Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

Fuji has been hinting strongly and publicly at the X-T2 showing up with the new sensor - comments like "the sensor and processor can handle 4k video, but that wasn't right for the X-Pro 2 - that's another camera".  The new X-Processor Pro in the X-Pro 2 hints at something else, too (and Fuji's pretty much said as much) - you don't need that kind of processor speed in an image quality focused RANGEFINDER??? I haven't been able to find the processor speed (either in megahertz and core type or in megapixels/second) for any camera other than Fuji's new X-Processor Pro (and the old one by reference in the description of the new one), but it seems to be in the range of at least a Nikon D4s/Canon 1Dx class processor, if not closer to the D5...The only reason for that speed that I can see is that it is shared with another project, one where it makes sense.. I can only see three possible cameras that could need a processor like that (an X-T2 that competes only against the D7200/ EOS7D mkII class doesn't need it).

:

1.) A "Top Pro" class DSLR (or in Fuji's case, the first attempt to put a mirrorless camera in that range)!

2.) A movie camera, or a true hybrid (GH4 or A7s type camera)!

3.) A medium format camera (this isn't the X-T2, but it may ALSO be sitting on Fuji's "interesting ideas" shelf, if not already in "interesting prototypes").

If I worked for Fuji, I'd be aiming at a combination of 1. and 2. above - the Nikon I'd be aiming at is the D500, not the D7200, and I'd add GH4 class or better video capabilities.

I'm guessing here, but here's my version of the X-T2...

X-Pro 2 sensor and processor

Leica SL viewfinder (or something similar)

Increased emphasis on video, since it no longer has to be the flagship still camera (I'd expect a LOT of video modes and options, some of them 4K, with GH4 level or better maximum data rates). At least 100 Mbps maximum data rate in 1080p and 4K, 200 Mbps certainly possible.

MAYBE an innovative codec in addition to H.264 (we've just begun to see native ProRes in a few cameras)

12 FPS with full autofocus (it could be either 10 or 14 (or more - the processor, astoundingly, would allow 20 FPS - see my comment on "what's this thing doing in a rangefinder" above), but I'd split the difference among likely frame rates and say 12.

Dual card slots, either SD/SD or maybe SD/XQD if they need XQD for some of the video data rates, or for an absurd frame rate

Modified X-T1 body (if the ISO dial in the X-Pro 2 works out, it may migrate to the X-T2, leaving the left side dial for drive modes and perhaps metering modes)...

Accessory grip with some additional video-focused connectors and the ability to take either multiple (3? one in the camera PLUS two in the grip ) NP-W 126s or a bigger battery

Weathersealing at least at, perhaps above the X-T1/X-Pro 2 level.

$1999

And the X-T20 (or more likely it'll be the X-T7 or some other in between number),using the 24 MP sensor, but perhaps a cut down, single core version of the processor.

Existing X-T1 viewfinder

Good (but not absurdly good) video - think 50 Mbps 4K and 1080p, H.264 only. This video will probably find its way to the X-Pro 2 with a little Kaizen firmware, which Fuji's even hinted at (the X-T2 video probably won't)

8 FPS

Single SD slot

Basically an X-T1 with the new sensor and a nice little video tweak.

$1199.

The X-T10 will stay a while, dropping to around $799 and giving an entry level  choice between rangefinder and DSLR styling.- it's a similar camera to the X-E2s in a different style.

I guessed at a split upgrade for a number of reasons having to do with Fuji engineer comments AND the power of the processor. Fuji engineers consistently mention a "multimedia camera", and the X-T1 really isn't one. It's a high performance still camera, but its video mode isn't even great for a midrange DSLR, let alone in the range of the mirrorless hybrids. That suggests the upgrade will have something distinctly new in that regard... The X-Processor Pro can handle a multimedia camera, and why build it for anything else (half of it would be perfectly sufficient for the X-Pro 2, or for a "vanilla" X-T2)? Fuji is small enough that they share a lot of parts between models, and that could explain the absurdly overpowered processor in the X-Pro 2.

If I had to guess on timing, I'd say Photokina, with pre-holiday availability? It's a bit tricky, because Fuji'd want to hit Photokina with the pro camera (not have it already out 3-4 months, and have the cut-down version be the Photokina introduction). On the other hand, the cheaper camera is going to be the holiday seller...

