X100T VIEW MODE PROBLEM

fordfanjpn,

I have to use the keypad lock permanently, as my camera is permanently in my hand and switched on.... fingers touch buttons, and when you suddenly bring the camera to your eye you find it doesn't work, because you pressed a button and something changed... so I block the keypad. 

Blocked keypad means that nearly all changes have to be done in the main menu or the Q menu.

That certainly makes sense. But again may I ask what kind of changes you make that require the menus? You have me worried that I may be missing out on something by not getting more use out of the menus. I very much enjoy your photography and would genuinely like to know more about your approach to street shooting. Thanks. 

fordfanjpn, thanks for the compliments :)
ok, things I would change: 

TCL-X100 I need to access the menu if I attach or detach.

Flash

Macro

Focus point setting

just to name a few.

Nearly everything is blocked when the keypad is locked.

On my X100 and my first X-Pro1 I super glued many of the back buttons to avoid pressing them accidentally.  Blocking them helps, but it means you have to access nearly everything through the menu or Q menu.

Thanks Paul, now I'm beginning to see your point. Fortunately for me I never use any of those things, but for people like you who do, the change in operation is definitely a change for the worse. You have to wonder why they even bothered to change it. For you, the new joy stick on the X-Pro2 would probably be a nice addition, but considering that the X-Pro2 menus function like the X100T, I assume you won't be upgrading. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Enjoy your new "S"! ;-)

?????

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that one.... the D pad is blocked with the keypad lock, which means 4 customisable buttons, which I could have used for critical actions, aren't easily accessible, so I have to use the menu.  The reason for using the keypad lock is explained in an earlier post.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that one.... the D pad is blocked with the keypad lock, which means 4 customisable buttons, which I could have used for critical actions, aren't easily accessible, so I have to use the menu.  The reason for using the keypad lock is explained in an earlier post.

You are trying to use the camera in a way for which it was not designed.

Fuji does not understand that.

Fuji are wrong.

You are right. Fuji are criminally negligent by not making the perfect camera for you.

Fuji San should be tied to a post and shot at dawn every day for a month.

• 5 weeks later...

For me, this is the single most irritating (mis)feature of the X100T. Not only is it inconsistent with the earlier X100 series cameras (and most others, for that matter), it's also inconsistent with the way the image playback button works, which always defaults to the rear LCD (as you'd expect) even when you are in OVF/EVF mode (it does change to the EVF if you hit the view mode button once the image is already being displayed on the LCD, which is fair enough). If what Fuji Italy claims above is true, surely this would apply equally to chimping? I can understand why fordfanjpn finds the new behaviour useful, but I've seen far more negative than positive comments on other forums, including people who went back to the X100S because of it. I'd really like to see a new menu item in a firmware update that simply gives us a choice of where the menu should default to (if this also covered image replay, it might please stealth shooters as well). If you agree, let Fuji tech support know (they have supposedly forwarded my firmware request to Japan for consideration, so I guess the more requests they receive the better). I don't find the eye control workaround satisfactory, as it's draining the battery of an already power hungry camera for no good reason. For now, I'm just pressing the view mode button once to get the menu on the LCD, and counting three more presses afterwards (which have to be quite slow, or it skips a mode).

I think that Paul knows a thing or two about photography, while you only know how to log into a forum...

You are trying to use the camera in a way for which it was not designed.

Fuji does not understand that.

Fuji are wrong.

You are right. Fuji are criminally negligent by not making the perfect camera for you.

Fuji San should be tied to a post and shot at dawn every day for a month.

• 2 months later...

Paul, in your first post you state " nobody views their pictures in the viewfinder .....". I do. Could you elaborate on the lens falling off your X100s please, I'm intrigued ?.

me to and not only pictures but also changes in menu. exclusively.

missing this feature on the upcoming X100 series camera is a no buy decision.

Roger, Dr.S,

The lens became loose from the body after about 9 months, and by 11 months the gap was letting light in, and the lens was so loose it was no longer focusing.  It didn't actually fall off, but it became unattached to the point the camera was effectively broken.  It's the second X100 series that has exhibited that issue for me.

I buy grey imports to save money, as I don't treat my cameras very well, they are purely tools to do a job.  I'm aware they won't last, so I don't bother about guarantees.

Canon and Nikon last me many years, in some cases three or four decades, but I have gotten used to Fuji cameras lasting me on average less than one year.  I don't mind too much, I regard them as disposable cameras that do a great job while they last.  I have had 9 Fuji X series cameras so far, and they all died within a maximum of one year.  Great cameras, but just can't take the pace like Canon and Nikon.

Edited by Paul Crespel

Roger, Dr.S,

The lens became loose from the body after about 9 months, and by 11 months the gap was letting light in, and the lens was so loose it was no longer focusing.  It didn't actually fall off, but it became unattached to the point the camera was effectively broken.  It's the second X100 series that has exhibited that issue for me.

I buy grey imports to save money, as I don't treat my cameras very well, they are purely tools to do a job.  I'm aware they won't last, so I don't bother about guarantees.

Canon and Nikon last me many years, in some cases three or four decades, but I have gotten used to Fuji cameras lasting me on average less than one year.  I don't mind too much, I regard them as disposable cameras that do a great job while they last.  I have had 9 Fuji X series cameras so far, and they all died within a maximum of one year.  Great cameras, but just can't take the pace like Canon and Nikon.

Hi Paul,

I just wonder if the light leaks from the controls rings, the faux lens barrel, or the gap between the actual lens barrel i.e. the black plastic barrel and the decorative faux lens barrel? Perhaps you should let Fuji know this design fault so that they can redesign the lens.

