Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

I'm not 100% convinced of that with small point and shoot fixed lens cameras and the Panasonic GH4, GX8 all shooting 4K and having a smaller body than the XT2.  They are a bit smaller due to smaller sensor, but compared to their conterparts that don't shoot 4K they are roughly the same size.

It's fair to assume that the XT2 would not be identical to the size of the XT1, but if any larger .... I'm expecting it to be pretty negligible.

The body size/sensor ratio is much bigger on the smaller sensor cameras than compared to the Fuji's APS-C sensor bodies, the GH4 is almost the size of a Nikon D5500, the GX8 is about the size of the X-Pro1. Both have smaller sensor while having the same body size as Fuji cameras if not larger, that allows more space to dissipate the heat from the video.

Just have a look at the size increase we got from the X-Pro1 to the X-Pro2 bodies, it has been told several times that the X-Pro2 is actually 4k video capable, but due to the body size, it's not well designed against sensor heating issues. And the X-Pro2 is already the size of the X-T1, while the older X-Pro1 was a slightly larger X-E2, give or take a bit here and there.

By just guesstimating the size increase from X-Pro1 to X-Pro2, we can safely assume the X-T2 would be at least 10-15% large than the X-T1, that is nowhere near being negligible in my book. If my income would be increased by the same margin, there a whole new world of possibility suddenly open to me.

Apple has released macbook air 7 years ago. By the time it was almost unimaginable to manufacture such a thin design while maintaining the heat dissipation from the cpu. Consumers may like it or hate it but from industrial designer's perspective it was a genius design. I think it is not irrational for a Fuji lover to expect a such high design standard from Fuji. In the end, it would not only benefit the consumer but it would also benefit Fuji in the era of fierce competition.

10 Reasons Why the Fujifilm X-T2 is (probably) better than the X-Pro2 (Based on Rumors & Fuji Manager Statements)

Read them on FujiRumors: http://www.fujirumors.com/10-reasons-why-the-fujifilm-x-t2-is-probably-better-than-the-x-pro2-based-on-rumors-fuji-manager-statements

Why do people keep thinking the X-T2 is going to have 3 batteries?

Seems pretty obvious in the video from that link that the new battery grip is the same style as say Canon DSLR battery grips which is just two in the grip.

Apple has released macbook air 7 years ago. By the time it was almost unimaginable to manufacture such a thin design while maintaining the heat dissipation from the cpu. Consumers may like it or hate it but from industrial designer's perspective it was a genius design. I think it is not irrational for a Fuji lover to expect a such high design standard from Fuji. In the end, it would not only benefit the consumer but it would also benefit Fuji in the era of fierce competition.

The MacBook Air was also severely under power compared to others of the same screen size, Apple clearly decided to go with something as thin as possible but clearly sacrifices had to be made at some places, ie. the CPU was down clocked, RAM was soldered and usage of 1.8" SSD drives.

They didn't really made something new, they just put together pieces that were already existing everywhere but was of no usage of the general market.

As for the cameras, it might be worth reminding that the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-T2 are both weather sealed, that means, as much things outside of it, which also means that things can not easily go out either. 

That's also one of the reason super strong bodies like the Nikon D3/4/5 all have eternal WiFi connectivity as the signals would get jammed by the body alloy already if the antenna was internal.

There is also the price of the material, Appel is able to make things that cost outrageous amount of money and relatively safely get away with it. Fuji will not be able to pull a feat like that. Try to imagine this "Hey guys, we got the X-T2 with exactly the same form factor as the predecessor and still be able to film at 4k with no heating issues, but the camera body would cost above 2k$ now." Would you still be interest in buying such a camera while you have quite decent FF camera for that price ?

Nikon did that with their D500 but there is a clear performance increase between their low-mid end of the FF bodies and their new APS-C camera. The X-Pro2 is already pushing for it at that 1.7k$ body only and while it got some traction going from ppl that have the previous model but did not jumped at the X-T1, I am really not certain that most of the current X-T1 users are finding their current camera to be below competition in IQ that would justify the new X-T2 just for the 4k video, 8 MP and an AF stick.

