Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

They usually do new camera announcement at big Photography conventions, and between now and end of years, there is only Paris in November, which is getting less and less attendency and Photokina in September. Not much else to really make a big announcement like a second version of a well prized camera.

It's really not far fetched to guesstimate the announcement being done during Photokina, plus we got semi-confirmation about the XF 23mm F2 also being announced at that time, would make sense to have a lens + body combo during that event.

I also think that X-T2 will be announced at Photokina.

But there are many rumors that Canikon will also introduce more serious mirrorless there. If that's true, any other product like X-T2 will be almost ignored by different media, unless the X-T2 has real innovations inside.

Edited by sebas1430

But there are many rumors that Canikon will also introduce more serious mirrorless there. If that's true, any other product like X-T2 will be almost ignored by different media, unless the X-T2 has real innovations inside.

and who cares what different media is about....

They usually do new camera announcement at big Photography conventions, and between now and end of years, there is only Paris in November, which is getting less and less attendency and Photokina in September. Not much else to really make a big announcement like a second version of a well prized camera.

It's really not far fetched to guesstimate the announcement being done during Photokina, plus we got semi-confirmation about the XF 23mm F2 also being announced at that time, would make sense to have a lens + body combo during that event.

could definitely see the 23mm f2 and the xt2 announced at the same time.

canon and nikon may dominate the pro/consumer dslr market but they are absolute sht when it comes to aps-c mirrorless.   I doubt anything they release will overshadow the xt-2 considering how good the xpro 2 is and how many people are waiting for the xt2.

and who cares what different media is about....

Personnally, I don't care about media. But as a company, if you are about to launch a new hot product, you only wish that your product will get the attention so that people can speak more about your product.

[...]

I doubt they would be releasing anything this year, unless they have been keeping another hidden project like the D500. I know that Nikon is working on a FF mirrorless camera and they are most likely on the testing phase, but I don't think they will announce anything worthwhile, specially not after D5/D500 from earlier this year. The D500 is still severely lacking on the lenses, beside a few decent one, nothing much has been released in the past 3 years for the DX format.

As for Canon, the M3 series is just so bad I don't even get how they have been able to make several version of it, plus Canon home made sensor is well known to have several issues if you have missed your exposition. So I don't think they would have anything to release in the mirrorless department for Q3-Q4 this year. Maybe early next year or something ?

canon and nikon may dominate the pro/consumer dslr market but they are absolute sht when it comes to aps-c mirrorless. I doubt anything they release will overshadow the xt-2 considering how good the xpro 2 is and how many people are waiting for the xt2.

Those companies haven't thrown any serious development into the category yet either. Both are rumored to be putting out high end mirrorless prodects this year, and Canon hasn't even implemented their Dual Pixel AF in an EOS-M body yet.

The Mirrorless market isn't expanding photography, it's shifting the user base, as soon as Canon and Nikon offer a compelling MIrrorless body that integrates with their existing systems it's going to change the landscape.

I almost bought a Fuji lens yesterday in anticipation of the X-T2 coming out this summer, good thing I didn't. This fall I'll be comparing bodies from Fuji, Canon and Sigma. At this point any one of them have an equal shot at getting my $$$.

(Sigma is the wildcard, but they currently have the most affordable library of high end lenses on the market, with no signs of slowing down, all they need to do is make a reasonable body with reliable AF to complete a compelling first party system.)

Edited by 9.V.III

The D500 is still severely lacking on the lenses.

Hm. Let's take a closer look at that one shall we? Yes, the D500 is lacking a few compact wide-angle lenses. But the D500 can use the new Sigma 1.8 zooms. (Or any other Sigma for that matter.) And the Zeiss stuff. And all the exotic long glass, macro glass, specialized glass that Nikon makes or ever made. And you can rent any of those that you can't afford to buy. Sorry, love my Fuji gear, but I had to reality check that one. People who seriously need/want a D500 aren't really that worried there's no 18/2 DX pancake available for it... but rent a 400/2.8 and go birding? Oh, yeah - you just can't do that with any Fuji... yet.

Until you can - and until ANY mirrorless camera can focus and track a moving target as well as a D500 or a D5 (or the Canon equivalents) - I'll be sporting an F mount in the big bag with my XF mount in the little one. Both are wonderful tools to have.

Edited by Max_Elmar

[...]

More than just a few compact lenses, the format is severely lacking on sub 100mm primes, aside the 35mm F1.8 there is really not much else.