Maybe they'll slip the X-T2 out for the Olympics (Maybe with a great new telephoto prime - how about a 200mm f2.4 which becomes a 280mm f3.5 with the 1.4x AND a 400 mm f4.8 with a 2x converter)? A 200mm f2 does even more interesting things with converters, but that's a HUGE lens (5 lbs or more), and it's over $5000 (of course, so's everyone else's fast sports telephoto)... Given Fuji's sensor size, a 200 mm f2 is equivalent to a 300 mm f2 on full frame, then it can convert to a 400 mm f2.8 equivalent AND a 600 mm f4 equivalent. I haven't heard ANYTHING about a long, fast prime, but it's what a body like that would need to add to the present lens lineup...

I'd be interested in your X-T20 (X-T7) version.   :D

I'm going to be new to Fuji and don't care about video features (it's a must have as it's my only camera, but it will be used so infrequently that it just needs to be "good enough"...so no 4K like others seem to want).  At this point and based on the X-Pro2 specs, I'd either go with what you are proposing or simply an X-T1 (save some money now, get a few lenses, and then wait for the next gen X-series).

Reading about the Xpro2 it stated that the sensor could do 4K video. So I hope they enable it in the XT2.

I used to think 4K was a nonsense, but the ability to crop in and remain a full HD output is useful for interviews etc.

I know for many video isn't important, but not having 'good enough' video may put off some which will reduce market share which means less money for Fuji to invest in the product line. It would be a terrible shame if Fuji went the way of Samsung, withdrawing from the UK Mkt.

Fuji has been hinting strongly and publicly at the X-T2 showing up with the new sensor - comments like "the sensor and processor can handle 4k video, but that wasn't right for the X-Pro 2 - that's another camera".  The new X-Processor Pro in the X-Pro 2 hints at something else, too (and Fuji's pretty much said as much) - you don't need that kind of processor speed in an image quality focused RANGEFINDER??? I haven't been able to find the processor speed (either in megahertz and core type or in megapixels/second) for any camera other than Fuji's new X-Processor Pro (and the old one by reference in the description of the new one), but it seems to be in the range of at least a Nikon D4s/Canon 1Dx class processor, if not closer to the D5...The only reason for that speed that I can see is that it is shared with another project, one where it makes sense.. I can only see three possible cameras that could need a processor like that (an X-T2 that competes only against the D7200/ EOS7D mkII class doesn't need it).

:

1.) A "Top Pro" class DSLR (or in Fuji's case, the first attempt to put a mirrorless camera in that range)!

3.) A medium format camera (this isn't the X-T2, but it may ALSO be sitting on Fuji's "interesting ideas" shelf, if not already in "interesting prototypes").

If I worked for Fuji, I'd be aiming at a combination of 1. and 2. above - the Nikon I'd be aiming at is the D500, not the D7200, and I'd add GH4 class or better video capabilities.

Increased emphasis on video, since it no longer has to be the flagship still camera (I'd expect a LOT of video modes and options, some of them 4K, with GH4 level or better maximum data rates). At least 100 Mbps maximum data rate in 1080p and 4K, 200 Mbps certainly possible.

MAYBE an innovative codec in addition to H.264 (we've just begun to see native ProRes in a few cameras)

12 FPS with full autofocus (it could be either 10 or 14 (or more - the processor, astoundingly, would allow 20 FPS - see my comment on "what's this thing doing in a rangefinder" above), but I'd split the difference among likely frame rates and say 12.

Dual card slots, either SD/SD or maybe SD/XQD if they need XQD for some of the video data rates, or for an absurd frame rate

Modified X-T1 body (if the ISO dial in the X-Pro 2 works out, it may migrate to the X-T2, leaving the left side dial for drive modes and perhaps metering modes)...

Accessory grip with some additional video-focused connectors and the ability to take either multiple (3? one in the camera PLUS two in the grip ) NP-W 126s or a bigger battery

$1999

And the X-T20 (or more likely it'll be the X-T7 or some other in between number),using the 24 MP sensor, but perhaps a cut down, single core version of the processor.

