xpro3 travel lens

It depends a bit on how long or wide you need the view angle to be and whether you still want to use the OVF or rely on the EVF. The 16-80 is a good lens but not especially great. In terms of image quality I'd prefer the 18-55 and pair it with a 14. That makes a great travel kit with only one filter size. If you don't mind a bit bigger, the 16-55/f2.8 is even slightly better than the 18-55 and it is weather resistant. If 16 is wide enough, you can forfeit on the 14 and get around with one lens.

Fuji still has it's 18-135 which is relatively cheap as second-hand since the 16-80 arrived. It's not as good though and slower in aperture. In terms of image quality I'd rank the Fujinon standard zoom lenses as:

1. the 16-55/f2.8*

2. the 18-55/f2.8-4

3. the XC 15-50/f3.5-5.6

4. the 16-80/f4*

5. the 18-135/f3.5-5.6*

6. the XC 15-45/f3.5-5.6

The * marked will block a significant part of the OVF on an X-Pro3. Also bear in mind that the frame in the OVF gets really small  above approx. 50mm. All lenses with variable aperture only have their fastest aperture at the widest point and quickly move to a slower aperture. The 18-55 e.g. is f2.8 at 18mm, but already f3.3 at 23mm and f4 at approx. 35mm (if memory serves me well).

If you need a really longer solution than 80, the Tamron 18-300 was just introduced, but it's a bit of a big gun on an X-Pro3. Tamron has an excellent 17-70/f2.8 that seems perfect for APS-C, but we'll have to wait and see whether it will come for X-mount.

Sigma is rumored to start offering X-mount lenses in 2022 and their recent 18-50/f2.8 is highly acclaimed for Sony E-mount APS-C, so hopefully that would be one of the first.

Edited by Herco

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm taking my X series one of my favorites to travel with is my 18-55 lens, plus the 50-140 2.8. It all depends on where I'm going, what I plan to shoot, and if I'm driving or flying.  If I'm driving I'll allow myself a few other lenses.  This coming summer I'm headed to the Yukon and Alaska for two months.  I'll be driving - self contained but even then I need to be careful as I need to load my truck with so much stuff. I "plan" on taking my 18-55, my 50-140, my 55-200 (for wildlife) and then my GFX gear.

But, that is still up in the air...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I partially agree with @Mentalo, the ideal kind of lenses for the X-PRO3 are the primes.

But I think that is same situation an all-round zoom is more flexible.

The question is that this zoom must have a good quality and a portability adapted to user needs.

In my opinion the options are as follow.

Fujinon XF 18-55/f2.8-4 or XF 16-55/f2.8

I own both lenses.
The 18-55 is a good lens, small and light so very portable. It has the stabilization and the only caveat is that it isn't weather resistant.
The 16-55 is a fantastic lens but is huge and heavy. It isn't 
stabilized but it is, IMHO, a perfect all around lens.

Fujinon XF90mmF2 R LM WR if you need a telephoto lens.

Perhaps you are thinking to a ultra-wide-angle lens, in this case you can evaluate the Laowa 10/f4 Cookie that is really small, not perfect but with a reasonable quality.

Bye
Andy

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...