X-t1 - unable to deactivated flash red eye feature when RAW selected

drsnake

Hi,

I just start shooting raw after 18 month with my X-T1 ! And now, I have just discovered that I cannot deactivate the red eye feature when using my nissin i40 flash and RAW mode !!!

Anyone aware of that and if there is a workaround or setting for that ?

many thank

Best regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be like that...

Here's a link describing the same thing: http://www.lightingrumours.com/nissin-i40-fuji-review-7125

excerpt: "For example, when the face detection is turned on it is only possible to fire the flash with a preflash for red-eye reduction. This means there is a little delay between pressing the shutter button and actually taking the photo. OK for an amateur, but unacceptable for a pro. When you change the camera from RAW to JPEG+RAW suddenly it is possible to deactivate the red eye preflash, but not inside the normal flash menu, in a separate menu option."

May I ask why you don't shoot in RAW+JPEG mode? It is beneficial for reviewing your images in camera, since the embedded jpeg in the raw file has a much lower resolution, which makes it harder to check focus.

/edit: this form of red eye removal does not seem to be connected with jpeg-processing, it is hardware. Short pre-flash to force the subject's eyes to close the iris and thus prevent or weaken red eyes.

i've obseved the same red eye bug with firmware 4.2. in RAW mode. The EF-X8 and the EF-X20 are firing always a pre-flash in only RAW mode. This is quit annoying and wrong. The only cure seems to set RAW and (small) JPG.

RER only works with active FD, is it is described in the manual and my books. However, not being able to turn RER off in RAW only mode (when FD is active, of course) is a bug in my view, but I bet Fuji somehow sees it as a weird feature. For the time being, shoot FINE+RAW. That's what everybody is supposed to do, anyway.

• 8 months later...

Yes this seems to be a bug which happens regardless of the flash unit used. Using face detection with RAW always seems to produce a pre-flash and maybe half a second delay before the shutter fires. Two options to fix this, (1) turn off face detection, (2) enable RAW + jpg. No obvious reason why Fuji couldn't fix this.

Come on Fuji!