Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

I don't see any advantage in that Pentax tilt screen over the solution on the X-T1. I really like my tilt screen and it is one of the two major reasons not to by an X-Pro 2 (the other is the small EVF on the X-Pro 2). But I need it only for macro and sometimes on a tripod and in these cases I'm fine with the X-T1.

Edited by zedd137

Well, the sideways-thingie, for when you want to take a picture in portrait orientation close to the ground.

But I'd never want one of those video-type screens that flip out to the side (Canon 70D, Panasonic GH4...), so the pentax solution is, for me, pretty elegant. And it can be used exactly like the screen of the X-T1 (up-down).

Well, the sideways-thingie, for when you want to take a picture in portrait orientation close to the ground.

But I'd never want one of those video-type screens that flip out to the side (Canon 70D, Panasonic GH4...), so the pentax solution is, for me, pretty elegant. And it can be used exactly like the screen of the X-T1 (up-down).

The "video-type" screen, is, in fact, the best possible solution overall, since it allows viewing at any angle AND can be rotated 180 degrees to protect the screen (and offer a clean look and more "pure photographic" experience, if desired).

I tend to think the existing X-T1 tilt screen is stronger than an articulating screen. Not sure if that is accurate or meaningful. I feel happy with the X-T1 screen and it seems strong and harder to break. So keeping it the same for the X-T2 works fine for me.

Having moved to the Fuji X system from an APS-C SLR mainly to save weight, I was initially disappointed that I was saving rather little on the lenses, though the body was lighter.  Now, we have seen some creep in size and weight with the X-Pro 2, so I am worried that we will see the same with the X-T2.  The truth is that after the recent firmware update, I bought an X-E2 which Rico says is pretty much an X-T10, both being much lighter than my X-T1.  I almost prefer the X-E2. 

Bottom line, while I would like to see the  X-T1 updated, please be conscious of keeping size and weight down.  Save my aching back! :unsure:

Having moved to the Fuji X system from an APS-C SLR mainly to save weight, I was initially disappointed that I was saving rather little on the lenses, though the body was lighter.  Now, we have seen some creep in size and weight with the X-Pro 2, so I am worried that we will see the same with the X-T2.  The truth is that after the recent firmware update, I bought an X-E2 which Rico says is pretty much an X-T10, both being much lighter than my X-T1.  I almost prefer the X-E2. 

Bottom line, while I would like to see the  X-T1 updated, please be conscious of keeping size and weight down.  Save my aching back! :unsure:

Mirrorless, contrary to popular belief, is not about reduced size/weight only. If rumors are valid, the X-T2 will have to go up against cameras such as the D500 (or, at least, the 7Dmk2); namely "sports/action oriented" DSLRs. Even being larger than the X-T1 (dual card slot, need for better cooling, larger grip), it will, nevertheless, be significantly smaller/lighter overall than these systems.

Perhaps a X-E2/X-T1 format camera is better for your needs, although I'm guessing the X-T2, with the appropriate lens selection wouldn't be far off either.

I want the X-T2 to stay light as well... however, there is some room there. The current X-T1 is almost half the weight of a Nikon D500 or D7200.

And the closest Nikon equals to the Fuji lenses are almost all heavier... sometimes significantly. Nikon also does not have much in the way of DX primes. Nothing like the Fuji 16 1.4. The Fuji 35 1.4 weighs less than the Nikon 35 1.8. Fuji also offers some compact lenses like the 18 and 27 with no Nikon equal. Canon also has almost no APS-C primes so a lot of their Fuji equivalents in FF are much heavier. 

[...] Nikon also does not have much in the way of DX primes. Nothing like the Fuji 16 1.4. The Fuji 35 1.4 weighs less than the Nikon 35 1.8. Fuji also offers some compact lenses like the 18 and 27 with no Nikon equal. Canon also has almost no APS-C primes so a lot of their Fuji equivalents in FF are much heavier. 

Agreed here, except if you look outside of Canikon lenses, into Sigma for example, you have a DX format zoom th 18-35 F1.8, sure it's heavy as a truck and just as big, but F1.8 zoom ?! And they are going to release the 50-100 F1.8 version in late Q2 of this year.

With these zooms, you have "primes" quality bokeh wise and add the zoom practicality too boot.

I love my Fuji gear, but that's the kind of lens on a D500 that makes my head turn around a good deal...

