Fuji X-T30 overheating while shooting

Lidiya

Good day,

I’m an amateur underwater photographer and I have met an issue with my Fujifilm x-t30 :)

While shooting (not even filming!) underwater in CL (or even single) mode, my camera just stops responding after about 30mins. Removing and changing battery is not an option when you’re in the middle of nowhere in the Red Sea, so I lost so many good pictures to this issue! Today, though, camera has shown me overheating warning, for the first time actually, so when I got to the shore I found out it’s really hot hot hot.

May be there is any settings trick to reduce overheating? Like, remove some load from the camera without spoiling the picture quality, by changing power settings, or changing lens, or stop using Lexar memory card. I will be grateful for any advice.

I am guessing that you use the camera above water for various time lengths without any troubles.

What you describing sounds like the case is not moving heat away from the body to the water. These cameras are air cooled so anything wrapped around the body acting as an insulator will cause problems. Video mode generates extra heat, it will be even more troubling, as will any setting that has the body in active run mode.

If you have no troubles above water, try a different case — you may have to talk to the manufacturer about heat transfer properties. Other that that, does the case gives you easy access to the on/off switch? I do not think it will be easy to manipulate, but if your reactions are fast enough to leave the camera off and turn it on when you need it, rather than just leave it turned on, you may be able to use your current case. The power management setting let you set an auto-shutoff time as well, after say five or ten minutes of not using it, the camera powers down on its own. Then turn it back on when you need it to get those cool rock grouper photos.

Edited by jerryy