There is also the price of the material, Appel is able to make things that cost outrageous amount of money and relatively safely get away with it. Fuji will not be able to pull a feat like that. Try to imagine this "Hey guys, we got the X-T2 with exactly the same form factor as the predecessor and still be able to film at 4k with no heating issues, but the camera body would cost above 2k$ now." Would you still be interest in buying such a camera while you have quite decent FF camera for that price ?

Nikon did that with their D500 but there is a clear performance increase between their low-mid end of the FF bodies and their new APS-C camera. The X-Pro2 is already pushing for it at that 1.7k$ body only and while it got some traction going from ppl that have the previous model but did not jumped at the X-T1, I am really not certain that most of the current X-T1 users are finding their current camera to be below competition in IQ that would justify the new X-T2 just for the 4k video, 8 MP and an AF stick.

One can also look at it another way... The reason I invested in Fuji is not that it is cheaper than FF, but that it is smaller while still providing exceptional image quality and having a more 'analog' shooting experience. My X-T1 with say the 23/1.4 is a joy to hold and use. I like having the aperture ring and real dials. I like the size and weight. I can carry an X-T1 plus the 16, 23 and 56 around all day and hardly notice the weight or bulk. 

If the high end of the Fuji line of cameras all keep getting bigger and heavier, that will be more of a deterrent for me than a price increase. 

btw, the X-T2 will have more than 4k, 8MP and the joystick.

It will also have faster AF and in general faster everything. The blackout time on the X-Pro2 is significantly shorter than the X-T1 (much closer to an SLR). Turning on is faster, waking from sleep is faster, etc. I'm expecting the X-T2 to equal or surpass the X-Pro2 in this regard. If it takes more cost to keep the camera small while increasing its overall speed and agility, so be it. 

The reason why I upgraded to the X-Pro2 from the X-Pro1 was because of greater speed. The X-Pro1 is kinda slow and clunky by comparison. I don't shoot video so I didn't need a 4K model.

That said, if the X-T2 is faster in ways that cannot be matched by the X-Pro2 with upgrades to the firmware, then I will definitely take a look at it. I certainly hope that it can match the 11fps of the Leica SL model, thus bringing it closer to becoming a DSLR replacement. As highlighted by this review on Lens Rental, mirrorless still lags behind DSLRs in autofocus speed and accuracy. I hope that the X-T2 further closes that gap. 

I also wonder if Fuji can improve on the implementation of the sensor performance. DPR seem to think (for all that is worth) that the sensor performance of the a6300 is better than the X-Pro2. Not that this makes any difference to me, but it makes a difference to perceptions for some. 

[...] DPR seem to think (for all that is worth) that the sensor performance of the a6300 is better than the X-Pro2. Not that this makes any difference to me, but it makes a difference to perceptions for some. 

DPR is partially right, on some specific shots, the Sony a6300 does outshine the X-Pro2 a tad bit, but at that level, it's more personal taste than anything else, the differences are counted in pixels and unless you spend a lot of time looking at your pictures at 400%, it's not that much noticeable.

Beside, what good is a better sensor if there are no lens to put in front of it ? That's one of the great strength of Fuji, they make their own glasses, they have a lot of good knowledge about it in-house already and don't have to look away to find talent.

[...]

btw, the X-T2 will have more than 4k, 8MP and the joystick.

It will also have faster AF and in general faster everything. The blackout time on the X-Pro2 is significantly shorter than the X-T1 (much closer to an SLR). Turning on is faster, waking from sleep is faster, etc. I'm expecting the X-T2 to equal or surpass the X-Pro2 in this regard. If it takes more cost to keep the camera small while increasing its overall speed and agility, so be it. 

My apologies, you are indeed correct. As for the blackout, I guess I need to rent the X-Pro2 over a nice week-end with enough actions to put it to a good test, I think there is a Flyball competition a bit outside of where I live, that could be a good try out for the X-Pro2.

