Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

My understanding was that Acros is processor intensive and if they put it in existing cameras it would be too slow. In the interview I read, the Fuji rep said that is why it will not be coming to any of the other current cameras. So I assume that the X-T2 with the new processor will also have Acros. I sure hope so!

I think you are right.

if they announce in july, units start shipping in sept is my guess. 

With the X-Pro2, they kept it under wraps (VERY succesfully, I'll add) until the last second.

For the X-T2, I'd speculate:

1) Announcement, probably with some product photos and specs, in late June

2) Get it in the hands of X-Photographers covering the Olympics; since this is supposed to be a sports as well as video oriented camera

3) Presentation of final product and availability announcement in Photokina

4) In stores 3-4 weeks later

This will help to build up expectations in the public and give them enough time to iron-out possible bugs.

1080p is yesterday's technology. Would they really build an updated model without 4K? ...even the phones have 4K now.

I don't even know what 4K does, and I love my Fuji cameras. If I would want to shoot video, I would buy a video camera.

I guess I am not alone in not desiring video, or other (to me) gimmicks, in my camera. As long as Fuji builds great photo cameras, I am happy with them.

But I probably would not buy a X-T camera anyway; I would miss the OVF.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by johant

I don't even know what 4K does, and I love my Fuji cameras. If I would want to shoot video, I would buy a video camera.

I guess I am not alone in not desiring video, or other (to me) gimmicks, in my camera. As long as Fuji builds great photo cameras, I am happy with them.

But I probably would not buy a X-T camera anyway; I would miss the OVF.

they are more people that want high quality 4k video in their X-T2 than those who do not.  Video capability does not affect photo performance in any way.   Your reason for not wanting video is completely ignorant. 

Edited by d750guy

they are more people that want high quality 4k video in their X-T2 than those who do not. Video capability does not affect photo performance in any way. Your reason for not wanting video is completely ignorant.

Well, I am not those people, and I am a Fuji customer ... as long as Fuji creates great photo cameras, I'm happy. If you feel that's ignorant, so be it. I think there are enough brands that create cameras for the video enthusiasts, so it's not like they have no choice.

Edited by johant

they are more people that want high quality 4k video in their X-T2 than those who do not.  Video capability does not affect photo performance in any way.

I'm not sure that is true. For example, will adding 4K video mean having to make the camera body bigger to deal with the excess heat? If so, I'm not necessarily happy about that even though I want to shoot video sometimes. 

they are more people that want high quality 4k video in their X-T2 than those who do not.  Video capability does not affect photo performance in any way.   Your reason for not wanting video is completely ignorant.

I think you are wrong. None of my friends using fuji cameras is interested in video. The question was how we could use the video button for something more important.

It would be fine when the X-T2 has 4K videos if 1) it does not make the camera more expensive, 2) it does not make the camera bulkier, and 3) it does not lead to reduced ergonomics for photo taking. Otherwise; leave the whatever video out, and focus on creating a high quality photo camera.

I'm not sure that is true. For example, will adding 4K video mean having to make the camera body bigger to deal with the excess heat? If so, I'm not necessarily happy about that even though I want to shoot video sometimes. 

do you have a source that says 4k video will make the camera bigger?  There are plenty of small mirrorless 4k cameras that don't overheat (see panasonic and samsung) 

I think there are a few misconceptions regarding heat produced when "computer processors" do certain tasks

Just because a "NEW" product does something an old product did not do, does not mean it will produce more heat.

All modern cameras have a Processor inside, however newer camera equipment with newer processors, are almost certainly made on a smaller die, or a refined process.

Both of which reduce power usage (heat output) when completing the same task as an older generation.

Will recording at 4K use more power (and produce more heat) than recording at 1080p on the same device - almost certainly
Will recording at 4K use more power (and produce more heat) than recording at 1080p on a older device - due to processor advancements not necessarily.

The same goes if I encode a 4K video on my 3 year old workstation it uses more power, and produces more heat than if I encode at 1080p; However, if I upgraded my workstation with a brand new processor, due to advancements I would not be able to confirm if encoding at 4K on a new workstation uses more power or less power than encoding at 1080p on an old workstation, however I would not be surprised if it used less! 

I have not seen any documentation regarding power usage for the new X-Pro processor compared to the EXR II Processor, either maximum or typical

tldr

better video quality does not necessarily mean more power usage/heat output