Agreed here, except if you look outside of Canikon lenses, into Sigma for example, you have a DX format zoom th 18-35 F1.8, sure it's heavy as a truck and just as big, but F1.8 zoom ?! And they are going to release the 50-100 F1.8 version in late Q2 of this year.

With these zooms, you have "primes" quality bokeh wise and add the zoom practicality too boot.

I love my Fuji gear, but that's the kind of lens on a D500 that makes my head turn around a good deal...

Don't get me wrong; I love what Sigma is doing for the last few years. But I don't feel the 1.8 zooms are actually "prime replacements" and this is how all of the people I know, who have the 18-35 on Canonikons think too.

They will never be as sharp or have an equally great rendering as 1.4 or 1.8 primes in the same range and there are some optical faults at certain focal lengths. That said, I believe these are great lenses for video. In fact, many people adapt them, through Speedboosters, in other systems, such as m43.

A D500 + the Sigma 18-35 zoom is 1676 gms in weight. An X-T1 plus the 16 1.4 and 35 1.4 totals 1002 gms. Far less weight. In fact, 2 X-T1 bodies plus the 16 and 35 1.4 lenses (one on each body) still weighs less than the D500 plus the Sigma.

The Sigma 50-100 1.8 is basically a stop faster than the 50-140 2.8 Fuji, but it is a smaller zoom range and does not have OIS (which is amazing on the 50-140) The Sigma also weighs over a pound more than the Fuji zoom.

Comparing the Sigma to primes... the Sigma weighs 1490 gms and the Fuji 90/2 and 56/1.2 together weigh 945 gms. - More than a pound less.  In fact, the Fuji primes, 16/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 and 90/2 together weigh only 17 gms more than the Sigma 50-100 by itself. 

A D500 plus the 2 Sigma zooms is 3161 gms (6.95 lbs)

An X-T1 plus the 4 Fuji primes 16, 35, 56, 90 is 1947 gms (4.3 lbs)

2.65 Lbs less (even less still if swapping out the 18/2 and 35/2 which would be more comparable to the Sigmas)

Hell, you could toss in the 10-24 and 60 Macro and still be about 1.5 Lbs lighter... 

Edited by deva

A D500 + the Sigma 18-35 zoom is 1676 gms in weight. An X-T1 plus the 16 1.4 and 35 1.4 totals 1002 gms. Far less weight. In fact, 2 X-T1 bodies plus the 16 and 35 1.4 lenses (one on each body) still weighs less than the D500 plus the Sigma.

The Sigma 50-100 1.8 is basically a stop faster than the 50-140 2.8 Fuji, but it is a smaller zoom range and does not have OIS (which is amazing on the 50-140) The Sigma also weighs over a pound more than the Fuji zoom.

Comparing the Sigma to primes... the Sigma weighs 1490 gms and the Fuji 90/2 and 56/1.2 together weigh 945 gms. - More than a pound less.  In fact, the Fuji primes, 16/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2 and 90/2 together weigh only 17 gms more than the Sigma 50-100 by itself. 

A D500 plus the 2 Sigma zooms is 3161 gms (6.95 lbs)

An X-T1 plus the 4 Fuji primes 16, 35, 56, 90 is 1947 gms (4.3 lbs)

2.65 Lbs less (even less still if swapping out the 18/2 and 35/2 which would be more comparable to the Sigmas)

Hell, you could toss in the 10-24 and 60 Macro and still be about 1.5 Lbs lighter... 

Oh I am more than fully aware of the weight, but for comparison sake, there is nothing else on the market currently like that.

Yes it's bloody heavy and goes only on Canikon, but can not tell me that you having one stop of extra light on a zoom, on ranges that are actually useful to have, does not at least intrigue you.

Heck yes it's going to be the weight of a truck, but for the usage I would have of it. Sure, I would take it. Is it going to replace my Fuji gear ? Quite not so, but it is certainly going to complement it at places where the Fuji is failing me for the uses I have of it.

Plus one very appreciable advantage of the D500, with a WR lens, like the Nikkor DX 16-80 F2.8-4, I really won't be afraid of any weather conditions, which is a big plus for me. Fuji WR on the X-T1 is nice, but it's not at the level I am used to with D800 and D3S level for professional work.

This week-end will be the first time I am going to take a paid work with Fuji and not have any of my Nikon FF as backups. 

Oh I am more than fully aware of the weight, but for comparison sake, there is nothing else on the market currently like that.

