Limitations of the X-Pro1 compared to the newer cameras (Hardware and Firmware)

Okay everyone,

I have recently purchased an X-Pro1 which I am yet to get my hands on but I am just wanting to know what features the XT-1/XT-10 have which the Pro doesn't (due to firmware or hardware).

Some are obvious such as the weather sealing on the XT-1, no firmware upgrade is going to fix that.

Another is the focussing as I understand the XT-1 has both contrast and phase detection while the Pro has only contrast. 

Apologies if this has been asked before, but one of the very few downsides of all of the firmware updates fuji releases is that the reviews are out of date almost as soon as they are released.

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

John

Hi John,

You have made a choice, a decision.  What is the point of worrying about what advantages other choices that you could have made might have?

The X-Pro1 is still a super camera, and is capable of super photographs.  The camera will be limited only by your capabilities, not by what advantages other models may offer.

Enjoy your X-Pro1.  I recommend the Fuji 27mm pancake lens, or the Fuji 35mm lens.  With either of those two lenses, if you don't get great shots, then it's down to you, not the camera ;)

Have a look at the photos on my Facebook or Flickr pages.  Many of them were taken with the X-Pro1.  Flickr will even tell you which camera was used for each photo.

Asking what differences other cameras have after you have ordered the camera will only confuse you, and will be counterproductive to your creativity, because instead of making do with the choice you made, you'll always be thinking "what if?"

Go take some wonderful photos with your camera, when it arrives, and don't worry about other cameras for now.... the best camera in the world is the one you have in your hands when you need it :)

Apologies Paul, I should have been clearer.  I am in no way doubting my decision.

I bought the X-Pro1 during the Amazon Black Friday deals so for £500 I got the camera and the 18 & 27mm lenses!

I have also purchased the 35mm on top so I have no doubt that I will have an incredible experience.

All for less than the cost of the T1 body alone (well almost)...

I have to confess that until I saw the Pro on sale I was planning to buy the X-T1 so hence a lot of the reviews and spec lists I looked at were not for the X-Pro1 and I am now a little confused as to which features are unique to the newer cameras.

My question related purely to making the most of what I will have available and to save me time looking for features which haven't yet (or wont ever) make it onto the pro.

In the fullness of time I am certain I will but a T1 or T10 (just after the T2 or T20 comes out :) ) but in the meantime I will be delighted with the Pro.

Thanks for the reply though Paul.

Hi John,

The XT1 doesn't have the benefit of an optical viewfinder.  I tried it, but the experience was unpleasant for me, I felt totally detatched from the subject, like seeing the subject on TV instead of in front of you, and in very bright or very low light, the electronic viewfinder of the XT1 can do really weird things as it settles down and adjusts to sudden light changes, and in the seconds it takes to do that, I found I was missing shots.

There's nothing to beat an optical viewfinder, and the only real offerings from Fuji right now with OVF are the X-Pro1 and the X100 series. 

I know that I cannot get the photos I do with an electronic viewfinder.  I tried....

You're going to be ok, just don't worry about what you may have missed, just enjoy what you have.  You got a great deal!  If I remember rightly, the X-Pro1 cost around £1600 when it first came out, and that was just the body :o

Apologies if this has been asked before, but one of the very few downsides of all of the firmware updates fuji releases is that the reviews are out of date almost as soon as they are released.

Just be sure to install the firmware updates for body and lenses.

With these, it's a very different camera from that of the first reviews.

Find them all HERE.

Okay everyone,

I have recently purchased an X-Pro1 which I am yet to get my hands on but I am just wanting to know what features the XT-1/XT-10 have which the Pro doesn't (due to firmware or hardware).

Some are obvious such as the weather sealing on the XT-1, no firmware upgrade is going to fix that.

Another is the focussing as I understand the XT-1 has both contrast and phase detection while the Pro has only contrast. 

