Witch camera and lens I should bring to London?

mano76

I am sure we can all take a little stick , being slapstick  of broomstick, as long as there is a jocular intent  ;)  :D  :ph34r: !

Always remember ( it cuts both ways) the Talleyrand famous phrase : “ Surtout, pas trop de zèle! “, now that I think of it, I should print this text in block letters onto my computer,

Written and sent from my own computer, at home, while sipping coffee in front of it, which ( or witch? :lol: ) brand and OS are none of your business!

Guest Ridgeback

Just take the X100T.

Not much to lug around/loose, no hassles changing lenses.

You'll learn a lot about photography and when you come home you'll be amazed at the excellent pix you took.

The 16-55 will be a great lens and should give you plenty of range. Not lightweight but versatility and light efficiency always come at a price.

I lived in London and in England in my young years. Even back then, when some of the huge landmarks that are there now weren’t built yet, the whole of the place often needed the wide angle perspective.

Do yourself a favor and google London 16-55mm Fuji and watch the pics of the Google images

London has many narrow streets where the 23mm will not be able to cut the mustard, unless one has, at least the wide angle adapter, I would never limit myself to that camera.

If you feel limited by that, you are correct. I just plain don't feel limited by this. I'll take a different approach to photos.

XF35 on X-T1:

21926312202_60db512ac3_c.jpg

The Shard by Guido Neitzer, on Flickr

yes, nice, I too have used one lens only on a X camera, the 35,  or a Rollefilex with 80 or 75, or but for any examples of pictures that you can take only with a “ standard” lens there are plenty of other places and instances when this would be a limiting factor for me.

After all why do you think that lenses other than the normal focal length ones, if not out of a need for them, were ever invented and why do you think that the majority of people use camera with interchangeable lenses?

I don't disagree with you that every single lens (or at least, most of them) has its place. I disagree with the suggestion that a single focal length, whatever focal length that might be, is limiting. It might limit a specific person, while another person will feel liberated and creatively inspired by the "limitations". 

What I see in forums is often the "you will be limited" approach, instead of looking at it more openly. Not everybody's goal is to capture every single photo possible at a certain location. I've had fun with just the XF14 in Chicago although I have to admit, the first two hours were frustrating. But then I really got into it and I love some of the results. If I had another lens with me, I would not have "unlocked" this creativity, I would have switched lenses or zoomed far too often. 

My personal opinion: The only thing limited is the imagination when people say a single lens is limiting. 

well, to me by definition, when you limit yourself to a camera with fixed lens you will run into its limits in a place like London.

Its as simple as that. That doesn’t mean that one cannot take pictures but it means that one would walk away from a shot with the idea that if he had had another camera he could have made a better shot.

All the rest is a matter of personal choice.

It really depends what you wants. The 16-55 or 18-55 would for sure cover most needs and you'd be ready for many situations. Personally, I was very happy just with an X100T - of course it restricts you in certain ways, but it can also be quite liberating.

I think that's what Cug's point is...If you fret over missed shots, then you'll always be fretting over missed shots.  You can't take every lens in Fuji's arsenal on every trip you take; and if you don't, you will inevitably miss shots.

As for me, I'm more in the Milandro camp.  I prefer to have a wide and then a standard option at least.  However with the X100's you can with the converter.

Its as simple as that. That doesn’t mean that one cannot take pictures but it means that one would walk away from a shot with the idea that if he had had another camera he could have made a better shot.

Again, that might be you. For me, this takes about 10 minutes or so, after that I see in the focal length I'm using and don't have the "if I had" moments anymore. I am very happy with that. It has nothing to do with Zen like experience. Per definition there will always be shots you are going to miss. Zoom or no zoom, multiple primes or single prime, doesn't matter. You will ALWAYS miss shots of you are a person who misses shots. 

I plain don't miss shots. There is no such thing for me. There are shots I'm not making, but that isn't "missed". 

It's a different approach for sure and I would never tell you that your approach is wrong, but I also like to suggest that you consider your approach not as the only one that "doesn't miss shots" because that would be quite incorrect.

Guest Ridgeback

Taking only one camera and one (prime) lens/a fixed-lens camera teaches you about photography because you:

a] learn to frame in your mind's eye

b] learn to walk ... in order to see the motiv from different angles/perspectives/distances

The more you do these two basic things, the less you will feel you have 'missed a shot'.

Next time I go to NYC I will take only my X-E2 and my XF 14mm. I have done this here in El Paso and not once did I feel I wasn't able to photograph the motiv. In fact I did a series I called 'El Paso @ 14 mmm' which I am quite pleased with and which I shall expand in the future.

It's not about only owning one lens. It's about selecting one and shooting it that makes this work for me. I own a ton of lenses, but I never carry more than three primes or two zooms +  a prime. Never. Mostly I carry one or two primes and very content with that. But I do like to switch around what I carry.

I wonder why do they make and why do we buy so many lenses   :rolleyes: oh well...get out the rat race, ZEN power, buy one, do it all!   :blink:

It is so that people like you don't miss shots. It's just a fact that people are different. Accepting that will make your life a lot easier and less controversial.

Guest Ridgeback

Horses for courses as they say.

Of course, when I go out hiking I might take a large zoom/tele for wildlife observartion, a wide angle for landscapes and sometimes a macro for plants and insects.

But I've also been out traveling light with only the XF 27 mm, which turns the X-E2 into an almost pocketable X100T style affair.

I wonder why do they make and why do we buy so many lenses  :rolleyes: oh well...get out the rat race, ZEN power, buy one, do it all!  :blink: