XF100-400 rumors

Patrick FR

If the pricing is accurate, this is very, very good news. That's about $400-$500 cheaper than the comparable Canon and Nikon lenses (nearly $1000 cheaper than Nikon's was introduced at). I'm sure the Fujinon will be at least at the quality level of the recent Canon and Nikon optics, and much  better than Canon and Nikon's older offerings and the various less expensive third-party lenses.

Dan

i'd personally love this lens, however although it maybe cheap as far as comparable lenses go, other lenses in the XF mount are a lot easier for me to justify buying.

For me this lens would be used for wildlife photography which although I enjoy, it is not an every day event.

For the cost of this lens, I could pick up the 23mm and 56mm which would be used everyday.

I am also planning to go on a safari and am a little dubious of carrying multiple lenses through the jungle. (keeping them clean and the additional weight)

I expect most of the shots will be at the longer focal lengths, however I also worry about missing shots due to the time it takes to change lenses, although a 150-600 range would probably sufficient to not miss many shots

If an X-S2 is released with a 1" sensor, similar reach and is priced similar to other high end bridge cameras (e.g. Sony RX10 II), this may be a better option with enough left over to pick up a XF lens

• 3 weeks later...

If the pricing is accurate, this is very, very good news. That's about $400-$500 cheaper than the comparable Canon and Nikon lenses (nearly $1000 cheaper than Nikon's was introduced at). I'm sure the Fujinon will be at least at the quality level of the recent Canon and Nikon optics, and much  better than Canon and Nikon's older offerings and the various less expensive third-party lenses.

Dan

What?  How is this good news?  1800 euro is $2750 canadian, a good $350 MORE than the Canon 100-400 II - and $1000 more than the old 100-400.  I want this telephoto badly, but need for it to cost less.  May as well move back to Canon for long range.

When using the estimated euro pricing for the new fujinon tele-zoom, you should compare european prices for the other lenses.

Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM : €1250

Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS II USM : €1950

Nikon AF-S VR 80-400mm 4.5-5.6G ED : €2150

For me, fuji's rumored proposed retail price sounds good in this context, regarding that the price will go down after release.

What?  How is this good news?  1800 euro is $2750 canadian,..

... and the Canon 100-400 II is about 2000€. That would make it $3050 canadian.

But let's wait and see how it performs. If I had to guess I'd say it will be outstanding (like all the lenses from this year were) 

... and the Canon 100-400 II is about 2000€. That would make it $3050 canadian.

But let's wait and see how it performs. If I had to guess I'd say it will be outstanding (like all the lenses from this year were) 

Ok - I'll calm down.   :)  I just hope the price comes down after release...

Enjoy the images and the specs :)http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-first-official-images-specs-of-the-xf100-400mm-f4-5-5-6-ois-wr/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Good Afternoon,

After purchase of the X Pro 1 in the recent fire sale I find I am actually closer to birds with the 50 to 230 XC than the XS1 at full zoom. I intend taking the XA1 & 27mm lens to avoid changing lens on my forthcoming Safari and retiring the XS1. I will buy the new lens eventually but would not have gone down the present road if the XS2 was in the hand.

The XC ... was bundled with the XA1 a year ago but I really need a viewfinder to use it.

I will buy the new lens but not at once, I will see if the long awaited XS2 becomes a reality before deciding finally.

David

Interesting to compare these specs to the newer versions of the Canon and Nikon lenses in the same focal length range - both of which are optically superb and quick to focus. The old film-era models Canon and Nikon only recently replaced  (the new versions came out in the past couple years) are not valid comparisons, given what we hope and expect the performance of the Fujinon will be, even though they are still available and significantly cheaper than the newer lenses. The same holds for much less expensive third-party lenses.The newer, high-performance Sigmas are both much heavier and at least as expensive, although some ARE longer (the new, high-performing 150-600 Sports is more than twice the weight of the Fuji), and the "lesser" Sigmas and others are more in a performance class with the film-era Canons and Nikons than the new ones.

The Fuji is a couple hundred grams (just under half a pound) lighter than the Canon or Nikon (1375 grams to 1575 (Nikon) and 1590 (Canon)).

The Fuji may be a tiny bit (less than 1 cm (1/2 inch)) longer than the Nikon, and is about 2.5 cm (1 inch) longer than the Canon. This is less certain, and I'm hoping the Fuji is slightly shorter than we think, because the only length we have accurately for the Fuji is an extended length (which Canon and Nikon don't quote), then we have an "about 6 cm shorter" retracted length, but nothing exact. The uncertainty in the retracted length means that all we know is that it is about the same as the Nikon, maybe a tiny bit longer, and is a bit longer than the Canon.

The Fuji has exactly the same close focus distance as the Nikon, and doesn't focus as close as the Canon (by a significant margin).

The Fuji's 82mm filter size is either a misprint or a surprise.  It is theoretically possible to make a 400mm f5.6 with a 72mm filter size, although it is so tight that it's probably impractical without cheating on either the focal length or the aperture - a couple of older Sigma lenses did claim that combination, but it was at a time that Sigmas were routinely mismarked as longer, faster or both than they actually were. Both the Canon and Nikon are 77mm, as were their predecessors, and most other lenses that reach 400mm at f5.6.

The Fuji is probably a bit cheaper than the Nikon or Canon, at least in the US.. The Canon and Nikon are both in the lower $2000s, with occasional rebates bringing them just below $2000.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ridgeback

What is the point of whining that the gear from some other company is cheaper?

Instead of boring the world to death with infantile complaints you should just sell your outrageously expensive Fuji gear and buy that oh so much cheaper stuff from the competition. Put your money where your mouth is.

Considering the lense's specs, as available on the Aussie site for a short time today, it is very realistically priced. Good quality costs money. If you can't afford it it is certainly not Fuji's fault.

can't see an aperture ring from images, there is an aperture switch visible, how is aperture adjusted on the lens (I assume with a non visible dial?)

Since there is an R in the product name I assume for now, you don't adjust aperture on body (like XC and XF27 lenses)

in product specifications it does list aperture is adjustable in 19 steps

edit

seems the aperture ring is just unmarked on photograph

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I did just recently bought this lens and I am pleasantly surprised bij almost everything, but most of all the fact that you can zoom so far and stil have a stable view/ picture. I dis pay € euro 1999 including a teleconverter as a set and will get €150 cash back from Fuji. I regard this as a good deal value for money.