Existing X-T1 viewfinder

Good (but not absurdly good) video - think 50 Mbps 4K and 1080p, H.264 only. This video will probably find its way to the X-Pro 2 with a little Kaizen firmware, which Fuji's even hinted at (the X-T2 video probably won't)

8 FPS

Single SD slot

$1199.

The X-T10 will stay a while, dropping to around $799 and giving an entry level  choice between rangefinder and DSLR styling.- it's a similar camera to the X-E2s in a different style.

I guessed at a split upgrade for a number of reasons having to do with Fuji engineer comments AND the power of the processor. Fuji engineers consistently mention a "multimedia camera", and the X-T1 really isn't one. It's a high performance still camera, but its video mode isn't even great for a midrange DSLR, let alone in the range of the mirrorless hybrids. That suggests the upgrade will have something distinctly new in that regard... The X-Processor Pro can handle a multimedia camera, and why build it for anything else (half of it would be perfectly sufficient for the X-Pro 2, or for a "vanilla" X-T2)? Fuji is small enough that they share a lot of parts between models, and that could explain the absurdly overpowered processor in the X-Pro 2.

If I had to guess on timing, I'd say Photokina, with pre-holiday availability? It's a bit tricky, because Fuji'd want to hit Photokina with the pro camera (not have it already out 3-4 months, and have the cut-down version be the Photokina introduction). On the other hand, the cheaper camera is going to be the holiday seller...

Maybe they'll slip the X-T2 out for the Olympics (Maybe with a great new telephoto prime - how about a 200mm f2.4 which becomes a 280mm f3.5 with the 1.4x AND a 400 mm f4.8 with a 2x converter)? A 200mm f2 does even more interesting things with converters, but that's a HUGE lens (5 lbs or more), and it's over $5000 (of course, so's everyone else's fast sports telephoto)... Given Fuji's sensor size, a 200 mm f2 is equivalent to a 300 mm f2 on full frame, then it can convert to a 400 mm f2.8 equivalent AND a 600 mm f4 equivalent. I haven't heard ANYTHING about a long, fast prime, but it's what a body like that would need to add to the present lens lineup...

This is a very interesting analysis, thank you!

I would personally expect the X-T2 to be Fujis answer to D500 and probably the forthcoming E-M1 mk2; i.e. a high performance camera with a definite orientation towards action. This is not to say that it would be less capable in other lines of work, of course, but you get my meaning. 4K is inevitable, in my opinion, but, that said, perhaps a future X-T20 could play the role of a more video-oriented and targeted at enthusiasts camera. Fuji is never going to steal Panasonic's thunder in video, let's be honest.

The comment about the Olympics makes sense, although I find it hard to imagine Fuji would invest in a fast super telephoto prime at this point. Nevertheless, the 100-400 seems more than capable in these conditions, and I'm sure we'll see the X-T2+100-400+TC combination in several sports events untill the end of the year.

:

$1999

Existing X-T1 viewfinder

8 FPS

Single SD slot

$1199.

Dan, great analysis. I think you should start blogging. I'm tired of checking the forum for your posts.  ;)

I absolutely agree that the X-T2 is going to be going after the D500, as EyesUnclouded says... One huge advantage of mirrorless is that, if you've built a high-speed camera, you've more or less got a highly capable video camera as well. Unlike Nikon, whose AF setup at high speeds is the one in the prism (phase detect, NOT on sensor), Fuji's AF is all on-sensor - it has to be, since there's no beamsplitter. Nikon can't get at their primary AF while shooting video, while anything mirrorless CAN. They can (and I  believe will) go for the D500 and GH4 markets with the same body (in a mirrorless camera, you almost get a GH4 for free when building a D500). Of course, you still have to do the codec side of video, but a lot of that is just having a good enough processor and licensing the right codecs. Fuji has the processor, and already pays for H.264 - I don't think you pay more to implement a higher data rate? My version of an X-T2 has high data rates and excellent codecs, but it's still a DSLRish design (I'd expect it to look as much like an X-T1 as an X-Pro2 looks like an X- Pro 1). It has a clean HDMI output, but NOT specialized video connectors like HD-SDI or XLR audio - those connectors are too large, and would compromise its use as a still camera.

