Fujicell NP-W126 in a X-S10

Dimitrisot

Hello there. 

I have two months my new X-S10 and i need more power when i shoot outdoors.

The X-S10 has the NP-W126S battery. Is the Fujicell NP-W126 recommended for X-S10?

I'm confused with the "S" that follows the ..126.

And one more question. 

I charge my X-S10's battery on camera with it's USB cable on the wall, like i charge my smartphone. 

Is it OK to do that or do you recommend to buy a battery charger? 

Do you believe it is not safe to charge the battery on camera?

Edited by Dimitrisot

56 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

The NP-W126S batteries replaced the original NP-W126 about 5 years - supposedly they manage heat better - especially useful for 4K video.

I use an external charger but it's probably more habit than anything else. After taking photos I remove the card and the battery. Stick the battery in a charger and the card in a card reader.

Thank you for your responce and advice. 

I use a card reader too, but not a battery charger. I am confused at the moment if is necessary  to use a charger than the cable for charging the battery. 

I wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

After reading some horror stories of batteries swelling up after being charged in the camera (and they couldn't be removed), I bought a set of two Neewer NP-W126 batteries with a double charger from Amazon. Didn't notice the "S" was missing from the end, but since the original battery didn't last all that long, I figured 3 batteries would be better than one.

It turned out fine. I do a lot of wildlife shooting and one battery will definitely not last all day. The original battery lasts longer than the Neewers, but not so much that the difference is worth the extra expense. The charger will run off a USB-C or micro USB cable so it's compatible with almost anything and it will work in the field if necessary.

Note: I never shoot 4K video, but if I did I would probably use stock batteries or an external USB-C power bank.

Well i decided to buy a battery charger for w-126s battery. 

What charger do you recommend me to buy?

In my country, Greece, there ara availiable chargers like DuraPro, Jupio, JJC, Wasabi, NiteCore, Green Cell and of course the Fujifilm Charger which is double+priced than the previous i mentioned.

I do agree that the original is the better, but have you ever heard bad things about the other chargers? 

What charger do you use and how delighted are you about it?

• 3 months later...

I came across this YouTuber who does videos Fujifilm products who was explaining that when we directly connect the usb-C to the camera the power will pass through the circuit board and then to the battery. So he would try to avoid that voltage passing through the board every time to charge. 

Having said that the manual also says, connect only to the PC to charge and no mention of directly connecting to wall charger. Although I am using my 'SlimQ 100 W' multi-port charger with 2 USB-C ports which I use for my mobile phones. Worth noting the manual says that using the computer to charge will take 5 hours to fully charge the battery. They don't explicitly mention time duration for other power sources. Using my charger mentioned above, it fully charges within an hour or so (didn't actually note the time).

Since having watched that YouTube advice - I am trying to refrain from directly charging and have just ordered a third-party dual battery charger on Amazon (which includes 2 additional batteries).

Summing up, I think the USB-C port charging is a welcome addition that will come handy in those situations when we forget to take along spare batteries but have access to charge from a friend's home or public spots with mobile chargers to quickly add some juice to the battery.

Edited by Sany

Quick update: I received my spare batteries and charger. For some reason most of these dual battery chargers are using only USB cable to charge. I was expecting a truly direct plugging into wall socket. I noticed some are available but they dont have dual battery but single. Anyway, the other let down was they used micro-USB port. I tried charging and notice that the charging speed is much longer (but definitely faster than the '5 hours charging time connected directly from computer' as per manual) than the direct USB-C connection using my 'Slim-Q 100 W' adapter. The brand I went for is 'ENEGON' and notice a lot of buyers with good rating. Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, Sany said:

explaining that when we directly connect the usb-C to the camera the power will pass through the circuit board and then to the battery. So he would try to avoid that voltage passing through the board every time to charge. 

there is never a direct voltage transfer from the charger to the battery. there is always a charging circuit in between to manage everything. the second part though makes absolutely no sense...

the differences in charging times you are seeing are due to the power (voltage x current) the chargers can deliver. DPReview had a quite good and comprehensive video on their youtube channel explaining all the PD protocols. better check that one out

Edited by andrei89

I am not sure of the first part - have no clue on the electrical terminologies. All that I was saying was that the specific YouTube did mention that the current flows through the board before reaching the battery. I can't vouch that as I am not an expert on this but just that I take caution.

Your point reference to second part - not sure what you are trying to make. Yes I am aware the USB ports out of a computer will provide  lower than the dedicated powerbanks/PD chargers that will be based on their capabilities. I dont see any other reason for the charging time difference (5 hours from a computer as per manual - however it didn't take me that long when i charged the first time from the computer).

Edited by Sany