Hi.

I bought a X-E2 to my wife.

When shooting in low light i saw sparks/flashes in display and EVF, not on pic afterwords.

Sent it to Fujifilm in Uk, they said its no fault and cleaned it.

Can someone here confirm this? Check my film on youtube (shoot with XPro1).

Just check your XE2 with lens protection cap on.

I have not seen this on my X-Pro1 or X-T10 or X-A2.

Sent from my Nexus 6 mobile

I don’t see “ flashing lights” at least not what I would define as such, what you see is the camera trying to amplify a scene with no light whatsoever since you have the cap on the lens,  and what you see is “ noise " ( the light dots on the screen,  they would be visible also in the viewfinder). Absolutely normal.

But was at a store and tried another XE2 now and it didnt have this.

Tried XT10 XA2 and XPro1, no problem at all.

In viewfinder its even more anoying, really bright sparkles like shining stars. Impossible at all to use at dark shooting.

You tried the other cameras under the same conditions? With the lens cap on?

This is only visible on my camera ( The X-T1) under these extreme and non realistic conditions of putting the lens cap on or attempting to shoot a night scene with no light whatsoever and maybe only starlight at a very closed aperture.

Again, I don[’t see or call “ light flashes” what you’ve registered on that video but to me they are variously colored dots ( “ snow” flakes at best) produced by noise generated by the sensor and display trying to amplify the light on a scene ( the lens with the lens cap on) that is far from realistic.

I don’t see any problem in as much as it appears to be normal and understandable.

Are you under the mistakes assumption that the image of the LCD and EVF would have to be just a black image as you would get looking through a reflex prism returning no electronically generated image, as the LCD and the EVF of a mirrorless camera ALWAYS does?

Because if this is what you think... you are wrong.

Even the live view image on a LCD of a digital single lens reflex camera, observed with the lens cap on will show these snow flakes (I cannot call them flashes).

Shooting in the dark ! (  :rolleyes:  what’s in a term!?) will always show some noise , the amount of this will vary and be influenced by how closed the aperture has been set and how small the amount of light there is.

From the video that you shot with the lens cap on ( no light at all on the sensor) I cannot see anything strange that wouldn’t be normal.

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ZVk_FCPWs&feature=youtu.be

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same problem, I believe. Flashing display, in lcd and evf, on my XE2.

This problem started when I got my camera repaired at Fujifilm Service Centre in Bangkok, last week. I had taken the camera in for repair after it overheated in the car. They told me the main board had gone in the camera. The board was replaced. I picked up the camera, and then took it directly to a commercial job I was doing. When I got to the job, and put a lens on, I realised there was a problem with the display - it was flashing, staticky, and going bright white. I managed to persevere and do the job, despite this (I used to shoot film, so I can 'shoot blind', to some extent).

Anyway, having to get back to Australia, I left the camera in Thailand for my partner to return to Fujifilm for the problem to be repaired.

I am not impressed with the Fujifilm Service Centre charging me a chunk of change and then returning the camera to me with this fault.

OP showed a video an there was no “ flashing” on it, none that I could see, I only saw noise. 

Mind you this is only visible to him when watching the LCD with the camera on and the lens covered...  :blink:  a rather extreme situation and a normal one to show noise, which he calls “sparks” there was no “ flashing" on the video .

If that is what you see this is not abnormal!

If you have some other problem this might have been caused by the repair but the white dots of noise when shooting in extreme low light or no light are absolutely normal.

Its not only with lens coverd, its allways in low light. I have been to store and checked other X-E2 and that did not sparkle with "stars".

Luckily i have spoken to Fuji Sweden and they promised to fix this.

I will do new video after repair is success and show the differens.

Our usecase that mostly shooting indoor night and outside night, this is a real problem and its not noise or something we invent to keep fuji repairs busy.

Its not only with lens coverd, its allways in low light. I have been to store and checked other X-E2 and that did not sparkle with "stars".

My X-T1 also "sparkles", but it is completely natural. As others said before - it's noise. With lens cap on it doesn't even matter what ISO I set.

Maybe with your camera noise level is higher then expected, but it is difficult to say without real life comparison.

My camera LCD screen seems darker and not so bluish (rather violet/purple).

again, in low light any digital camera shows noise which appears as dots and grainy image. Any camera I have and have had has done that.

Nothing that you have shown in that video above or in further descriptions is, in my eyes, anything out of the ordinary.

I am not saying that you are lying I am saying that you might misinterpreter this in thinking that it is abnormal.

What you are showing in the video is perfectly normal.

well, if I have to forget the video, which you have used as an illustrative way to show us what you meant, then I don’t know what you are talking about anymore.

Obviously I am not the only one who thought the noise shown in the video was what you were talking about. Now you are saying to forget the video.  :blink:

You asked for opinions and my opinion is that that video shows nothing abnormal, noise or otherwise whatever it is shown there is normal... If you are talking of something else that isn't shown in the video and you want people to comment on that, then I am afraid that there is no other way for us to understand what you mean than you finding a way to explain it or display it.

Let us know how the camera comes back from the “repair” ( this is, of course, assuming there is anything broken and needs to be repaired in the first place).

Good luck.

I get exactly the same behaviour on my X-E2 with ISO>=4000. Never happened on my X-E1. I assume the noise is due to the newer sensor.

Thanks for input, my problem is not noise from sensor since i cant record or playback the fault. Only visible in evf and screen regardless of iso.

Its the small electrical dots looking like stars.

My unit is now sent to Fujifilm again.

Thanks for input, my problem is not noise from sensor since i cant record or playback the fault. Only visible in evf and screen regardless of iso.

Its the small electrical dots looking like stars.

My unit is now sent to Fujifilm again.

No problem!

I should have been a little clearer - I get the twinkling on the screen, but the resulting image is not affected. It's only on the display.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I have now sent it again to service i UK, and they still dont read or understand my fault.

Luckily the Swedish Fujifilm understand my frustration and sent me a replacement unit.

And voila, its working as expected at LCD screen, no disturbance, and EVF is almost perfect, still some minor but these are the one you guys see also, so ok.

Im happy.

Thanks everyone that commented on my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an x-e2 since a couple of days and I have the same experience. I had FW3.0 for about 5min so I can't recall it had the same issue. Under FW 4 is indeed a problem. My x-e1 doesn't have this problem at all. I tried it under the same conditions. Very frustrating as you can't use manual focusing in low light now. I also have a flickering screen in low light but not constant.

I loved my x-e1 but can't say the same thing about the 2 version.

Edit. I attached an example. This is taken noon inside. If you press the shutter the noise is gone.

If you manual focus the noise stays :-(

Edit2: it seems the exposure also gots locked during zone or wide tracking. I think this shouldn't be the case right? Should the camera set exposure during the actual photo is being taken?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 5 years later...

This happens in my X E2s when I select the manual focus assistant (MF ASSIST)  to "peak", "white", "high". Try other focus assistant mode. The 'peak" "low" usually generates a less ammount of "white dots", which is more nice to use in low light. The "blue", "low" seems to generate the least ammount of "white dots" in low light conditions.