Thanks for your time,

Regards,

John

You pretty much covered the main differences, I have an XT-10, my dad just received an x-pro 1

I aint spent a lot of time with XPro1 yet, but the only thing i initially noticed was exposure compensation is +/- 2 where on XT-10 is +/- 3, however this is something I never use as always shoot in full manual

The electronic shutter, the faster AF and the focus tracking are give or take the only things that the newer cameras have, that the Pro does not, that may help you "get the shot"

The rest: wifi, gps, more Fn buttons, articulated screen, customisable Q menu, +3 EV dial may or may not be things you'd like to have, but their omission won't necessarily get in the way of you taking photos

The only thing I notice different about the Pro1 over the T1 is the processor.  It could be how I have mine configured though.  I'm going through Rico's book to try and really master this camera as I love shooting with it.  Many of my film cameras are rangefinders and although this is not a traditional rangefinder, it does give me that experience.  I love the 35 on mine and I'm hoping to have a 14 in my possession soon.  I really feel I'm going to love that lens on this body.  I've also seriously considered just picking up the 18 as a grab and go lens for the Pro1.  I shy away from the 27 though because it lacks the Aperture Ring.

The two camera work in very different ways.

The X-T1 would feel more "nervous" almost eager to take picture, the X-Pro1 feels more calm and steadier. At least that's the feeling I got when I tried both cameras.

Unlike Paul, I wasn't really convinced by the X-Pro1 hybrid view finder, the part OVF and EVF didn't really worked for me. It is good to have the option to use either when needed but, I don't know, it felt weird when I tested it out.

I guess I like my view finders to be either full OVF or full EVF, not a cross of both.

One thing that was not mentioned, if I missed it, my apologies, but do be careful with long lenses or lenses with long lens hood, it can get into your OVF, or so I have been told.

Since I only had the 35mm to test the X-Pro1 I can not say for certain if that is indeed the case or not nor how bad it is, but reports does exist about it.

That aside:

- Same sensor.

- Older CPU to process the image.

- Some physical differences.

In the end, nothing really major nor earthshaking. It still takes pictures and like so many people before me, it's the spongy thingy that 10 cm behind the view finder that makes the differences.

• 4 weeks later...

just wanting to know what features the XT-1/XT-10 have which the Pro doesn't (due to firmware or hardware).

I'm using both the X-Pro1 and the X-T1, and aside from the obvious differences you can readily see from the camera specifications, the most relevant difference in firmware to me is the fact that the X-Pro1 doesn't have the Focus Check function. On the X-T1, this function automatically kicks in if you use the AF+MF function and turn the focus ring (obviously, you need to use the camera's EVF for this). It then automatically magnifies the contents of the AF frame.

On the X-Pro1, you can use the AF+MF function, but you don't have access to screen magnification since AF+MF is only available in AF-S mode. If you need screen magnification for critical focus checking, you need to move over to MF mode, in which you can press the control wheel to have the contents of the AF frame magnified.

Hi,

I got the same set up as you, but earlier in the year, so I paid more.

I found the xt1 didn't feel so good in the hand which was totally subjective I know, but objectively the IQ was pretty much identical when I tested them side by side, so I bought the slower camera out of love.

I did note though that the Xt1 was more equipped to do video.

Anyway in real day to day use I have found the following:

- the auto iso is very useful as you can set limits so for example its default will be 200 but the auto can be set to let it rise to say 3200 when it needs to. Useful. But the master stroke is that you can also set the minimum shutter speed to say 1/60 of a sec. So then you can relax on the job in hand and know the camera will ensure you don't stray into either garbage iso settings or too slow shutter speed.

- the 27mm is super sharp

- the 18mm is a surprise, while reviewers will have you believe otherwise, trust me, used with care it is a nice piece of glass

- nothing new in stating that the 35mm is great, but I have found the 55-200mm to be a real jem... Ok weird on a rangefinder, but amazingly sharp and stable

So probably the only down side of the XPro1 vs many other cameras is speed. But that only really matters for spontaneous shots. I managed to get some epic surfing shots with the focus bang on at 200mm f4.8, so in the end, as with most things, the human part of the equation is likely to be the limiting factor.

I bought the xpro1 last summer. In my opinion the only limitation is focus peaking when you're using manual focus lenses. The black/white line for focus is hard to see. I believe that it'll be easier with colored lines. Also it doesn't refresh while the xpro1 is writing to SD card.

I'm using the first version Minolta Rokkor MD 58mm 1.2 with a novoflex adapter. In terms of IQ still among the best & it's been 5 years already since it came out. 5 digital years, that's like 35 analog years :)