Leica R Lenses on X-Pro1

Mike K

This afternoon I received a Fotodiox Sony α - FX adaptor to try out with some of my Leica R lenses on the X-Pro1.

Background:

A couple of years ago I modified these lenses from Leica R mount to Sony α mount for use on my Sony α850, using a Leitax adaptor:

http://www.leitax.com/Leica-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html

For several years I've used these lenses on the Sony α850 with very pleasing results. 

With the advent of the Sony A7r in 2013, I sold the α850, purchased an A7r.  

I've never been entirely happy with the super sharp "clinical" images from the Sony A7r, and looking for alternatives led me to the Fuji system, albeit with a smaller sensor.  I'm really pleased with the image quality so far. 

This afternoon I did some quick test shots with the Leica R 280mm f4 APO-Telyt and the Leica R 100mm f2.8 APO-Macro Elmarit.  

Undisputedly both of these lenses are probably among the best lenses ever made in their respective focal lengths.

It was a cold afternoon with very flat grey light, on top of which out here in the countryside, the only victims I could find to photograph were my cats and my 3 friends from East Africa. Pics to follow in the next thread.

I used a bean bag for the 280mm, which is what I always use on safari with this lens -never used a tripod.

The shots with the 100mm were hand held.

Ran out of time and light, I still have to do some shots with the Leica Vario-Elmarit 28-90mm f2.8-f4.5 and the Vario-Elmar 105-280mm f4.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica R 280mm f4 APO-Telyt @ f4   -Jpegs straight out of camera with no post processing.

As mentioned above, a cold afternoon with very flat grey light and the only victims I could find to photograph were my cats and my 3 friends from East Africa.

Leica R 100mm f2.8 APO-Macro Elmarit  -Jpegs straight out of camera with no post processing.

Image #1 @ f2.8

Image #2 @ f5.6

More to follow with other R lenses.....

Today I had a chance to try out the Leica R 28-90mm f2.8-f4.5 Vario-Elmarit. 

The results are very good.

I'm trying out these lenses more out of curiosity. I feel that they're too bulky for the X-Pro1, focusing is not a quick process -possibly with the exception of the APO 100mm Macro-Elmarit, which being a fixed focal length handles easier, and like the other lenses, also delivers  outstanding images on the X-Pro1 !

Images from the 28-90mm on next post below...

Leica Vario-Elmarit R 28-90mm  f2.8-f4.5    -Jpegs straight out of camera with no post processing.

• 2 years later...

Leica R 100mm f2.8 APO-Macro Elmarit  -Jpegs straight out of camera with no post processing.

Image #1 @ f2.8

Image #2 @ f5.6

More to follow with other R lenses.....

Lovely pics. I have the R 100 2,8 Leica and itching to try on the Fuji Xt2. You are the inspiration behind that desire. Thanks for posting.

• 1 year later...