Reccomendations? Looking to adapt Macro lens(es) to X-E2

t1gsp

For decades, my AI-S f/2.8 55mm MicroNikor has been one of my most used lenses, both for macro photography and as my normal lens. At the time of purchase, it was considered one of the sharpest lenses on the planet. It came with a 27.5mm extension tube for extreme closeup. Mounted on a standard adapter, it provides an 82.5mm field-of-view. With the Metabones Speed Booster it goes back to the normal 55mm FOV at f/2.0. In every way, it works just fine. Given the option of two focal lengths with apertures to match, it provides great versatility.

That said, the superb 60mm f/2.4 Fujinon is optically on par or even better, and has the advantage of autofocus. Other than testing, I have not actually used the 55mm on any shoot. The 60mm is just too convenient, with no trade-off in image quality.

I have the 60mm macro, a lens that I consider one of the best I’ve ever owned.

Although some folks argue that you need a 1:1 lens even most of the classic lenses didn’t give you this without an extension tube. Tubes are cheap. Close up lenses are cheap too and can be quickly screwed on or snapped on many lenses and give you macro performance very quickly.

I also own a Pentax M42 100mm f 4 , great lens and it puts you at some distance from your subject. Other lenses which are often inexpensive are Vivitar and Tamron 90mm, you can find those with many mounts and very cheap.

Adapters are generally cheap.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using my old vivitar series 1 105mm in Nikon f mount with a cheap flea bay sourced adapter. When I've pixel peeped comparisons with my Fuji 60mm macro there is no real dicernable difference in sharpness - but the vivitar has a different colour shift (colder) than the Fuji lens. On the XT1 the balance of the old lens is ok and the extra reach is nice as well as being a true 1:1 macro. These series 1's come up occasionally on flea bay - usually go for about £200 in good condition and have a nice focus action and built in retractable lens hood. Build quality is fantastic (built by kiron in Japan) and there other brands of the same lens e.g lester dine and kiron.

See http://makingnottaking.blogspot.co.uk/2009/10/vivitar-series-1-105mm-f25-11-macro.html?m=

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a Nikon 105mm AF-D with a Fotdiox adapter.  It's very good but heavy and bulky compared to the 60mm.  If you intend to handhold, I think you may get better results with the Fuji lens. 1:1 is not really all that practical handheld.   If you are going to use a tripod, the Nikon will get you down to 1:1.  One feature of the Nikon I discovered from testing is that the sharpest aperture is f/14 which is great for DoF (the usual rule of thumb that f/5.6-o-f/8 doesn't seem to apply for this lens.)   Don't go past f/14 - the image deteriorates very quickly by f/16.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I use a Tokina at-x 90mm f/2.5 macro with a 1:2 ratio. I did not buy the Tokina adapter to reach the 1:1 ratio because I already own a Raynox DCR-150. In my opinion, it is more convenient on the field to use the raynox than dismount the lens and add the genuine Tokina adapter.

I like this lens for many reasons : crisp images, smooth focus ring, looks great on the X-T1 and pleasant bokeh.

Moreover, it is a versatile lens which allows to do some great portraitures or nature pictures.

You can check my album on flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61985257@N08/albums/72157662765493309

Only cons : CA can be strong and distracting at f/2.5. But you can handle with it easily with post-processing.

With respect for everyone's choices

The Samyang is a lens which weighs 730gr. and is almost 15 cm long.

It has a very long focussing action and of course it is manual in every aspect. It also costs $549

Yes, you have the magic 1:1 which is the only “ advantage” over other lenses.

Many classic macro lenses out there at a fraction of the price with or without 1:1.

The 60mm weighs 215 gr ( I have talked before about how not to use the original lens hood) and is 8 cm long. Due to the bad press give to it by many it can be bought at $300 or maybe even less.

If you equip it with a close up lens ( with one or more lens elements) or a tube you get to 1:1.

I don’t find more difficult to use this lens manually than other macro lenses and even with his slow autofocus it is a lot quicker than me with manual focus in most situations.

Actually, I have tested the Samyang, you can read the review here:

http://www.eyesuncloudedphoto.com/blog/2015/11/19/samyang-100mm-ed-umc-f28-macro

It is actually a combined m43/Fuji review (since I used the lens with both systems) but you can get an idea. Also photo samples are marked for camera used.

In a nutshell, my conclusion is that, although it's, objectively speaking, a fine lens, you can possibly find equally good or better options if you look around. If I was heavily into macro I'd consider a number of older manual lenses, at less than half the cost of the Samyang.

Another option, if 1:1 reproduction is desired, is using "smart" (AF-enabled) macro extension rings with regular Fuji lenses. I have seen an application of the 90mm with Fuji extention rings somewhere, which left me speechless.

• 7 months later...

I stand wwith Enzio and Dark. I own a Super Takumar 50 macro, super lens. The early version, not the super multi coated. Takumars have a particular atmosphere, They're beutiful to me, but it depends on your personal tastes. Being manual lenses quite cheap, I suggest you to get several, than chose which one/ones to keep.