X-T1 Firmware 4.20 SUSPENDED

Tom

Hello,

I have no problems with fw 4.20, even in AF-C mode... 

When Fujifilm Japan announced the firmware problem it explained in part "Unfortunately we have discovered that the latest firmware (Ver.4.20) launched on 17 Dec 2015 has an issue which in rare cases, when focus is set to AF-C mode, may result in the camera freezing."   

Sorry to hear that you're NOT one of those rare and special cases.  Why some folks made a mountain out of a mole hill on this matter especially given how quickly Fuji provided a rollback solution is the real mystery.  ;)

Furthermore, RAW images canot be recorded setting ISO to L, H1 or H2 ( page 50, X-T1 manual).

I've noticed interesting behavior in FW 4.20 , but I assume FW 4.21 has the same.

If you use Electronic Shutter then you can switch ISO dial to L / H1 / H2 and still shoot in RAW . It will just be recorded with ISO200 (it highlights that value with yellow).

I've noticed interesting behavior in FW 4.20 , but I assume FW 4.21 has the same.

If you use Electronic Shutter then you can switch ISO dial to L / H1 / H2 and still shoot in RAW . It will just be recorded with ISO200 (it highlights that value with yellow).

Unexpected, but true, I can confirm that. Is this undocumented? Just to be precise, using the H1 and H2 ISO settings, the machine defaults the ISO to 6400. Thanks for the information! Here FW 4.21

Unespected, but true, I can confirm that. Is this undocumented? Just to be precise, using the H1 and H2 ISO settings, the machine defaults the ISO to 6400. Thanks for the information! Here FW 4.21

Yes, it's ISO6400 for H1 / H2 + Electronic Shutter, thanks for correcting.

Guess I'll take the risk and stay with 4.20. Don't use AF-C very often. And if removing the battery solves the freeze it's fine.

I stay with 4.20 as well.

Microsoft and other companies releasing patches for britches everyday, I'd go for burst flash rather than for AF-C till bug is fixed

This is not as complex  as in a OS, with interaction and permutations with other programs which might be showing unpredictable and unforeseen results, not knowing which program each user has, this is a minor firmware update showing a bug in one of the main updated functions, a bug which caused Fuji USA to declare the they were gonna halt the release of the firmware. But then disappointment arose pushing Fuji Japan to release this anyway, even though they knew there were problems.

Memories are short lived.

let me refresh them.

11 December   New Fuji X-T1 FW 4.20 Coming on DECEMBER 17!!! … KAIZEN: “For Longer Camera Lifespan”

14 December    FujiRumors sources say: No Fujifilm X-T1 Firmware 4.20 on December 17 (even though Fuji USA said it will come)!

15 December Good News (hopefully ;) ) – BUG FIXED! Fuji X-T1 Firmware might be ready for X-mas (and probably the 17th)

17 December   IT’S HERE! Fujifilm X-T1 Firmware 4.20 available for Download NOW!

22 December  Fuji X-T1 firmware 4.20 faulty. Fix will come end of January. You can now “downgrade” to 4.21!

It is not the nature of the bug which is of concern ( fortunately it was a minor and rare occurrence ), I am not making a big thing of that.

What is of concern is the sequence of events above.  

Announcing this new firmware to create interest, USA Fuji halting the release just days before because they discovered bugs , Fuji Japan decision to pursue the release anyway the day after, Firmware released and the sudden discovery of firmware bugs which could impair the use of the camera under certain rare conditions.

So the bug is not the problem, we know you can downgrade or not use continuos mode, that’s easy.

The way they dealt with the problem is the problem. Yes they “ fixed it” but it shouldn’t have been there since they knew that problems were there  on 14th of December! But they had committed to a release date and the PR cockup weighed more than the possible technical one.

I like Fuji and I am a proud fuji owner but one has to call a spade a spade and a cockup a cockup.  

Saying that all is fine and dandy on account of your  Fuji-love is a different thing. But love is blind.

Thinking over things requires logic and maybe seeing the sequence of events would help to put some in between the clouds of love.

For all we and they know it could have gone much worse. Fortunately it din’t.

