Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

You raised that point a couple I'm of times already and I am going to offer a counter argument which is the physical space of all your primes take compared to the zooms, I would have your coverage with 2 lenses and a body, I could walk around with just a small lens bag and be good about my need.

There is a small bag I often use. It's outside dimensions are 11" wide, 8" deep and 7 1/2" high. I comfortably fit 2 Fuji bodies and 4 lenses (1 on each body) in that bag. By comfortably, I mean everything immediately accessible.

The D500 with the Sigma 50-100 attached is 10" long... so the only way it would fit in this bag is length-wise. Turn it a bit sideways and you could put the 18-35 Sigma in as well but that is about it... and it would weigh a pound more than my 2 Fuji bodies with 4 lenses.

My bag happens to fit the Fuji's well and a taller bag would be better for the Nikon and Sigmas, so this is a biased comparison, but I am including 2 bodies so I don't think there is much difference in physical space either.

I have the flexibility to go out just with my X-Pro2 and the 56/1.2. It is so light and agile. Using the Sigmas as prime replacements, then that means the D500 plus the Sigma 50-100. That combo is 5.2 pounds. The X-Pro2 + 56 is 1.9 pounds. That is a huge difference in handling.

In your case, when talking about such a heavy APS-C setup. why not stick with full frame? Nikon has a much better FF lens selection including lots of quality primes. The D750 + the 85/1.4 and the 135/2 together still weigh less than the D500 + the Sigma 50-100. 

Anyway, it's all good... just some friendly discussion  :)

Edited by deva

[...]

In your case, when talking about such a heavy APS-C setup. why not stick with full frame? Nikon has a much better FF lens selection including lots of quality primes. The D750 + the 85/1.4 and the 135/2 together still weigh less than the D500 + the Sigma 50-100. 

Anyway, it's all good... just some friendly discussion  :)

I have both a D3S and D800 as work cameras and while they have nice selections, the lenses are much heavier and also a lot more expensive. The D500 has at least as good IQ as the D750 but is much better on the ISOless, which is something I grew accustomed with Fuji sensors. Plus, the D500 allows me to go really deep in low light performances, the F1.8 zooms added on top of that, I could take picture in close darkness and still be confident about what I captured.

I really hate to walk around with the trinity set of pro lenses, with a D800 body, it gets really heavy, a D500 with the 2 Sigmas will be really light compared to that. Of course it is going to be heavier than the Fuji, but it serves another purpose. I need a lighter workhorse, something I can trust no matter what. Fuji is good, but not yet to that point. There is always a little something when you reach extremes.

The X-T1 6400 ISO files are barely usable, let's not even talk about the 12k ISO or anything above, the D500 at least have cleaner ISO up to 12k ISO easily, even the 25k ISO files are usable, that's already 2 stops of usable files, toss in the F1.8, I am pretty good when lights go away.

Another point that matters a lot for me is the lens swapping, I really don't like doing that, part of the reasons why I love the XF 18-135 lens on my X-T1, even if they are heavier, I just need to swap between 2 lenses and a body that could take 1250 pictures, but based on personal experience with Nikon DSLR, I could very easily double up that number. I have seen a colleague going to an event coverage with a D800 with less than 8% battery left, came back with 500 pictures and still 2% battery left. I could have burned at least 2 Fuji batteries under the same conditions.

And last point, those Sigmat Art zoom lenses are made with DX format in mind, a FF would have quite a vignetting with those lenses.

Agreed about the friendly discussion, I moved away from FF Nikon from my leisure time for exactly the same reasons you have cited before, ie. overall weight. But that D500 is not going to replace the Fuji, both serves different purposes and usage. But I still need to try the 50-100 first before I will make any decision, but the Sigma 18-35 zoom is already on the list of "must buy if D500".

As for the weight, I have worked before with a 70-200 F2.8 on a D3S, that was heavy as an anvil and about as agile now that I remember it. So yeah, the D500 even with the 50-100 will feel rather lighter compared to that.

As for the weight, I have worked before with a 70-200 F2.8 on a D3S, that was heavy as an anvil and about as agile now that I remember it. So yeah, the D500 even with the 50-100 will feel rather lighter compared to that.

The Sigma 50-100 weighs the same as the Nikon 70-200/2.8... so not much lighter feeling. There would be savings in the camera body though.

I didn't just switch to Fuji because of the weight savings, but also because of the solid line of prime lenses. I have the Fuji zooms for when I want them, but I like shooting the primes. It is a different and for me, a more kinesthetic experience. Without a zoom, I move myself more. 

I miss the long battery life of my Nikon kit... I miss the speed of it, though the X-Pro2 is definitely closer than the X-T1. 

My guess is that we will see the x-t2 in the beginning of August - taking into account the rumored relase dates and adding the earthquake delay.

And...

According to a guy I met who claimed he actually had his hands on an x-t2 claims that it is substantially bigger than the x-t1. If that is true, and if it is because of the added 4K video, I think it is sad. The x-t1 has such a perfect size.

He also claimed that the prize tag will be closer to the x-pro2's than the launch prize of the x-t1, which is also sad.

I hope he is wrong about all that he told me :-)

Edited by petergabriel

Hi guys!
I'm new around here... just found this forum when desperately trying to find some opinions on buying the X-T1 now or wait...

