CES kit decisions

Alan Sircom

Hi all,

I'm heading off to CES in Las Vegas on Monday. My regular beat is high-end audio. Unlike many exhibitors, audio companies try to replicate the late-night home listening experience. This typically means very low available light. At its worst, this means a series of black products on a black rack with a black background in a badly lit room. Or, in photographic terms, a subject made up of shadow noise, in a sea of shadow noise. Normally, I resolve this with a combination of tripod, fast lenses, and off-camera flash.

This year, however, attendees have been warned security will be substantially tightened in the wake of recent terrorist activities. This means bags are subject to search on entering CES-related sectors, and the CEA recommends a KISS approach (the fewer pouches and pockets to search, the quicker the process). As typically you will pass through checkpoints at least two or three times a day (press launches are at prearranged times at different parts of CES), this could make the job almost impossible for the week.

So what do I go for? I think I can get away with a simple bag that gives me a lens change, or off camera flash, but probably not a tripod (although a monopod might be possible). Do I go with the 23/56 as a combo, or the 18-55 with off-camera flash? I will be using an X-T1.

As a former CES,T.H.E Show,& VSAC audio exhibitor (GreaterRanges/Neuance, w/ Toffco, Neat Acoustics,Sakura Systems,Bottlehead),I'd say that your 23 is your friend with it nearly fused to the X-T1 for most of the show but I'd carry the 18-55 in your jacket pocket with a small bounce flash for portraiture and general room & venue shots.

There's little to no opportunity to set up a tripod during show hours with mulling crowds of showgoers and press.Depending on your specific interests, a single extension tube might be advised for close ups/semi-macro views.

Assuming you're going to post to a blog or netzine rather than print media, I'd opt to bump up the ISO's and rely on OIS, a steady hand with the drive mode set to CL or CH and live with a bit of noise.HiFi reportage isn't fine art but you need to show off the details and get some decent product hero shots.

k

ps- hint-ask the exhibitors to have their pics taken next to their gear first-

a bit of ego stroking is often helpful and appreciated in show situations. it also helps in organizing your "notes" and comments for later reportage.

Thanks for the reply, and your suggestion of the 23mm is where I'm going, too. I work both print media and blogging, so I prefer to stay this side of ISO1600 for safety. My 'go to' lens for detail work is the 60mm, but I think it's going to struggle in the kind of gloomy rooms you get here.

The 'specialty audio' section of CES is quieter than most now and I have been able to use a tripod at times, but this time it stays at home. 

And yes, putting humans in the picture is always a good plan. It doesn't work so well when it's the designer is too arthritic to crouch down to get close to their new product, but otherwise it's a sure-fire icebreaker. Which explains the use of the 56mm and OCF.