Happy Holidays.

The Fuji Rumors web site dispenses rumors and the so called events outlined on December 14 and 15 come from them and not Fujifilm.

We can only speculate as to why a Fuji USA office made the firmware announcement on December 11... but perhaps its more interesting to wonder why it didn't come from Japan in the first place.  When was the last time official firmware was announced by other than Fujifilm corporate ?

Its difficult to find credibility in arguments that are primarily supported by speculation, assumptions and the absence of facts. 

both fuji JP and USA declarations were public, fujirumors merely reported them.

They were no “ rumors”.

Obviously love is blind and admits no criticism, close your eyes and dream on if you so wish, reason is another thing. I’ve made my case.

Fact : the links you provided in an earlier post all point to Fuji Rumors web site... not Fujifilm.

Fact : Fuji Rumors reported release of 4.20 and provided Fuji USA link as official announcement source.

Fact : Fuji USA pulled its announcement all together without explanation.

Fact : Fuji Japan announced availability/release of 4.20

Fact : Fuji Japan subsequently announced rare case issue with 4.20 and released 4.2.1

Stories about Fuji's real intentions, errors in judgement, improper testing, etc. are no more than fact less concoctions that don't serve any worthwhile purpose to those interested in practical and useful information.

Suit yourself. I’ve made my case and provided, what I believe to be, evidence for the people here to see and make up their mind on what’s what and how’s how.

What happened happened and stays under everyone’s eyes to see and judge for themselves.

As said under other circumstances, one can bring any manner of wise, crazy, equines, canuk or otherwise, to the water but cannot make them drink. 

Have a Xmas as nice as humanly possible for you.

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Suit yourself. I’ve made my case and provided, what I believe to be, evidence for the people here to see and make up their mind on what’s what and how’s how.

What happened happened and stays under everyone’s eyes to see and judge for themselves.

There is no evidence... just personal opinion based on conjecture and misrepresentation of the facts.  Addressing my response with generalities doesn't add to the credibility of the argument and derogatory references aimed at a person don't belong in a public forum. 'Nuff said...

Bah... Can't be worse than what Nikon did with the D600 and its oily/dusty sensor.

A friend of mine who went for a D600 last year, after Nikon's announcement in March noticed the issue during a trip in the US, he wasn't aware of the problem to begin with and just went to get the camera changed in a local Nikon shop, he was refused service from Nikon US and again back in Belgium. I had to use my Gold NPS status to push things around and get the camera fixed.

As long as there are expectations and deadline, companies will push to get there even if it means rushing things. The video game industry is a perfect exemple of rushed products by release date and slowly fix them for the next 6 months or so.

So yes, they messed up but still came out clean about it and offered a way to correct that in a temporary way before offering a real fix later on. Not really pretty sign, but still a lot better than most of the manufacturers out here.

Perhaps since I am not a gamer I wasn’t prepared to this. 

Perhaps I am just old fashioned and not used to these things.

I had to think of this joke.

Two thieves decide to go stealing some fruit in an orchard at night time. The farmer owner of the orchard has put there his donkey there to protect the fruit but they don’t know it and can’t see it because it’s pitch black. So they make a hole in the wall surrounding the orchard and as the first thieve peeps through the hole the donkey kicks him in the face. 

He retracts with the hands on his face, the other thieve asks : “ What is it?Why don’t you go in? “ and the first thieve answers : “ No, you go in first, I have to laugh about all of this! “

One thing is for sure, next time, I’ll let others go in first.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone with decades of software/application design, programming and testing, I have adopted a few strategies in regards to firmware and software revisions for each and every device I own:

1) Never install firmware/software revisions within the first 10 business days.

2) Always understand why the revision was developed and rolled out. Read the release notes.

3) Read industry magazines and watch videos from other professionals that talk about their discoveries following installation and utilization of the revision.

My experience has shown me that nearly no level of critical testing can demonstrate and test every single variation that a user base will put a revision through. These issues have plagued Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and Google indiscriminately. 

Sh*t happens. I always anticipate the worse, but hope for the best. My safeguards have proven to be effective time and again.