60mm bokeh samples - Very pleased

iSilentP

Helios 58mm + lens turbo

@darknj did you receive your Helios?How do you like it? True these are the dark days and the weather has been horrible lately, so, not the most conducive atmosphere to testing lenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Once you are able to workaround the slower AF speed, the lens becomes really nice to use, even on MF

The latest firmware update (4.0) has dramatically improved the AF speed on the 60 mm (at least it did on my X-E2). No more hunting!

I have conflicting experiences with the 60mm and the update on the X-T1 and the X-E2.

Firmware 4.0 on the X-T1 seemed to improve the 60mm performance and leave a little hunting in low light and low contrast but in general it looked like things were improved.

After the new firmware update on both cameras, I have the distinct feeling that hunting has worsened again bringing it back to what it was before. Of course the problem is that when you update your firmware in order to make a reasoned comparison one whould have to have a camera with the older firmware next to one with the new firmware to make a comparison. Anything done by “ memory” is bound not be a very precise comparison.

I am quite sure that now my 60mm hunts a lot more than it did after the firmware 4.0 on the X-T1. The performance with the X-E2 is similar but I have to say that I only have used the camera two weeks with the previous firmware and that I haven’t used the 60 with the X-E2 before but only with the X-T1 and my older X-E1.

I’ve just checked now in good light there are not too many problems but as soon as you point the camera in a dark spot it certainly hunts more than it did before. It looks like some other improvements threw something in the way of this lens performance. It definitely looks like we’ve done two step forward but at least one back.

I read this and was curious. I was lucky enough to not have the 2nd X-T1 within arm's reach when I updated to the latest firmware. I just did a quick (very unscientific) test with the 60mm,in my den (a sun-lit room--yes the sun is out and very bright) focussing at random objects at variable distance.  I did not notice that the newer firmware was slower. In fact I would say it is a slight more responsive. YMMV.

I have the distinct feeling that it goes now first past the focusing point and then goes back to it, it is not too bad ( certainly not worse than it was before firmware upgrade 4.0) but definitely not what I remember that it was before the lst update, but I might be imagining things.

Haven't seen any differences on the FW 4.x on the 60 lens.

It's about as good as it has always been since the 4.x FW and still stuggles on the last 2 cm close focus on low contrast subjects. That aside, still a nice little lens that enjoy using on semi-regular basis.

@milandro, Oh, I also got a lens tubo for the m42 mount :D

Cheers Darknj, how are you liking the lens turbo? I do, but I am juggling many things at the same time, among other things, as you’ve read, a new camera body.

I hope to soon find a cause worth pursuing with some portrait project or something which will allow me to use both the tilt adapter and the lens turbo with the manual lenses.

Anyway, I must conclude that I am imagining things when it comes to more hunting on the 60mm , which is a very possible thing  ;)

Haven't got it yet, still in transit, I got it for about 110€ brand new but it has be shipped from Asia, annoying but still better than the current alternative of 140€ from Amazon.de or 160€+ from amazon.fr.

Oh, if by any chances you find a ENSINOR 24MM 2.8, please do let me know. Up to 50€ I am willing to pay for a good one, doesn't need to be cosmetically perfect as long as it is functional haze/fungus free.

Once you are able to workaround the slower AF speed, the lens becomes really nice to use, even on MF.

Just mind the last 2-3 cm of close focus, the MF gets suddenly very very long to focus and AF speed also take a super dip in speed.

I tend to prefer the bokeh of the 60mm than the 56mm. Also ordered recently an m42 Hellios 44-2 56mm F2.

Sorry for the side-tracking inquiry, but; have you gotten the Helios 44-2 f2 yet? Did you get a good copy? (Mine was rickety as all h***). Sending it back. I didn't see any swirly bokeh either. Maybe I was shooting with it in an inefficiant way to showcase it's features? idunno..

BTW, back on topic, the 60mm f2.4 was my first lens for a X-E2 body-only purchase. Yes, slow(est?) in the AF speed for the whole lens lineup apparently, but luckily Much quicker with the new FW 4.00 update. Much more confident AF-lock-on. Choice of focus modes make this lens more versatile.

the Helios will show little swirl if not used with a lens turbo speed booster of some description because on an  aps-c sensor, as oppose to a Full Frame one,  you get less of the image circle and the inner part has little swirl to speak of.

There are many helios types and several have been doctored or cleaned by people who might have not put them back properly. My advise ( having had a few, the first on my original Zenith-E in 1976) is to buy a later copy.

Most will have single coating some ( very rare) even feature multi layer coating, as opposed to early ones with no coating at all. Later models have a less than circular aperture with less blades but the swirl is really more evident fully open so it hardly matters.

In order to see the swirl you really need to have some highlights in the portion that isn’t sharp.

Sorry for the side-tracking inquiry, but; have you gotten the Helios 44-2 f2 yet? Did you get a good copy? (Mine was rickety as all h***). Sending it back. I didn't see any swirly bokeh either. Maybe I was shooting with it in an inefficiant way to showcase it's features? idunno..

[...]

APS-C sensor is not really that good enough to get the swirly thing, but it can be seen a bit here and there, mostly things like light circles that appears in a kind of overlapping with itself. As for my copy, the only thing weird about it, is the F-stop marking being reversed, at F16, the lens is full open and F2 it's fully closed. Nothing really major since I am shooting exclusively wide open, the aperture ring is also a bit too loose for my taste but again, nothing really major.

Personally, I like that lens, it's separation is good enough for a lot of things and it's about as sharp as I can focus. Unlike the SMC Takumar 105 F2.8 that is a bit softer but there is a very good reason why it was nickmaned "Bokehnator" by a lot of users.

In overall I really like my Helios it is one of the most regularly put on the came now. I am heavily considering taking it with me for a wedding shot in April for the posed parts with the couple. I will try to see if I can have their agreement to post the pictures online.