Which is the Fastest Auto Focusing Lens on X-T1

jkundi

Hi all, this may have been answered before, or it may be a daft question in itself, but I am considering the 90mm for the X-T1 but own the 16, 23, 56 APD. Now I'm wondering out of these primes which has the fastest auto focusing in reasonable light. Why I ask? I recently shot with the 56mm APD in indoor light (wasn't great) but the lens did struggle to focus quickly, when it did, it produced beautiful images non the less. 

I'd say of the lenses you own, the 16 most likely.  I've not gotten to use the 23 yet though.  However every sense needs good contrast to focus.  This probably comes from my film days, but I always find the highest contest area of the subject then recompose.  I find the even the 60 to be zippy.

I had the chance to test almost all the Fuji lenses lately, except the XC series and the 56mm ADP version, and among those, the 23mm seemed like the fastest to focus to me along the 18-55 @18mm, @55 it was a bit slower than expected.

The pro F2.8 lenses were not slow per say, but they were consistent on the whole zoom length, which is nice to know.

The slow ones where clearly the 60 and the 56 along the 35mm F1.4. The rest of the lenses were in a small dens pack in the middle of those mentioned without any meaningful real world differentiation.

Tests were done outside with enough light to shoot at ISO 400 with 1/180 speed. Focus first at my feet then at the subject on infinity. Which was really troublesome to do with the XF 50-140 due to its minimum focus at 140mm. 

Hi all, this may have been answered before, or it may be a daft question in itself, but I am considering the 90mm for the X-T1 but own the 16, 23, 56 APD. Now I'm wondering out of these primes which has the fastest auto focusing in reasonable light. Why I ask? I recently shot with the 56mm APD in indoor light (wasn't great) but the lens did struggle to focus quickly, when it did, it produced beautiful images non the less. 

Remember that the APD version of the 56mm looses PDAF focus and instead relies on contrast detect only, hence your issues.

The 90mm is insanely fast compared to the other primes you've mentioned.  It sets the bar very high compared to even the 50-140.  the 16-55 f2.8 is also very fast to focus.

Thanks for the reply, I guess its safe to say now I know why my 56mm APD struggled. I may have to pull the trigger this summer on the 90mm, hmm, or perhaps sell the 56mm APD for the 90mm. 

I have the 16-55mm 2.8 and its what stays on the camera, the focusing is pretty fast across the focal length. 

I tested all those lenses you mentioned in a Fuji show room lighting condition and in the end I bought the 2 red badge zooms because I needed really fast AF for my subjects and I was an idiot benchmarking them from a DSLR prime.

In a nutshell, like what was mentioned, the 16-55 f2.8 is arguably the fastest among all the lenses in the showroom using a X-T1. The 50-140 I would say is marginally slower and the 90mm is as good if not better than the 16-55. The recently released 35 f2 I would say "feels" the fastest but since I no longer owns the red badge zooms so I can't really do the comparison side by side.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're not the first person I've read to say this. I don't own it so forgive the generality of this comment but in reading reviews of the 56 I heard it was not necessarily fast but people just loved the images it produced. They were ga-ga over it!