Fuji X-E2s rumors

Patrick FR

• 3 weeks later...

so, despite your assurances of the contrary, about the firmware update for the X-E2, there will be a  firmware update which will be the main point to call the new model S, there fore the update of the XE-2 will NOT be the same as in the X-E2S, right?

Otherwise the X-E2 and the X-E2S will be the same camera.

Which makes me think that the X-E2 upgrade will be a minor upgrade. 

I don’t know whether to be happy or not about this if that is the case. If the X-E2 upgrade will not be substantial all the X-E2 owners who are on the fence, waiting to see wether to hold on to their cameras or not, will probably decide to let the cameras go. In that case there will be many on the market for a very good price.

Also, by the introduction of the new camera Fuji might lower the price of the old one.

We shall see.

Maybe it is actually some kind of special edition that comes pre-loaded with the new firmware - that afterwards all X-E2 user are getting anyway.

Like the Silver Graphite X-T1 when it was introduced.

That would be really great news but I'm really not sure about it...

AF improvement is what the X-E2 really needs, otherwise it is a great camera.

I'm not sure if the new 24MP sensor is going to be a really significant upgrade in daily use...

Adding a letter (why s, is a different matter) is preferable to making minor changes, not changing the product name at all, and the end user (us) having to check serial numbers to find out what revision we are buying.

I'd hope the changes will be more than firmware, but they may be marginal and/or mostly cosmetic.

Changes to a manufacturing process or a non critical part of the camera, may be all that changes.

Example

My backgrounds in computers, but if a cpu is moved to a newer manufacturing process, but all else remains the same performance will remain the same, but normally less power is used/heat generated. A new model number will normally be giving to the new part so the end user knows which uses less power and is the newer part (although they normally carry a slight premium, so the old stock is shifted)

There has to be some difference between the X-E2 and the X-E2S, it cannot be only the software pre installed on the S and the same software to be installed after downloading it, nobody in his right mid would accept to pay a premium ( because I think that the X-E2S will be more expensive than the still available X-E2, now, finally reduced at a price lower than the X-T10  :rolleyes: ) for the letter S!

I am not privy to Mr. Fuji thoughts on this or anything else, but there would have to be differences big enough to make people buy the S version.

Of course if all the S will bring is the same features of the X-T10 they will find themselves in the same pickle which they put themselves in if they would attempt to price it higher than the X-T10.

Despite the fact that some people (and that includes me) would prefer a camera without the hump and with the retro look of the X-E series, they would find very difficult indeed to convince large numbers of buyers to buy that “ look” if the performance is the same as the X-T10 but the price is higher.

Throughout the run of the two cameras together they have sold (in the NL) next to nothing in terms of older X-E2 as soon as the X-T10 made its appearance at the same price, €699, now they have discounted the older bodies of the X-E2 to €599 and are still not selling them ( people are, like me, playing the waiting game).

Something tells me that that S has a meaning that is not special and that indeed the S might be the difference. Could that be a SHUTTER difference? 

Welcome to the world of speculations :ph34r: . Feel free to stop reading right now because all it follows is a reflection born in the deep meanders of my mind.

If the older X-E2 gets no electronic shutter and the new one does... then the pricing policy and the name would be understandable.

XE-2, facelift without silent shutter , priced less than the X-T10, X-E2S featuring the same (or more?) as (than) the X-T10 and be priced accordingly ( the same as or more than the X-T10).

This, I think, won’t be taken kindly from the X-E2 owners who had been waiting a long time for the mountain to give birth to this mouse. If this is the case we are bound to see many disappointed X-E2 owners.

Again, all of this is nothing but speculations, I have nothing to base this upon. Just trying to deduce things from the very little amount of scattered clues.

I am waiting to see what will happen. I would like a X-E2 but I want one at a considerably lower price than I can find a X-T10, otherwise I’d buy one of those, new or secondhand.

Another thought.

If the difference is only the shutter, this is a difference they had to remove from the firmware.

In that case this opens the possibility to hackers to doctor the X-E2S firmware and make it suitable to give the S to the defrauded X-E2 update.

Just a thought. ;)

That would be really great news but I'm really not sure about it...

AF improvement is what the X-E2 really needs, otherwise it is a great camera.

I'm not sure if the new 24MP sensor is going to be a really significant upgrade in daily use...

That's what i'm saying, AF improvement is something it should be able handle via firmware update since the hardware is assumed nearly the same as the X-T10.

And we already know it won't get a new sensor anyway.

They can't release a brand new flagship X-Pro2 that is supposed to pave the way for all future X series cameras, and then give a medium level camera the same new stuff right away.

People do need a reason to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest.

On this point, what difference did the "s" bring to the X100? (and then the "t").

The S brought a huge amount of changes actually. The T arguably a little less, but still quite some interesting additions.

For starters the original X100 doesn't even have xtrans but a old 12MP bayer. (anyway, wrong topic)

People will always claim they don't care what's new, but most of the time that comes from people that already own a previous iteration and are just pissed that they don't have the latest anymore.

Nope. There's a major difference.

The XQ1 never got the XQ2's firmware.

At least mine didn't. :(

Did yours?

So I understand that as a major difference your E2 already got the FW4.0 update? Makes sence in your case and gives hope to us others.

Still can't see how they will handle a E2 FW4.0 and E2s at the shelfs? We'll see...

I bought the XQ2 as my part to support Fuji. A company must be in serious trouble if it must sell Firmware updates as new modells.

Not is serious troubles, but Fuji, like any other brand, are just being exposed to the serious pressure placed by the “ public opinion” on the internet.

Vociferous customers ( or are they?) on line demanding new software, new features, more and more, quicker and quicker. People stating publicly that if button or function so and so, or the looks of the camera, is not pleasing them, that they will divorce their affiliation to the ................ system ( fill the dotted line with any name you please).

Also expectations are running very high  among fuji customers.

Kaizen must have seemed a great idea to the Fuji marketing department when they introduced it, little did they know that this, from then on, would create precedents, expectations and disappointment when the expectations wouldn’t be met.

Kaizen must have seemed a great idea to the Fuji marketing department when they introduced it, little did they know that this, from then on, would create precedents, expectations and disappointment when the expectations wouldn’t be met.

Possibly. Maybe they were under the misguided impression that their customers were normal, reasonable people. 

The balancing act between profit and customer satisfaction is difficult when a new camera is different only by the software . But the hardware development at Fuji seems asleep if you look at the E2s rumors . Hopefully they have focused all resources on the Pro2 .

Sell-off? Super discounts? See X-Pro1...

That's exactly what I'm missing. The E2s will come with the Pro2. And the sell-off of the Pro1 runs for months. The E2 is still on the T10 level.

Anyway. In two weeks we'll all know :)

I'm interested to see what these changes are. If this camera gets the AF of the X-T1/10 and gets a more similar button layout, I'd get this over the X-T10 purely for the form factor.

I hope it sells for around $800CAD when it launches.