But I do agree that Sigma did upped the game with those 2 F1.8 zoom lenses, the 18-35 is already well known for its quality and performance, the 50-100 seems to be going in the same direction too, but I am waiting to be able to hold it before I will make any judgment about it.

I am still waiting for the XT-2 to decide if the D500 could be a nice addition to my collection or if the XT-2 would be better, lens wise I am planning for both F1.8 Sigman zooms, the Nikkor DX 16-80 F2.8-4 and most likely the Nikkor FX 300mm F4 for the long end.

Hm. Let's take a closer look at that one shall we? Yes, the D500 is lacking a few compact wide-angle lenses. But the D500 can use the new Sigma 1.8 zooms. (Or any other Sigma for that matter.) And the Zeiss stuff. And all the exotic long glass, macro glass, specialized glass that Nikon makes or ever made. And you can rent any of those that you can't afford to buy. Sorry, love my Fuji gear, but I had to reality check that one. People who seriously need/want a D500 aren't really that worried there's no 18/2 DX pancake available for it... but rent a 400/2.8 and go birding? Oh, yeah - you just can't do that with any Fuji... yet.

Until you can - and until ANY mirrorless camera can focus and track a moving target as well as a D500 or a D5 (or the Canon equivalents) - I'll be sporting an F mount in the big bag with my XF mount in the little one. Both are wonderful tools to have.

Reality check? How about not even 0.1% of photographers are ever going to rent a 400/2.8... and hundreds of times as many photographers are interested in small compact and good quality lenses.

All I know is that I bought an X-T1 because A)  I wanted something more compact, B) I don't need the latest, fastest, most awesome megapixel camera as an enthusiast, and C) I'm happing to move away from Canon (for good) because I don't feel as though I have a connection with the company or their products.

I am curious as to what Canon will be unveiling this year and I do hope they are intent, as they say they are, to become a leader in the mirrorless market because that will push all companies to be even better.  But as good as their product may be, I soured on Canon long ago (maybe even before I bought my last 7D but felt tied into them because of the few lenses I owned).

A few pros and cons

Some of the things that "worry" me about the x-t2's higher pixel count:

• More pixels, means more shaky images. I still remember going from Nikon D50 with 6MP to D90 with 12MP. I had to get used to holding the camera more still.
  • More pixels means less impressive high iso improvements from the x-t1. If they kept it at 16MP, which is more than enough for most people/prints, with the new processor the high iso performance would theoretically be otherworldly.
  • More pixels require more processor power. The AF will suffer. Think of the AF speed we theoretically would get with 16MP and the new processor.
  • We are gonna need a bigger SD card. 24MP just takes up more space.

Some of the things I look forward to about the x-t2's higher pixel count:

• More pixels means more details.
  • Fujinons excellent lenses will shine even more.
  • More pixels means bigger prints and better cropping options

So, mostly cons. Can you help me find more pros?

Edited by petergabriel

A few pros and cons

• More pixels, means more shaky images. I still remember going from Nikon D50 with 6MP to D90 with 12MP. I had to get used to holding the camera more still.
  • More pixels means less impressive high iso improvements from the x-t1. If they kept it at 16MP, which is more than enough for most people/prints, with the new processor the high iso performance would theoretically be otherworldly.
  • More pixels require more processor power. The AF will suffer. Think of the AF speed we theoretically would get with 16MP and the new processor.

Some of the things I look forward to about the x-t2's higher pixel count:

• More pixels means more details.
  • Fujinons excellent lenses will shine even more.
  • More pixels means bigger prints and better cropping options

So, mostly cons. Can you help me find more pros?

your cons list is dumb.  

- You can counteract "shaky images" by using proper technique and the shutter speed = 1.5 times focal length rule and never go below 1/60th, tripods, monopods, OIS.  There are a million ways to counter "shaky images"

- High ISO does take a hit when you increase megapixels however when you downsample 24mp to 16mp, you get cleaner and sharper images than just 16mp images alone. 

- There is no relation between megapixel count and autofocus speed!  NONE!

- SD cards are cheap, cheap cheap!  You're complaining about spending $20 for a back up SD card on a $1400 camera?? 

your cons list is dumb.  

- You can counteract "shaky images" by using proper technique and the shutter speed = 1.5 times focal length rule and never go below 1/60th, tripods, monopods, OIS.  There are a million ways to counter "shaky images"

- High ISO does take a hit when you increase megapixels however when you downsample 24mp to 16mp, you get cleaner and sharper images than just 16mp images alone. 

- SD cards are cheap, cheap cheap!  You're complaining about spending $20 for a back up SD card on a $1400 camera?? 