The thing is: I'm from Europe (Portugal) and the X-T1 here costs 1345 dollars. Until the end of May Fuji has a cashback campaign of 224 dollars. With the soon to arrive X-T2 scenario I don't know what to do... these are the possible scenarios:

X-T2 is released at the same price as the X-T1. X-T1 price will drop (more than $200?) and I'll just need to chose between older or newer.

X-T2 is released at a higher price. X-T1 price is the same and I'll lose the cashback offer.

X-T2 is released at whatever price but X-T1 gets sold out and I have no other choice...

Which do you guys think its the most likely thing to happen? I use to make the wrong decision so I hope you are far wiser than me :)

Thanks!

Hi guys!

I'm new around here... just found this forum when desperately trying to find some opinions on buying the X-T1 now or wait...

The thing is: I'm from Europe (Portugal) and the X-T1 here costs 1345 dollars. Until the end of May Fuji has a cashback campaign of 224 dollars. With the soon to arrive X-T2 scenario I don't know what to do... these are the possible scenarios:

X-T2 is released at the same price as the X-T1. X-T1 price will drop (more than $200?) and I'll just need to chose between older or newer.

X-T2 is released at a higher price. X-T1 price is the same and I'll lose the cashback offer.

X-T2 is released at whatever price but X-T1 gets sold out and I have no other choice...

Which do you guys think its the most likely thing to happen? I use to make the wrong decision so I hope you are far wiser than me :)

Thanks!

Any comments on this is pure speculation.  

My guess is that the XT-2 will come out somewhere around the cost of the Xpro2 that is $1699 +/- $200.  Actually if not $1699 the + $200 to $300 is more likely.   The Xt-1 is on sale now most likely to reduce inventories so when the XT-2 does come out the XT-1 may be more difficult to find but likely available afterwards for quite some time, possibly with no more reduced pricing.

If the XT-1 were to get sold out there will most likely be a glut on the used market for them at reasonable prices,

Hi guys!

Thanks!

No way X-T2 will come out at X-T1 prices as they are now. X-T2 will be quite a bit higher than the current X-T1.

I really want an X-Pro 2. I really like the rangefinder design; however, I have no use for the optical viewfinder. Mostly I'm interested in the joystick and the 24 mp sensor. I remove my glasses to shoot on my XE-2 and the diopter is maxed.

Is the viewfinder on the XT-1 (and presumably on the XT-2) easier for those of us who wear specs? Both models—XE-2 & XT-1—list the eye-point ar 23mm and the dioptric adjustment as -4 to +2…. On paper they look the same.

I have to have an extra grip, so the XT design appeals in that regard. I also fail to comprehend why all cameras don't have tilting displays. I'm really resistant to the SLR ethos, but the combination of features (grip, tilting LCD, higher-relief viewfinder) may make me wait to see the XT-2. Hope it's announced sooner rather than later.

Didn't the x-pro2 2 match the initial price of the x-pro1? If so, why would the x-t2 be priced higher than the x-t1? I mean the x-pro2 got WR and new tech. The x-t2 "only" gets new tech.

Heck no ! The X-Pro2 is 50% higher than the X-Pro1 at release date.

And the new tech is the expensive part, a lot of us are thinking that the X-T2 could also be bigger due to the 4k film feature and overheating issues. Thus it won't be the same internal infrastructure as they need to arrange everything to allow better heat dissipation while still maintaining WR and the possibly roomy EvF that we all got used to from the X-T1.

Heck no ! The X-Pro2 is 50% higher than the X-Pro1 at release date.

And the new tech is the expensive part, a lot of us are thinking that the X-T2 could also be bigger due to the 4k film feature and overheating issues. Thus it won't be the same internal infrastructure as they need to arrange everything to allow better heat dissipation while still maintaining WR and the possibly roomy EvF that we all got used to from the X-T1.

You are wrong.  The Xpro1's release price is exactly the same as the Xpro2.    And I suspect the XT2's release price will be exactly the same at the XT1, $1299.

https://www.google.com/#q=fujifilm+x+pro1+release+price

FUJIFILM X-Pro1 (body only)$1,699.95

Now is the best time to buy the XT-1. B&H is selling it for short money and throwing in the vertical grip free. Unless you're on an ego trip and must have the latest, greatest, it is crazy to buy what looks like the same machine with a different model number.  By the way the XT-2 should come in at about USD 1,800.  

Now is the best time to buy the XT-1. B&H is selling it for short money and throwing in the vertical grip free. Unless you're on an ego trip and must have the latest, greatest, it is crazy to buy what looks like the same machine with a different model number.  By the way the XT-2 should come in at about USD 1,800.  

wow, $1800? really?   Never mind looking at Fuji's track record... lets all just pull random number out of our behinds.    Since Fuji likes to mimic Leica, and the Leica SL $7500 so my guess is $7000!

Edited by d750guy

Everywhere we have always said that much of the high cost of the X-Pro1 / 2 is due to the hybrid viewfinder. The X-T2 does not have it. So in my opinion the price of X-T2 should be aligned to the launch price of the X-T1 ... around 1200 (this was the price in Italy). Or, at least, it should be so ...
Otherwise, it would just marketing ...

$1,499.00 at launch then it will drop to $1,299.00 after 6 months. :D

So I will buy it after 6 months.

I thought it was like iPhone, should price seamlessly as the previous generation. iPhone is once per year, XT-1 that is once per 5 years...

Sorry, but that has to be one of the most mind numbingly silly posts in this thread. Looks to be the same model... With a new sensor, joystick, processor and 4k? Please, use at least an iota of common sense before hitting that submit button.