tripod screw disappeared ???

drsnake

Bulldog mentioned JAL screwdrivers. I looked them up and the closest I could find is JIS screwdrivers. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Screwdrivers or something close to that. They have a slightly different head than Phillips screwdrivers and are supposed to prevent cam outs in Japanese screws that happen when you use a Phillips.

Yes, looks like that JIS has just slightly different angle then Philips. It means simple file can be use to convert one screwdriver into another type. However I repaired few dozen lens always using regular Philips, and didn't do any visible harm/signs to screws. The only problem appeared when the screw was stuck due to lens old age, in that case only WD40 + temperature contrasts helped to unscrew.

• 3 weeks later...

Hullo, everyone, I´m a new member, nice to meet you.

After reading this I had a look at my X-T10 to check it out. I have it since November and I have used it with a tripod a few times only. I have a set of small "watchmakers" screwdrivers and one of them fits the screws snugly so I gently tried the two screws next to the tripod threaded hole. (X-T10 has two only). To my surprise they were very easy to unscrew. A VERY gentle turn with the screwdriver was enough. The were almost loose, I would say. Definitely not the way it should be.

I tried all the other screws on the body. These were all properly tight, nothing remotely like the two screws next to the tripod attachment.

Milandro & Loctite 222: +1

I took them out and put them back in with a bit of 222 on their threads, one by one. (I have it because I have a road bike with a carbon frame). I think it is better to keep them in place than to loose them. I suppose the block with the tripod attachment threaded hole could cause damage to the camera if it got loose and moved on the inside of the camera. I don't know if it could touch some electronics but maybe it could.

I personally am not afraid of loosing my guarantee because of this. I trust Fujifilm to be reasonable in technical terms and don't believe they would use this as an excuse to avoid their obligations regarding guarantee should I ever need it. In fact, I think the proper thing would be to let them know about this and that is what I am going to do via our local representative.

Swiss screws are very thoroughly applied.one by one, patiently, then there would be an enquiry on how this incredible dissatisfactory malfuction could happen, but yes, it is, after all, only a Japanese product  ^_^  gone are the glorious day of Alpa Pignons.

Seriously though, here too, Fuji labs in Germany, take forever even for something as simple as that!

I would say those tiny little screws seem too small for the job considering the size of the tripod attachment block and the forces it is subjected to. Especially as there are only two of them on the X-T10. May the Force be with them ! I would suggest they could be bigger in the next generation, but of course who am I to suggest anything.

The only thing these tiny screws need to do is to hold the tripod attachment block in place when there is no tripod plate attached and when there are absolutely no external forces working. When the plate is attached, the clamping force between the part inside the camera and the plate is created only by the much larger bolt that attaches the tripod plate and this force is directly applied to the camera body.

Therefore, these little screws are okay as long as they don't loosen up and fall out.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. My 11 month old XT-1 lost all four screws -- I assume gradually over the past year, as it's nothing that I check each time I clean the camera.

Fuji Repair in NJ fixed it at no charge. Took about a week.

I use BlackRapid camera and wrist straps, and I've changed my tripod plates to include a BlackRapid attachment point. I'm thinking that putting these on/off the camera have been giving the screws a chance to loosen and fall out.

I'll be checking more often going forward.

I had the same problem with my XT1.  All four screws fell out.  I use a PeakDesign tripod plate and Black Rapid straps.  They appear to loosen the screws on removal.  Fuji Australia repaired mine at no cost.  I no longer use the Black Rapid straps after cracking the body of my XE1 around the screws even though I only hand tightened the attachment. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have they offered a camera replacement?

Get in touch with the Tokyo head office and file a complaint based on the fact that the same happened in many other places in the world and the camera was repaired with no charge. Link this thread to make your point.

Replacing 4 screws for $150 is unreasonable anyway.

Fill this form, they are generally very responsive and positive and have corrected the actions of local offices several times before. Also, Switzerland might be affected by the same problem which we have over here in the NL and that is that our repairs are sent to Germany with turnaround times even longer than the ones that you have been told but I cannot believe that screwing 4 screws in would take that long (or that much skill!).

Fuji needs to start using for these screws some thread-locking fluid! 

https://contact.fujifilm.com/cgi-bin/mail/form.cgi/contact_tokyo_headquarters?_ga=1.225719197.665361477.1432290617

Historically I’ve seen that the Japanese company has been more responsive than the local distributors.

I was joking some time ago placing my candidature to become the Fuji ombudsman but now I start thinking that the company should really appoint an independent “ super partes” person or authority to deal with the many caused of discontent like this, rather than the local shops or distributors.

Hi guys,

So I followed Milandro advise and fulfilled the Fujifilm HQ contact form. And this morning I had a nice news from the Switzerland team and they manage the repair of the lost screws for free !

So finally a good news, but I have to wait 2 more weeks to get ma camera back.

So don't be afraid to contact Tokyo if you're not happy with your local repair handling :-)

Thank you Milandro :-)

Cheers drsnake  :) this confirms, once again, that Fuji at central level is way more customer satisfaction oriented than the periphery is and this has been my experience here on the FR forum time and time again.

You see it takes a long time, much energy and a lot of money to create a bond with a customer and for something stupid as 4 screws you would lose all that time energy and money in an instant when you disappoint one or more customers.

I am sure that more of these matters could be solved this way. That’s why it would be good to have an independent mediation institute or person. As I said, a sort of ombuds-person.

Of course all of this has to happen within reason, if you yourself have caused a problem which didn’t depend upon, for example, these screws being exceptionally prone to get unscrewed ( as witnessed by several others with the same problem) then one shouldn’t expect to get free repairs but this was most certainly not your case and I am happy to have played a minor contribution in stimulating you to write to Fuji which, most certainly, has to be commended to have done the right thing.

• 4 years later...