But yes, the X-T1 was really a nightmare to use when I went birding specifically for in flights moment, then again, I took a jewelry hammer while trying to nail down a railroad track, figuratively speaking.

Anyway, I will be expecting a lot from the X-T2, let's see what the end of Q2, early Q3 will bring us.

I also wonder if Fuji can improve on the implementation of the sensor performance. DPR seem to think (for all that is worth) that the sensor performance of the a6300 is better than the X-Pro2.

DPR is partially right, on some specific shots, the Sony a6300 does outshine the X-Pro2 a tad bit

I read all those DPR articles on the X-Pro2 and A6300 and I couldn't find what you two are talking about. Could you point me there?

Oh, here is DPR studio scene: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=sony_a6000&attr13_1=sony_a6300&attr13_2=fujifilm_xpro2&attr13_3=nikon_d500&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&attr171_0=off&attr171_1=off&attr171_2=off&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0.019993164730006865&y=0.015014783459542371

My apologies, you are indeed correct. As for the blackout, I guess I need to rent the X-Pro2 over a nice week-end with enough actions to put it to a good test, I think there is a Flyball competition a bit outside of where I live, that could be a good try out for the X-Pro2.

But yes, the X-T1 was really a nightmare to use when I went birding specifically for in flights moment, then again, I took a jewelry hammer while trying to nail down a railroad track, figuratively speaking.

Anyway, I will be expecting a lot from the X-T2, let's see what the end of Q2, early Q3 will bring us.

Besides the shorter blackout, faster turn on/off/waking, the X-Pro 2 also has a faster refresh rate for the EVF. Even though it is smaller than the X-T1, the faster refresh rate is noticeable with less lag when panning or zooming around. It makes a difference in keeping the camera unobtrusive as I focus on the subject and shooting.

I find the X-Pro2 significantly better as far as overall speed and agile performance (I miss the tilt screen and big EVF). The X-Pro2 is what I have wished the X-T1 was in that regard. Based on the X-Pro2, I'll be buying the X-T2 the day it is available. 

According to this comparison, the difference in size and weight between the X-Pro1 and 2 is really minimal. Hopefully the same will indeed hold true with the XT-2.

The difference should be smaller as the x-t1 already has WR, where as the x.pro1 did not. My guess is the knobs will be 2 dotted rows taller and the grib will be a little more pronounced.

If the X-T2 is bigger than the X-Pro2 I might consider getting the X-Pro2 instead.

The size, discreteness and portability is one of the main reasons where I switched from Canon to Fuji in the first place.

Kinda tempting to go with X-PRO 2 anyway, because I enjoy the OVF on my X-Pro1 and I like the rangefinder look of the camera more than the X-T1 dslr look.

Then again, I don't have a X-T1 and not sure how awesome that EVF is to use (only tried it briefly.

Edited by Hermelin

Thanks Patrick, but not much new to see, or am I missing something? It does look like it has kept the size of x-t1 and that is a good thing in my book. I hope a video leak means release is imminent as I have sold my x100t and now don't have a camera for this summer :-/

Edited by petergabriel

I love that based on a couple of pictures a bunch of you decided it was going to be 10-15% bigger, because obviously as photographers the idea that whatever lens that took the picture might have distorted perspective never should have occurred to you :) I mean people just put coins or batteries into pictures to show scale for no reason :)

I have a 10-day travel/stock shooting trip scheduled July 2 to July 13th.  Does anyone know if the X-T2 will be available by then?  I'd love to have it with me, but I don't relish taking a new, untested camera with me on an important trip.  Though, I'll have my existing X-T1 as a backup if things go bad.

Anyone?  Patrick?

I have a 10-day travel/stock shooting trip scheduled July 2 to July 13th.  Does anyone know if the X-T2 will be available by then?  I'd love to have it with me, but I don't relish taking a new, untested camera with me on an important trip.  Though, I'll have my existing X-T1 as a backup if things go bad.

Anyone?  Patrick?

No... it won't be available right in time for you :(