IBIS - Shooting only or continuous

Sany

Hi

I see there are three options including disabling, Continuous and Shooting only for the IBIS option. I also see when we select 'Shooting only' - it says the IBIS is activated when the shutter button is half pressed to focus. 

My question is - will this still apply, even when I have disabled the focus from shutter button and using back button focus (literally the shutter button only captures the image)? I am a bit confused because it says 'IBIS is activated while button half pressed and autofocuses.

Thanks in advance.

S

I believe it is - even if another button is assigned for focus.  I have mine set to Continuous as this helps stabilize the image through the viewfinder when using a longer lens on.  The difference in battery usage is not worth not having it on all the time.  

• 3 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 2:37 PM, Greybeard said:

Shooting Only IBIS is initiated when you use whichever button controls autofocus - AF-ON or the shutter button. AF-ON will initiate IBIS even if you haven't disconnected autofocus from the shutter button. The effect is really obvious to see.

I just purchased an X-S10 and cannot see the effects of IBIS or image stabilization in the view finder with my camera set to Shooting Only. Whereas you indicate that it is obvious. Am I doing something wrong? 

It is only obvious when IBIS is on continuously. If it is set to Shooting only then IBIS only kicks in briefly when the shutter is released.

I love my XS-10 so hope you enjoy yours as much.

Dave.