Raw File Converter 2.0 (PC) VS in camera Raw Conversion

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I searched through the thread titles in this section and couldn't find a similar topic so I'll ask here.

Do the filters you can apply to Fuji raw files in Raw File Converter EX 2.0 on PC work the same as the engine the Fuji camera body uses? Does Lightroom do equally well with the film simulations? Is Raw File Converter good at processing raw files for other tasks too (not organization)?

Thanks for your help.

As an aside: I was never impressed with those filters that you can apply in camera. I tried them in Olympus and Panasonic bodies and always thought  I could get better results in Lightroom and it wasn't fun trying to do it through clunky menu systems. Then I tried the film simulation filters in a Fuji X-T10 and I was instantly hooked. It's so cool to see through the EVF exactly how the film simulation will look. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Royal,

I have been playing with this recently (today) and to my eye, Adobe ACR is the better option (at least for me). I use a PC not a MAC. Sharpening in ACR is better and the images have more detail.

Have a look at my results here:

http://www.mgiddings.com/photography-software/adobe-acr-raw-versus-silkypix-ex-2-0-raw-convertor

All the best,

Martin

As an aside: I was never impressed with those filters that you can apply in camera. I tried them in Olympus and Panasonic bodies and always thought  I could get better results in Lightroom and it wasn't fun trying to do it through clunky menu systems. Then I tried the film simulation filters in a Fuji X-T10 and I was instantly hooked. It's so cool to see through the EVF exactly how the film simulation will look. 

That's because they're legitimate Color Profiles, not effects filters like the ones you find on Olympus/Panasonic etc.

When we used to shoot film, each brand had various options that gave a slightly different look in color and contrast. Fuji is now doing the same thing with digital, and of course the fact that they have names is simply a matter of convenience. See if you have ever looked under calibration in Adobe LR or ACR  .. you'll find Film Simulations with a Fuji, while other brands have names like Camera Standard, Vivid, Muted, Portrait, but it's basically the same thing. In-camera you'd find them under something like Picture Profile rather than Film simulation, still the same. Fuji just went up and beyond and gave each of them a personality!

ps. Fuji does have filters as well under Advanced filter, those are the kind of effect filters that will make any serious photographer cringe, so please don't call the Film Simulations filters! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Convert in camera gives definitely good results, but I find it too awkward. Good to quickly  load a pic in the web.

:-) What is missing is an application fuji, for PC, with the conversion algorithm used in camera. :-)

-------------------

I think that right now it is absurd to discuss what is the best raw converter, I tested several, but for convenience ACR is second to none. I find great RFC, so I bought the older brother, pro studio 6. Excellent results.