Your tone is offensive, but I will reply none the less.

- Yes of course you can counteract shaky images. That is not my point. My point is that you are less prone to shaky images with fewer MP. 

- Of course there is. More mega pixels means more for the processor to handle. More surface to scan for a subject, face, eye etc.

- Where can you get an UHS-II card for 20 dollars? Not where I live, an judging by the x-pro2 reviews, you need that to take full advantage of the camera.

AND, my list is not a deal breaker list. Simply a listing of pros and cons of more megapixels.

Edited by petergabriel

More than just a few compact lenses, the format is severely lacking on sub 100mm primes, aside the 35mm F1.8 there is really not much else.

But I do agree that Sigma did upped the game with those 2 F1.8 zoom lenses, the 18-35 is already well known for its quality and performance, the 50-100 seems to be going in the same direction too, but I am waiting to be able to hold it before I will make any judgment about it.

I am still waiting for the XT-2 to decide if the D500 could be a nice addition to my collection or if the XT-2 would be better, lens wise I am planning for both F1.8 Sigman zooms, the Nikkor DX 16-80 F2.8-4 and most likely the Nikkor FX 300mm F4 for the long end.

The Sigma 50-100 does not have OIS and it weighs over a pound more than the Fuji 50-140. The OIS on the Fuji is exceptional. I can shoot it at 1/30th or 1/15th of a second handheld (even 1/8th if careful), and it has a longer telephoto reach. The Fuji zoom is more versatile.

And compared to primes, there is the Fuji 90/2 which weighs a full 2 lbs. less than the Sigma. Hell, I can carry the Fuji 23/1.4, 35/2, 56/1.2 and 90/2 and all 4 together still weigh less than the Sigma 50-100. 

The Sigma 50-100 does not have OIS and it weighs over a pound more than the Fuji 50-140. The OIS on the Fuji is exceptional. I can shoot it at 1/30th or 1/15th of a second handheld (even 1/8th if careful), and it has a longer telephoto reach. The Fuji zoom is more versatile.

And compared to primes, there is the Fuji 90/2 which weighs a full 2 lbs. less than the Sigma. Hell, I can carry the Fuji 23/1.4, 35/2, 56/1.2 and 90/2 and all 4 together still weigh less than the Sigma 50-100.

You raised that point a couple I'm of times already and I am going to offer a counter argument which is the physical space of all your primes take compared to the zooms, I would have your coverage with 2 lenses and a body, I could walk around with just a small lens bag and be good about my need.

Plus I won't be changing lenses that often if any if I know in advance were I will be going.

Also, currently the D500 is a much better performer than the X-T1, the X-Pro2 could be closing the gap but it is still not quite up there for the AF-C mode.

If things move fast, Fuji is still currently behind.

But I am not comparing the two camera and their systems against each other, I want both to be complementary of each other.

But I am not comparing the two camera and their systems against each other, I want both to be complementary of each other.

But you won't resist to do so if you finaly get D500 and it makes someone nervous... ;)

But you won't resist to do so if you finaly get D500 and it makes someone nervous... ;)

Nah, both are for different usage, I do not believe in a single system that will fulfill all my needs. At least in photography.

Fuji will still remain as my leisure camera but I want to replace either the D3S or the D800 with that D500.

A few pros and cons

Only if you view at a higher magnification. At the same there will be no difference. But of course: to get to the best possible image quality not only technology needs an update, so do the users

The noise performance is light hitting the sensor and sensor technology and not by the pixel size. If you view the image at the same size, the new sensors has less noise (and it doesn't matter if it has 12 or 24 or 42MP as the A7S vs A7RII shows) 

• More pixels require more processor power. The AF will suffer. Think of the AF speed we theoretically would get with 16MP and the new processor

The performance of the processor (EXR II to X Processor Pro) was improved drastically. And so was the readout of the sensor. The new 24MP sensor and processor are much faster than the old combination. And that is only the beginning. 

No. The new processor is more powerful and it does lossless compressed RAWs. Those raws are smaller than the once from older 16MP cameras (about 25MB vs 33MB)

There isn't really anything that goes against a jump to 24MP. The pros are, that you can get higher resolution images if you want. 

your cons list is dumb.  

Calling somebody's post dumb is not very nice. Some may call it rude...

Regarding shaky images due to higher pixel count: I can confirm that effect when I went from a Pentax K-5iis (16 MP)  to a K-3 (24MP). In my opinion the quality definitely suffered. More noise and often less sharp. Hopefully Fuji gets this right but I think it's a valid concern.