HandeVision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 Couldn't Resist at $799

T-Man

I was looking to buy a Christmas present for myself (technically, from my mother,) and thought about checking out the 35mm f/0.95 from Mitakon and SLR Magic. Instead, I purchased the HandeVision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 and I should have it in-hand on Christmas Eve. I have 30-days, if I would like to return. Just in case anyone is interested, it is selling at $799.99 these days.

I know that the HandeVision IBELUX 40mm f/0.85 has been discussed here and elsewhere extensively in the past, and I have perused some of the threads.The tone and the content of the past dialogues have mostly revolved around Chinese manufacturing, weight and size, lack of autofocus and electronic interface for EXIF, and above all the "price" of $2,000. But now that the lens is selling for drastically low price, I thought it would be good to hear from you folks and especially from those who use or have used this lens.

Regards and season's greetings.

I used a bit similar glass - SLR Magic 50mm 0.95 for about half year. It was great lens, but a little heavy for me. I've got many great looking portraits, especially kids from top perspective. I has nicely reduced contrast and beautiful bokeh. It's also awesome for BW shots. I like the build and step-less aperture ring. Later I sold the lens and switched to more compact (and cheaper) Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 S.C that has quite similar picture character.

I think it's good idea to try Ibelux 40mm. It will take a time to get use to so wide aperture, but you'll learn great skill finally. I used Zoom focus, because focus peaking was not always precise enough.

Dang it!  A real let down; FedEx did not deliver even though I had paid for "Overnight" delivery. Aside from Christmas, I have two birthdays (our daughter's and our grandson's) tomorrow and was really looking forward to taking some shots of the cakes, candles, lights, presents, and of course portraits. Hopefully, I'll get the lens tomorrow.

I used a bit similar glass - SLR Magic 50mm 0.95 for about half year. It was great lens, but a little heavy for me. I've got many great looking portraits, especially kids from top perspective. I has nicely reduced contrast and beautiful bokeh. It's also awesome for BW shots. I like the build and step-less aperture ring. Later I sold the lens and switched to more compact (and cheaper) Voigtlander 40mm 1.4 S.C that has quite similar picture character.

I think it's good idea to try Ibelux 40mm. It will take a time to get use to so wide aperture, but you'll learn great skill finally. I used Zoom focus, because focus peaking was not always precise enough.

Thanks yukosteel. I also have the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 but a Multi-coated copy. It is a fantastic lens. Looking at other people's photos IBELUX certainly introduces a lot of coma; I too think that it will be fantastic in monochrome photography. Cheers!

Well, I was thinking similar way about SLR Magic 50mm 0.95 first day I tried. I paid about $950 for it year ago.

Reduced contrast, blurry frame borders, soft focus. But that was just first impression.

I had to spend few months until I learned how to master that lens for great shots.

Looks like Ibelux 40mm is not an exception. Like all super-fast lens it needs practice and patience.

Can we have a few snaps to see how bad it is ? :D

Wish I could. I had ordered for the Fujifilm X-mount but the lens I got is for Canon EF-M mount. A shipping error by Amazon. Was hoping to get it replaced but Amazon is "out-of-stock"on the FX mount version. I don't think it will be replenishing because they have cancelled my replacement order and refunded all my money with the instructions that they don't want the lens to be returned. I tried it on a borrowed Canon EOS-M3 for a few hours. Did not have an EVF to nail focus. But images just looked really poor on the LCD.

Anyways, I'll keep the lens if I can use it with my Fujifilm X-T1, Nikon Df or Leica M-P, but haven't been able to find an adapter. Perhaps the actual mount on the lens can be replaced from EF-M to FX. Tried to trade-in--B&H declined to take the lens, Adorama offered $200 store credit, and KEH hasn't replied. I have it on eBay (no watchers) and on Craigslist.

[...]

Anyways, I'll keep the lens if I can use it with my Fujifilm X-T1, Nikon Df or Leica M-P, but haven't been able to find an adapter. Perhaps the actual mount on the lens can be replaced from EF-M to FX. Tried to trade-in--B&H declined to take the lens, Adorama offered $200 store credit, and KEH hasn't replied. I have it on eBay (no watchers) and on Craigslist.

Sheesh... That sounds quite bad for a lens if most of the known shops are not willing to spend the time to even try to sell it...

Anyways, I'll keep the lens if I can use it with my Fujifilm X-T1, Nikon Df or Leica M-P, but haven't been able to find an adapter. Perhaps the actual mount on the lens can be replaced from EF-M to FX.

Just saw on eBay "BRASS M42 flange Fuji FX Adapter" for $10.

It will require some metal work, but can be converted to proper mount part to replace EOS-M on your Ibelux lens.

Just saw on eBay "BRASS M42 flange Fuji FX Adapter" for $10.

It will require some metal work, but can be converted to proper mount part to replace EOS-M on your Ibelux lens.

That's a great idea! Thank you. If it doesn't sell on eBay, I might take it to Cameratech in Ballard and ask them to see if that's possible.

That's a great idea! Thank you. If it doesn't sell on eBay, I might take it to Cameratech in Ballard and ask them to see if that's possible.

Technically it's possible, just requires accurate measurements and operations with metal. I've modified few adapters before following similar idea.

That M42-FX adapter is a single piece. First step is to create 4 holes for mount screws in exact same positions as on EOS-M mount plate.

Second step is to reduce adapter thickness by flat metal grinder (about 1-3mm). It have to be mounted on lens to check if the thickness fits Focus Distance scale.

I was just slowly reducing plate thickness by 0.1mm step, and trying it each time on lens until Focus Distance perfectly reflected real distance from object to Fuji sensor.