, the X-T1 for nature with long lenses and the X-Pro2 for model photography. 

Okay, that aside, does it really matter? The cameras have massive differences between them and you should decide based on these differences, not based on what's new or not new. 

If you want to be flexible down the road, you invest in one or two lenses and any Fuji body that is still within your budget. Most of the "natural combinations" of lenses are already hitting your budget pretty hard or are well beyond it. Think 23 + 56 for serious quality shooting, or 35 + 90 if you like it a little longer. Or 16-55 + 50-140 f/2.8 zooms.

Overall, I think you are all over the place with your requirements which range from street (light, small, probably a fast prime) to birds (you mentioned that, which to me means larger body + 100-400mm zoom lens). If you are really just getting back into photography, I'd suggest you get any body that you like from the layout, size and looks (check http://www.camerasize.com for size comparisons, including some lenses) and a single lens to start with. Why not an X-T1 with a kit zoom? The 18-55 is a great lens, not in the same league as the primes, but as zooms go, it's pretty darn good. 

I might sound a bit harsh, but you have an awful lot of "concerns" for just getting back into photography and not knowing how to decide between very different cameras and lenses. 

Like the whole thing about ISO dial - have you used that? Sure, it looks great. In real life the implementation Fuji has chosen is a pain in the ass to use. And of course is a single lens with 23mm on an APS-C sensor going to limit you when you include "bird photography" into your requirements. 

My suggestion right now is: make up your mind what you want to re-start your photography with, check the likelihood of all all the different genres against each other and buy a camera that will work nicely in the environment it's mostly likely used.

I have an X100T, an X-T1, an X-E2 and a lot of Fuji lenses. If I only could have one camera and two lenses it would be the X-T1 + XF16 + XF90 (and I'd do my best to sneak in an XF35 f/2 as well). But, given that all I do is travel, people, portrait and a little bit of model photography, I could live with an X100T + TCL-X100 as well. I would just adjust my style to the tool. I wouldn't even attempt to do animal photography (or maybe just animals that don't run away from me) with this though. 

Now, think about your different requirements, go to Flickr and look at photos, check the ones that match the style you'd like to get into to see what focal length and sensor size they used. If you have a spread from wide angle to tele photo, you need a camera with interchangeable lenses. If you stay within the 28 to 50mm FF equivalent, you could make do with an X100T + WCL + TCL.