35mm FORMAT MODE

The manual says that "35mm Format Mode" changes the aspect ratio to 35mm 3:2.

I tested this out with the same photo, first in L3:2 Mode, then in 35mm mode.

The L3:2 photo EXIF data showed an image size 11,648 x 7,768.  The 35mm Mode photo EXIF data showed an image size 9,552 x 6,368.

Firstly, not sure why the L3:2 wasn't 11,648 x 8,736 per the manual ... any ideas anyone?

Secondly, why is the 35mm mode shot completely different ... any ideas anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

The sensor is 43.8mm x 32.9mm. A 35mm negative is 36mm x 24mm.  36mm/43.8mm * 11,648 pixels = 9573. 

35mm mode just crops to the middle of the sensor in a section that's the size of a 35mm negative. This would be the area that "full frame" lenses are designed to cover. I assume it would be useful if you adapt a lens designed for "full frame" and don't want the vignetting that happens where the medium format sensor is larger than the lens was designed for.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have read in the forums that changing aspect ratio wont afect the raw file, and only when shooting raw+jpg ACR, Lightroom and other software 3:2 crop will be shown

I have quite the opposite issue...

I have found that (after posibly lending my camera to a partner) it has shot plenty of pictures in raw mode (not raw+jpg) in 35 mm (9552x6368) ratio.

I thought that that didnt affect raw files that should be original 4:3 (11648x8736), but, in fact both ACR and Lightroom import the raw file in 3:2 crop!!!

Is anything I can do to recover original files?

Thanks

Alfonso

Well, I found the reason for this issue.

It seems that (possibly after firmware upgrade) under the Shooting Setting (not IQ) menu there is a 35mm FOMAT MODE (on, off, auto) that, if set to AUTO, changes to 35mm as soon as the camera detects a 35mm lens!

I was using Canon TSE lenses and have never had this issue. I discovered it by chance shooting wothout a lens and later checking format in lightroom for Fugi lenses.

I guess you should bear this in mind. The option may be aceptable, but how it appeared in my camera with no further notice isnt.

BTW: I am still unable to recover those raw files to 4:3 format.

Any hint?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 5:59 AM, brianco said:

The sensor is 43.8mm x 32.9mm. A 35mm negative is 36mm x 24mm.  36mm/43.8mm * 11,648 pixels = 9573. 

35mm mode just crops to the middle of the sensor in a section that's the size of a 35mm negative. This would be the area that "full frame" lenses are designed to cover. I assume it would be useful if you adapt a lens designed for "full frame" and don't want the vignetting that happens where the medium format sensor is larger than the lens was designed for.

That makes total sense to me.

On 5/24/2023 at 11:50 AM, alfonso batalla said:

Well, I found the reason for this issue.

It seems that (possibly after firmware upgrade) under the Shooting Setting (not IQ) menu there is a 35mm FOMAT MODE (on, off, auto) that, if set to AUTO, changes to 35mm as soon as the camera detects a 35mm lens!

I was using Canon TSE lenses and have never had this issue. I discovered it by chance shooting wothout a lens and later checking format in lightroom for Fugi lenses.

I guess you should bear this in mind. The option may be aceptable, but how it appeared in my camera with no further notice isnt.

BTW: I am still unable to recover those raw files to 4:3 format.

Any hint?

That is an interesting question I hope you get a resolution I would like to see that.

• 7 months later...

An old post but have been playing with the new to me GFX100S. 

To answer a couple of questions, In the 35mm mode, either selected manually or on auto, the sensor acts as though it is a 60Mp 35mm full frame sensor. In theory. it seems like a good idea if you wish to use 35mm FF lenses via an adapter. However in practice, the camera is acting like a 60Mp 35mm camera and only records that area. It doesn't act like a magic format converter. So in reality you may as well switch if off and crop the images yourself.

It seems as though the camera only records what is on that part of the sensor both in the jpg's and raw files. So if the outer areas were not actually recorded, there is no way to recover something which was effectively never there in the raw file. Have now set it to "off" on my camera and will crop any photos with a hard vignette