I'd expect Panasonic, whose sales are tanking, to move their video focused GH series even farther upmarket, and away from still photography. The X-T2 may (is even likely to) have GH4-level video capability, BUT I'd expect the GH5, which is due around the same time as the X-T2, to have even higher end video codecs (probably native ProRes or similar and maybe raw video), professional sow notion, additional video-focused connectors, and perhaps even to LOOK like a video camera, with a rotating handgrip and a trigger. Time to stop pretending that thing is a still camera - I'm kind of expecting a "baby Cinema EOS" look to the GH5! Panasonic will probably maintain a true hybrid one level below the GH body, but I'd expect the GH to keep moving ever more towards being a dedicated video camera.

In the $1500--$2000 non full-frame market, we'd have something like (released by Photokina, on the market by Holiday 2016), ignoring stray Leicas and the like:

1.) Fuji X-Pro 2 - "rangefinder" with superb stills, acceptable video, unique interface

2.) Fuji X-T2 - DSLR style with high speed, excellent stills, 4K video with high data rate (but no specialized video interfaces - maybe an "adapter box"),  many dial controls.

3.) Nikon D500 - rugged sports DSLR, trades some image quality for speed, amazing high ISO, 4K video, but limited video functions

4.) Canon 7DmkIII - similar to D500, not QUITE as fast, but some additional video features.

5.) Panasonic GH5 - "baby Cinema camera" - yes, you can use this thing for 16 MP stills, but you can take a pickup truck to LeMans or use a Ferrari to buy groceries, too! Dedicated video form factor and connectors.

Possibilities:

1.)Sony A6100 or A7000. If they mean to price it above $1500, they'd better introduce some lenses, too :) Probably has a 36MP sensor, good to excellent video features and a really lousy 16-50 power zoom kit lens!

*From some of the interviews we saw with Fuji executives(they were asked "did you consider going over 24 MP", and replied "We found the best image quality at 24 MP", NOT "what sensor could we have used over 24 MP?", they experimented with some high pixel count sensor and weren't satisfied. Of course, that could have just been the known Samsung 28 MP sensor, which I'm sure is for sale, but I think they probably had samples of the Sony 36 MP unit, and CHOSE the 24 MP model...

2.) Canon or Nikon upper-end mirrorless body (if it's in this price range, it's more likely than not to be full-frame)

3.) Olympus E-M1 mkII. I don't know WHAT body they could dress that old sensor (or even the 20 MP variant) up in that would get the price over $1000, but that doesn't mean they won't try. I'd be surprised to see it touch $1500, but I guess it could.

On a different side of Fuji's system, does anyone know much about the new flash? My guess is that it's a Fuji rebrand of some new Sunpak that's not on the market yet, but that's a guess.

In the $1500--$2000 non full-frame market, we'd have something like (released by Photokina, on the market by Holiday 2016), ignoring stray Leicas and the like:

1.) Fuji X-Pro 2 - "rangefinder" with superb stills, acceptable video, unique interface

2.) Fuji X-T2 - DSLR style with high speed, excellent stills, 4K video with high data rate (but no specialized video interfaces - maybe an "adapter box"),  many dial controls.

3.) Nikon D500 - rugged sports DSLR, trades some image quality for speed, amazing high ISO, 4K video, but limited video functions

4.) Canon 7DmkIII - similar to D500, not QUITE as fast, but some additional video features.

5.) Panasonic GH5 - "baby Cinema camera" - yes, you can use this thing for 16 MP stills, but you can take a pickup truck to LeMans or use a Ferrari to buy groceries, too! Dedicated video form factor and connectors.

Dan, I think one of the biggest selling points (pertaining to video) for the XT-2 will be the ability for existing Fuji users to use their lenses. At least that's how I see it. I'm picking up an X-Pro 2 when available. Sure, I could get a uses GH4 or GH3 for dedicated video, but I'd much rather stay within my system and make investments in lenses. That said, I'm not shoot video professionally so, I'm not expecting a full video package out of the XT-2 and that's ok. 