I was seriously considering the X100T before I came across to your post, perhaps I should think twice now.

Cheers,

Boris

Hi Boris,

There is a gap and movement where the lens attaches to the body but the real movement is between the aperture ring and the focussing ring.  I have a feeling it may have been caused by prolonged use of the TCL, but cannot be certain.

I've written to Fuji on their official site form in Tokyo so many times now I've lost count, but have only ever had the courtesy of one reply, and generally I only get an automated receipt of the messages.

I wouldn't let my experience put you off.  I am very hard on my cameras, and anything other than Nikon or Canon just don't last very long.... but that's me, not so much the cameras.  Modern cameras seem so flimsy, but in gentle hands they should last a long time.

I would recommend the X100S over the T.  The T has a serious menu issue where the menu appears in the viewfinder by default.  If you then want to navigate you either have to keep your eye to the viewfinder, so everybody thinks you're taking photos, or you can press the view mode button to make it come up on the LCD, but then you have to press it again 3 times to go back to being able to use the viewfinder again.  This just doesn't work in fast moving situations.  Third stop detents on the aperture ring on the T are also annoying for me.  I prefer single stops, but that may not be an issue for you.  I have abandoned the T and bought another S.  They are now getting very difficult to find, so once my S reaches the end of its useful life, if Fuji haven't given me a menu by default on the LCD, I will be changing brand.

Really don't worry about the lens wobble, unless (possibly) you plan on using the TCL a lot.

Go for the S, it's a more usable camera, and the jog wheel is much faster to use than the four-way D pad buttons.

Paul,

Your point is valid, but also very unique and specific. I haven't heard of anyone making an issue of it to your extant, but if having idiosyncrasies was a deal breaker, none of us would be using a Fuji, am I right? ;) Anyway, having used both X100S and T, I think the T is a better overall camera. Everything is a little faster and the dial pad and buttons are more more like that of the XT-1. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. The wifi function is a very useful feature for me too.

Edited by plaidshirts

Hi Boris,

There is a gap and movement where the lens attaches to the body but the real movement is between the aperture ring and the focussing ring.  I have a feeling it may have been caused by prolonged use of the TCL, but cannot be certain.

I've written to Fuji on their official site form in Tokyo so many times now I've lost count, but have only ever had the courtesy of one reply, and generally I only get an automated receipt of the messages.

I wouldn't let my experience put you off.  I am very hard on my cameras, and anything other than Nikon or Canon just don't last very long.... but that's me, not so much the cameras.  Modern cameras seem so flimsy, but in gentle hands they should last a long time.

I would recommend the X100S over the T.  The T has a serious menu issue where the menu appears in the viewfinder by default.  If you then want to navigate you either have to keep your eye to the viewfinder, so everybody thinks you're taking photos, or you can press the view mode button to make it come up on the LCD, but then you have to press it again 3 times to go back to being able to use the viewfinder again.  This just doesn't work in fast moving situations.  Third stop detents on the aperture ring on the T are also annoying for me.  I prefer single stops, but that may not be an issue for you.  I have abandoned the T and bought another S.  They are now getting very difficult to find, so once my S reaches the end of its useful life, if Fuji haven't given me a menu by default on the LCD, I will be changing brand.

Really don't worry about the lens wobble, unless (possibly) you plan on using the TCL a lot.

Go for the S, it's a more usable camera, and the jog wheel is much faster to use than the four-way D pad buttons.

In fact I was not aware of the same menu issue on my XE2 till you mentioned it. Might have got used to all these Fuji quirks already LOL.

I will try to find a X100S in good condition if it's a good bargain, but thanks to the Fuji durability, warranty is mandatory i.e. better to get something brand new from any high street store. 

By the way how's your experience with the TCL? I've got a 32mm F1.8 Touit already so I may skip the converter unless it's worth it. 

Hi Boris,

I persevered with the TCL for a while, but for street, documentary and reportage it's not ideal.  Great for still subjects, but it slows the autofocus down considerably, really considerably, and I ended up with out of focus shots on nearly everything that was moving.  It's been consigned to my box of broken cameras, even though it's like new.... I can't get on with it.

I did wonder if it was the cause of the loose lens barrel, but then I remember that I had the same fault on the original X100, and that never had a TCL attached, so maybe that wasn't the reason.  However, for anything other than still subjects I don't recommend the TCL. 

I've tried the WCL and that was very good, but I never bought it.

• 4 weeks later...

I recall someone else saying that switching from LCD to viewfinder takes longer on the x100T than in other Fuji bodies so I understand that can be frustrating.

I would also add that SLRs with a regular OVF display menus on the LCD because their OVFs aren't capable of displaying the menus. It's not a fair comparison.

People have been asking for menus in the LCD only for a while now so it may just not be coming as a feature.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just signed up to post here about the x100T.

I've been a newspaper photographer for over 36 years and am now retired. I've used Nikon exclusively but are way too big and heavy to use as street cameras while travelling so after some research I bought the x100T.

I hate it!!

I hate not seeing the menu in the LCD and I'm constantly resetting it to factory default because I'm always touching some button and something changes!

I'll work with it a bit more but as Paul has done it might end up in a drawer!

Thanks for posting Paul, I've picked up a few pointers already.

BTW.... Begi Nabara what is your problem man??

Thanks for the lovely welcome BN!

I've learned a lot about my Fuji from Paul and the others already!

Thanks guys, I might not have to retire my X100T just yet!

Sorry for the rant. Paul drove me crazy, he's so exigeant.

Just get used to the eye sensor mode. Mine was slow at first and is now ultra rapid. It may just need breaking-in, and try cleaning the eye sensors.

Cheers.

Edited by Begi Nabara