Yes it's bloody heavy and goes only on Canikon, but can not tell me that you having one stop of extra light on a zoom, on ranges that are actually useful to have, does not at least intrigue you.

Actually, it does not intrigue me at all... For a zoom, I would rather have the Fuji 50-140 2.8 with OIS than the Sigma 50-100 1.8 - I can shoot the 50-140 @ 1/30 and even 1/15 which makes it much better handheld in low light than the Sigma. The 50-140 OIS is remarkable, and it has more reach. The Sigma is a pretty narrow zoom range. With the Fuji 56 and 90 primes on 2 bodies I've basically equaled the zoom range and each feels so much lighter and more agile and comfortable to hold. 

The D500 + the Sigma 50-100 is over 5 Lbs.

The Fuji X-T1 + the 90 is under 2 Lbs.

That is a huge difference in handling. I could comfortably shoot the X-T1 + 90 one handed or on the run all day. 

And of course I'm simply expressing my interests and preferences and you are free to have your own :-)

[...]

And of course I'm simply expressing my interests and preferences and you are free to have your own :-)

Agreed :]

But I really do get your point of view, but that heavy combo is quite interesting for low light moving subject, something that is currently very difficult on a Fuji system.

In good light, Fuji all the way. The IQ is at the very least just as good, if not better, the whole gear is lighter and smaller, plus I grew quite fond of the Fuji film simulation. 

Anyway, I will wait for the Fuji X-T2 before I make any final judgement, but unless Fuji can provide me with a workhorse that can take quite the abuse, I will have to add the D500 to my set of tools.

Agreed :]

But I really do get your point of view, but that heavy combo is quite interesting for low light moving subject, something that is currently very difficult on a Fuji system.

In good light, Fuji all the way. The IQ is at the very least just as good, if not better, the whole gear is lighter and smaller, plus I grew quite fond of the Fuji film simulation. 

Anyway, I will wait for the Fuji X-T2 before I make any final judgement, but unless Fuji can provide me with a workhorse that can take quite the abuse, I will have to add the D500 to my set of tools.

What sort of work do you do that has you shooting in the rain?

I've only had the X-T1 out in the rain once. It got quite wet and was fine, but I have no idea how close it might have been to shutting down. The X-Pro2 feels better sealed to me than the X-T1.

Since you have the D800, I don't understand why you need to add the D500?

What sort of work do you do that has you shooting in the rain?

[...]

Since you have the D800, I don't understand why you need to add the D500?

The rain I have to face is actually monsoon when I travel to Asia where the country is hot, very humid and when it rain, it's a freaking downpour. 

When it rains that much I don't shoot, but I need to be certain that the while I try to put the camera away safely, the rain will not cause any kind of damages.

Part of the reasons I would change the lenses as less often as possible, having F1.8 zoom on DX format is quite interesting for me.

The D800 and D3S are heavy pieces of bricks, I can hardly hold the D800 correctly, and it's even worse for the D3S. I really hate the D3S camera because the ergonomics are very bad for my hands.

The D500 fits a lot more already, I was lucky enough to test it for a good chunk of time and from what I got from it, it has the form factor of D750 while retaining the weather sealing from D810, ie. it's tough, not as much as the D5 but still very tough and I can clearly abuse the camera in extreme weather. And the IQ I got from it is acceptable enough, the super ISO feature is also a much welcomed addition.

The X-T1 6400 ISO file is really noisy, ideally, I would never shoot above ISO 3200 on Fuji, but the D500 would allow me to use up to a 25k ISO while retaining acceptable noise/detail balance even before the post processing.

Please add XF 23/1.4 to this equation.

Please add XF 23/1.4 to this equation.

Sure... An X-T1 + the 16 1.4 (wider than the Sigma), 23 1.4 and 35 1.4 weighs 2/3rds of a pound less than the D500 + Sigma 18-35 1.8 

Which means you can have an X-T1 plus the 16, 23, 35 and add the 56 1.2 (4 great lenses and a far wider focal range) for slightly under the weight of the D500 and the single Sigma 18-35 zoom. 

Actually, Photokina 2016. But actual release to the dealers will probably be near the Christmas season.

That's their usual roadmap schedule and would be good if they can keep it that way.

However, now with the quake and all, things may just get pushed a little down the timeline.

In any case, the X-T2 will be a killer camera! Expect a slight drop in price for the X-pro2 after that. :o