Capture One 9 Released

Oh cool, didn't expect that one!

One thing that's interesting, for me at least, they adressed really all the little points of critique I had! From the previous tagging system (come on, that was crap), to the small improvements in design to stuff like adding curves & color editor in layers.

What I'm curious about is the new "intelligent" brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments. So far, I often needed to touch the highlights/shadows sliders after adjusting contrast. I hope that's gone now.

This makes Capture One a very versatile and mighty image editing software, and an extremely good alternative to the subscription-only adobe lightroom.

/edit: two little questions:

1) Does anyone know if we can add a keyword to more than one image by selecting them all and just typing the keyword in? In C1P8, the keyword is only added to the one highlighted variant of the whole selection.

2) Will C1P9 have a "sharpening mask", like adobe has? Or is this already possible with C1P8?

Started with C1P 8, and the update is nice. I'm finding Capture One more intuitive than Lightroom/Photoshop

I've installed the trial yesterday, for me it's the opposite, I feel a bit lost, everything seems scattered to me. But C1 seems very powerful with its advanced layering system.

I've only loaded 2-3 RAWs for now so I still need time to get my own point of view, but what is the general consensus on how C1 handles the Fuji RAW files? Lr is known for not being that good with Fuji files, what about C1?

Edit: found partial answer for C1 8, still interested on feedback on v9 :)

Oh cool, didn't expect that one!

One thing that's interesting, for me at least, they adressed really all the little points of critique I had! From the previous tagging system (come on, that was crap), to the small improvements in design to stuff like adding curves & color editor in layers.

What I'm curious about is the new "intelligent" brightness/contrast/saturation adjustments. So far, I often needed to touch the highlights/shadows sliders after adjusting contrast. I hope that's gone now.

This makes Capture One a very versatile and mighty image editing software, and an extremely good alternative to the subscription-only adobe lightroom.

/edit: two little questions:

1) Does anyone know if we can add a keyword to more than one image by selecting them all and just typing the keyword in? In C1P8, the keyword is only added to the one highlighted variant of the whole selection.

2) Will C1P9 have a "sharpening mask", like adobe has? Or is this already possible with C1P8?

Yeah, a bit too soon imho. New features are great, but the software is not cheap even with upgrade or other discounts.

The contrast algorithm was definitely one of its lesser performing tools, way too strong for me and affecting too much of the image that it shouldn't. It's way better now, possibly better than LR, as it does just that (and only) what it's supposed to however far you push it. Most notably it doesn't affect saturation anymore. They did the same thing with the Curves tool called Luma (for obvious reasons), which is something unique to CO so far as i know, and can now be applied locally as well!

It's amazing really how fast they're improving. The difference between 7 and 8 was big, and just a year later another noticeably big bump with 9. That's one advantage of a fast release cycle ..

About your questions.

1) Of course, it would really defeat the purpose of a library if you couldn't do such basics.

But yeah these things are always confusing between different programs. Maybe this helps:

2) You can draw local adjustment masks and sharpening is among the available tools if that's what you mean.

If you mean sharpening edges without sharpening finer details like noise then use the Threshold slider, it's always been there and enabled by default.

I've installed the trial yesterday, for me it's the opposite, I feel a bit lost, everything seems scattered to me.

Don't worry that's completely normal with C1, but it has some really powerful features once you get the hang of it. ;)

Not all roses and sunshine though. Found that the 'manufacturer profile' for lens correction of at least one particular lens didn't correct properly, where LR did perfectly.

The new 35mm F2 to be exact, using the RAFs from dpreview's sample gallery. It creates very subtle mustache distortion that can be visible on some images with (supposedly) very straight lines. :-(

About your questions.

Thank you very much for your reply!

1) Of course, it would really defeat the purpose of a library if you couldn't do such basics.

But yeah these things are always confusing between different programs. Maybe this helps:

The new system looks cool, just like I want it to be. But to clarify: this was not possible with C1P8, right? As far as I know, the only possibility to add a keyword to multiple images was to add it to one of them, then mark all of them and drag them onto the keyword (which is crap).

2) You can draw local adjustment masks and sharpening is among the available tools if that's what you mean.

If you mean sharpening edges without sharpening finer details like noise then use the Threshold slider, it's always been there and enabled by default.

The first method (paint custom adjustment layer, then add sharpening, add new layer, copy mask from first layer, invert, decrease clarity to remove noise) is what I'm doing all the time.

For the threshold slider, what I'd like to have, would be a visible mask like in lightroom or photoshop, that shows which parts of the image will be sharpened.

Thank you very much for your reply!

The new system looks cool, just like I want it to be. But to clarify: this was not possible with C1P8, right? As far as I know, the only possibility to add a keyword to multiple images was to add it to one of them, then mark all of them and drag them onto the keyword (which is crap).

The first method (paint custom adjustment layer, then add sharpening, add new layer, copy mask from first layer, invert, decrease clarity to remove noise) is what I'm doing all the time.

For the threshold slider, what I'd like to have, would be a visible mask like in lightroom or photoshop, that shows which parts of the image will be sharpened.

You're welcome =)

Haven't been keywording yet in C1, only developing. But i highly doubt it, there are always many ways to Rome in software like this.

Although i guess anything is possible, since one other thing i almost can't believe is that it doesn't allow you to show images from subfolders, it doesn't even show if there are any in there at all until you browse all the way down to the very last folder. If you have a fairly structured hierarchy with 3 or even just 2 levels, like basically everyone, that can get really annoying really fast. You can set it to Hide Folder Hierarchy, but that makes it an even bigger mess. You also can't rename folders or do any kind of drag & drop with folders, only move sets of individual images. The only thing you can do with folders is make a new one, then drag images there, and delete the old one. But only IF the preferred location is visible, because you can't browse anywhere that you haven't imported from, and be careful that you choose a proper name, because remember you can't rename it. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

So in the Management department, Lightroom wins by miles.

-

It doesn't seem to have a visualization of the focus mask, but i don't think that's really important. I can judge its effect fine at 100%. Or you could raise the sharpening way up to its max, then use the artifacts that it creates to tweak the Threshold until they're only showing at the edges, and then put it back. As i said, many ways to Rome. :P

C1P has something way better though and that is the Focus Mask, something totally different but works like focus peaking. Makes it really easy to pick the image with the best focus and depth of field.

C1 9 is great.

Little tip for those of you that had reconfigured your working area in C1 8, if you goto I think its view or one of the headings at the top maybe Workspace, I will have to check when I have it in front of me. IF you click and scroll down the list you will see and entry something like User Capture One 8 Workspace, click it and it re configures C9 to match your old workspace pretty much dead on apart from the new features.

Another useful thing, it does not auto convert images to the new processing engine so if you have pic you are happy with it will leave them alone unless you tell it otherwize. You can create a new variant and then convert that to compare.

Sadly it seems as though focus mask and auto mask are still not working for X-Trans thanks to the 'non standard' sensor style.

I hope they fix this one day, but I guess maybe they like the rest of use are waiting for the X-Pro2 as they may as well get it right for the newest generation of sensor. This is extremely optimistic thinking on my part.

G