Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t2-turbo-boost-evf-will-have-an-amazing-100-fps-refresh-rate/

The human eye recognizes the difference in motion about 120 fps. We are actually at 85fps [X-Pro2], so very very close. […] And the processing power is actually already there in this camera to eventually even reach 120fps!

Sigh, more techno babble marketing. This couldn't be more wrong.

Yes the cells in your eyes can only send a signal repeatedly at a given rate, but they don't fire in unison, new information is sent dynamically in response to stimulus, your brain effectively interprets data in an analog signal.

Anyway, the market is full of 144hz computer monitors right now and we're only going higher, anyone who uses one for gaming daily can immediately tell you when the framerate drops.

Nvidia is doing experiemnts with 1,700hz monitors right now, something like that I can see being about as good as you could possibly want, but the whole subject ultimately comes down to diminishing returns, the amount of power you would need to run a 1,000hz display isn't worth it right now.

120hz is a good balance of cost to benefit, but absolutely nothing close to any sort of natural human limitation.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IsZhdiWMFq0J:https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1vy3qe/how_many_frames_per_second_can_the_eye_see/%2Bhuman+eye+cell+refresh+rate&client=safari&hl=en-gb&ct=clnk

A quick google search turns up reports of people identifying objects at an equivalent of 220hz. The conclusion of the top comment that human vision can be trained to perform better in certian metrics also agrees with what I've read on the subject.

Again, this shouldn't be taken as any sort of absolute limitation in the visual system, but just the best result people have achieved in a specific task, you will be able to see the difference in framerates up to thousands of hertz.

Edited by 9.V.III

Asking DSLR converts (who often claim that their DSLR AF performs much better than new current Fuji X AF) about how many days or weeks of actual EVF training they have put behind themselves in order to tune their brain, their reflexes and their intuition to respond to an electronic live view display (instead of the familiar OVF), the response is usually sobering.

In other words: practice, practice, practice. 

Edited by flysurfer

Asking DSLR converts (who often claim that their DSLR AF performs much better than new current Fuji X AF) about how many days or weeks of actual EVF training they have put behind themselves in order to tune their brain, their reflexes and their intuition to respond to an electronic live view display (instead of the familiar OVF), the response is usually sobering.

In other words: practice, practice, practice. 

Well, now... As a person who shoots both mirrorless and DSLR cameras (the former for street and travel and the latter for landscape and wildlife and other things), I have been using Fujifilm mirrorless for about 3 1/2 years... and my first mirrorless digital camera was nearly 20 years ago.

The mirrorless systems have improved a great deal in terms of EVF speed and AF speed, but the best DSLR systems are still more effective for certain kinds of photography, especially where camera motion and subject motion are an issue. I love my mirrorless cameras for many things, and in many cases I choose mirrorless over my DSLR system — but the opposite is also true: my DSLR system is much better for photographing, for example, birds in flight, etc.

So, even those who have engaged in the "practice, practice, practice" process will still often find that there are advantages to both/either technology.

Dan

Well, now... As a person who shoots both mirrorless and DSLR cameras (the former for street and travel and the latter for landscape and wildlife and other things), I have been using Fujifilm mirrorless for about 3 1/2 years... and my first mirrorless digital camera was nearly 20 years ago.

The mirrorless systems have improved a great deal in terms of EVF speed and AF speed, but the best DSLR systems are still more effective for certain kinds of photography, especially where camera motion and subject motion are an issue. I love my mirrorless cameras for many things, and in many cases I choose mirrorless over my DSLR system — but the opposite is also true: my DSLR system is much better for photographing, for example, birds in flight, etc.

So, even those who have engaged in the "practice, practice, practice" process will still often find that there are advantages to both/either technology.

Dan

advantages yes... definitive ones... debatable. I have seen plenty of excellent bird in flight photos from Fuji cameras. 

Buying an entire full frame DSLR kit to gain what is a relatively small advantage... well, that is for the wealthy and a small percentage of working pros where those advantages make a tangible difference in their specific field. 

Dan

The inherent lag in the system is a bit of a problem, but then again, people could (someday) turn the nature of that system into an advantage.

We already have cameras with image recording functionality to pull pictures out of a video stream, maybe someday you'll be able to push the shutter button and get high quality pictures of what was in the viewfinder half a second ago.

Not that we're anywhere near this kind of functionality now (outside of 4K video), but as the concept is refined I'm betting people will someday prefer the EVF for just about everything.

Edited by 9.V.III

The inherent lag in the system is a bit of a problem, but then again, people could (someday) turn the nature of that system into an advantage.

We already have cameras with image recording functionality to pull pictures out of a video stream, maybe someday you'll be able to push the shutter button and get high quality pictures of what was in the viewfinder half a second ago.

Not that we're anywhere near this kind of functionality now (outside of 4K video), but as the concept is refined I'm betting people will someday prefer the EVF for just about everything.

Already available with MFT, will become mainstream by 2018 (global shutter).

I tend to buy cameras that exist, for the photography that I do. While I'm interested in where cameras are heading, I don't buy a camera today because its successor might someday do something it cannot do today.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this email from an Australian seller. I looked at the email carefully and immediately noticed something extremely unusual: a graphite silver X-T2!

GraphiteX-T2_zps1rca3elz.png

The seller even offers the option of a graphite or black versions of the X-T2:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod14094.htm?utm_source=DCWEDM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=edm8Jul2016

In case they are forced to take it down, here is a screen capture of the website:

Graphite_X-T2Screen_zpstwljagub.png

Edited by Sator-Photography

I emailed them last night, no graphite versions it seems.

But a silver version.