Fuji X-T1 FW4.20 coming December 17

Patrick FR

I hope v4.2 improves low-light AF.

v3.10 firmware performed much better for my uses with longer lenses.

Ever since v4 firmware I find my XT1 hunting and failing to focus, even on good contrast targets I can clearly see in the EVF.  Worse still, it'll proclaim focus-lock when nothing in the frame is remotely close to being in-focus.  It no longer outperforms my much cheaper Olympus MFT body in the same conditions.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

55-200mm and 50-140mm lenses in particular.

It doesn’t work, no AF-improvement, it doesn’t focus between each shot in CL or CH, no faster AF in low light! This is some of the negative feedback we could read in the comments on FR and at the Fuji-X-Forum here.

So what… is Firmware 4 just crap? Well, sometimes (often?) it’s just a matter to find the right settings. Patrick has made up an extended list of tipps:

Enable Mechanical Shutter (MS) only. The camera won’t focus between each shot in CL or CH tracking, if ES only (electronic shutter) or MS+ES is enabled. Shooting fast-moving subjects with the ES doesn’t really make sense (rolling shutter effect).

Turn Off Face Detection! If you have Face Detection put to ON, the camera will focus only with CDAF. The faster Phase Detection AF (PDAF) works only if Face Detection is disabled.

High Performance Mode ON: many don’t even know that this features exists, like Calipedro here. It’s definitely worth to sacrifice a bit of battery life. Fuji should put this feature ON as standard.

Keep you subject in the center: Phase detection pixels are located in the center of the sensor. Keep your subject in the center and PDAF will give you a faster AF.

Use all Phase Detection Pixels with Zone AF 5×3: To take advantage of all the phase detection pixels, set you Zone AF box to 5×3 and place it in the center of the frame. Within this 5×3 box tracking will be very smooth… at least that’s my experience with my crazy dog.

Increase the size of the AF-box: If you use Single Point AF, increase the size of the AF-box as much as possible.

PRE-AF: The camera will continuously adjust focus, even if the shutter is not pressed (of half pressed). This can help to get the first shot in focus quicker. Downside: more battery drain.

LENS FIRMWARE: make sure that your Fujinon lens is updated to the latest firmware version.

Different Lens, Different results: According to the lens you use, the AF-improvement will be more or less (or not) visible. For example, I was very happy with the improvement of my 55-200, but I can’t really say if the 18-55 or 14 has become faster.

The learning curve: Practice and get used to the new features. See what works best in which situation

I have used my 50-230 with focus tracking only when the new software was introduced and there was no problem whatsoever in tracking moving objects, they were people on bikes and motor bikes, all the pictures were in focus and there was no hunting to speak of.

From previous threads showing dissatisfaction about the AF tracking functions, some people seem to be happy about this and some aren’t, one thing is for sure what appears to fuji to be quite easy to understand in operating this function, doesn’t seem to come across the same way to everybody.

I am afraid that the introduction of yet another firmware update will complicate things even more. There was a PDF with all the new functions of the manual to integrate the manual which came with the X-T1 but now we will obviously need another integration.

This is the manual. ( version 1)

http://www.fujifilm....1_manual_en.pdf

this is the new features guide ( extension 2)

http://www.fujifilm....n_es_ru_zhs.pdf

soon I suppose there will be a version 3....

Confusing? Yes!

I would like and integrated manual. Not a third party book ( too large and clumsy for me), but a spartan manual in booklet form  (even in pdf for each of us to print) straight from Fuji to take with me at all times, as I do with any equipment that requires functions that I don’t always use and therefore forget how to use.

THIS is the sort of fuji love that I expect, Ideally you wil find this at shops where you bring the old manual and get the new one, they may make this into a Fuji day where all Fuji customers get to know each other and the new models and lenses.

They do it with my KIA car why not with my camera?

Kia organizes each year a free check up. They always give me some present, fix minor things in the car, warn me about things which need attention and try to sell me a new car every year.

That’s really good marketing.

It's not the first time one of the subsidiary does/say something that the main branch disapprove.

We have had akin situation even on the same office where the PR would make announcement while the rest of the board would back that subject down.

Anyway, it's just a couple days away. If there is anything, that's cool. If not, well it's not like we were missing those extra features nor are they complete game changer like the FW 4.0 where the AF speed was drastically improved.

If that the case, that the various Fuji offices don’t know what all the others are saying or doing and FUJI-USA says one thing and then the main TOKYO office says another... they really should pull their act together!

Having worked for a company that had offices in different countries, different time zones and different languages ... what you are saying isn't as simple as you'd think.