Your Personal X-T10 C1 to C7 Setup?

thowlights

I think what he meant was the "Saved Settings" system in the Q menu that lets you batch together a group of settings and quickly switch between them (it also works via the normal menus but is way more useful if you use the Q version). 

thowlights: I think you'll find few people with meaningful answers. That feature is generally considered not very useful because the "settings" it can control are almost exclusively JPG-only, like white balance, dynamic range and film simulation, none of which have any meaningful effect on RAW images. Most of the options people care about can't be controlled via the C-1-7 system that it's not worth using it for most serious shooters. 

Maybe someone will correct me on this, but it's come up before and a lot of people echoed my opinion. 

IMHO the best setting for C1-7 is COMPLETELY DISABLED. If you have one of the newer cameras you can edit your Q menu by holding down the Q button a long time then choosing what you want to show in each slot. If you just change the "C1" button to something else then it will never bother you again.

Focus instead on getting all your most important settings into the Q menu and removing the ones that you never change so that it's as clear and useful as possible, then practice using the Q menu to quickly make your changes. All the options you can control with C1 can be controlled by the Q menu, but not the other way around. 

Bonus tip: You can set multiple spaces in the Q menu to the same setting, so if you have extra space, add copies of your most-used settings so that it takes even less clicks to get to them no matter where in the Q menu you start :)

Jeremy's right. At first I thought these custom settings would be very useful, but as I mostly shoot raw, they are not helpful at all. Also, it gets very confusing since when you switch to one, you can't then switch back to how you had it set up before, you can only switch between custom settings, which I found especially problematic with the values I had set for Auto ISO.

Jeremy's right. At first I thought these custom settings would be very useful, but as I mostly shoot raw, they are not helpful at all. Also, it gets very confusing since when you switch to one, you can't then switch back to how you had it set up before, you can only switch between custom settings, which I found especially problematic with the values I had set for Auto ISO.

Yeah exactly! It's both useless and confusing in different ways :P

For ISO the whole Q menu is overall a bad choice. It doesn't show you the "auto" parameters of auto-ISO when you switch so it's not helpful at all IMHO. Especially on the X-T10 the function button ISO menu is REALLY GOOD, letting you quickly scroll through the 3 auto-ISO slots and "see what's inside". Better than the other Fuji cameras and infinitely more useful than the Q menu version.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a good use for this feature on the XT10, and it's been working well for me so I thought I'd share it here in case it helps anyone. What I did was to assign C1 to my standard auto ISO setting, C2 to ISO 200 and C3 to ISO 3200, and then assign the custom settings to a button.

Because C1 gets selected first every time, it means pressing the button always drops you back into Auto ISO on a single press, which is very useful - you don't even need to look at the screen or menu. Then if you want manual ISO you can go low or high with a click or two, avoiding the fiddly ISO menu.

I found the ISO menu is so long that it can take a while to get around it, and without this hack you can't drop back into Auto ISO quickly and easily. I also put a monochrome setting on C7, because I often use that and C7 is another slot you can get to fast when the custom settings are assigned to a button.

So now I like this feature again, and it's really improved my control over the camera.