I absolutely agree that the X-T2 is going to be going after the D500, as EyesUnclouded says... One huge advantage of mirrorless is that, if you've built a high-speed camera, you've more or less got a highly capable video camera as well. Unlike Nikon, whose AF setup at high speeds is the one in the prism (phase detect, NOT on sensor), Fuji's AF is all on-sensor - it has to be, since there's no beamsplitter. Nikon can't get at their primary AF while shooting video, while anything mirrorless CAN. They can (and I  believe will) go for the D500 and GH4 markets with the same body (in a mirrorless camera, you almost get a GH4 for free when building a D500). Of course, you still have to do the codec side of video, but a lot of that is just having a good enough processor and licensing the right codecs. Fuji has the processor, and already pays for H.264 - I don't think you pay more to implement a higher data rate? My version of an X-T2 has high data rates and excellent codecs, but it's still a DSLRish design (I'd expect it to look as much like an X-T1 as an X-Pro2 looks like an X- Pro 1). It has a clean HDMI output, but NOT specialized video connectors like HD-SDI or XLR audio - those connectors are too large, and would compromise its use as a still camera.

I'd expect Panasonic, whose sales are tanking, to move their video focused GH series even farther upmarket, and away from still photography. The X-T2 may (is even likely to) have GH4-level video capability, BUT I'd expect the GH5, which is due around the same time as the X-T2, to have even higher end video codecs (probably native ProRes or similar and maybe raw video), professional sow notion, additional video-focused connectors, and perhaps even to LOOK like a video camera, with a rotating handgrip and a trigger. Time to stop pretending that thing is a still camera - I'm kind of expecting a "baby Cinema EOS" look to the GH5! Panasonic will probably maintain a true hybrid one level below the GH body, but I'd expect the GH to keep moving ever more towards being a dedicated video camera.

In regards to the extra connections, a great way to do it is to introduce a specialized "grip" add-on, similar to the one for the GH-4, incorporating extra connections, perhaps storage, batteries, etc. That way most of the video-centric features for advanced users shall stay out of the way of still shooters as well as casual video-users.

As far as Panasonic is concerned, they have already stated they are going for 8K by 2018. That will inevitably mean a larger sensor, since pixel density in a m43 sensor will be prohibitive. I'm thinking Panasonic is going to go for full frame or APS-H (see RED) sensors in the future, and perhaps is already working in such a direction.

Honestly, it might be a bit too late for the X-T2 to go after the D500.

If the rumors hold true, the announcement will be in somewhere early Q3, while the D500 pretty much came out of nowhere, it was not expected at all and I don't think anyone saw Nikon coming with a new king of the hill on APS-C format.

At this point Fuji is almost done on the X-T2 specs on development is already looking for the manufacturing deals. Unless they feel confident enough in the X-T2 changing plans now in response to the D500 is going to cost them some major issues. 

The X-Pro2 is not threatened as it doesn't targe the same audience. But the X-T2 could very well be outclassed by the D500 even almost 6 later in release.

Fuji ideology has always been image quality in stills and it backed up by their own craftsmanship in lenses.

Seeing the (probably D5/D500 class (although Nikon won't release the specs of theirs) processor Fuji came up with, I don't think it'll be a huge problem. Mirrorless has some huge advantages as you get the frame rate up, and for video, since you're not flapping a big mirror around. The one place where Nikon may have an advantage, pending the performance of Fuji's new PDAF, is in AF tracking speed.

[...]The one place where Nikon may have an advantage, pending the performance of Fuji's new PDAF, is in AF tracking speed.

Agreed, if there one area where the Nikon bodies have always done exceptionally well is the AF speed, even the Nikon 1 got a very impressive AF for such a small sensor.

Anyway, I didn't run to get the pre-order on the D500, still waiting for the X-T2 announcement and if it comes with IBIS, I will snatch it immediately just because I recently got into legacy lenses, courtesy of Milandro :P

If the XT-2 s announced/released this summer I'd be shocked if it did not feature the same processor/sensor as the X-Pro 2, and all the new technical specifications that come with that.

I expect it to feature an EVF only, and an articulating screen, and if it is released at a lower price point to lose maybe the 2nd SD card slot (although hope it doesn't).

Tikcus's fundamental speculation would be mine as well - that it's an X-Pro 2 derivative, so we know the processor and sensor (and would be crazy not to want them both, from those few who've used an X-Pro 2).

It's certainly EVF only (that's the fundamental distinction between X-Pro and X-anything else). The question is "more expensive, with a groundbreaking EVF (Leica SL style) or less expensive with a good, but not unbelievable EVF"? My guess is more expensive, great EVF.

I think we know the PDAF pattern - if they're coming out a few months from each other, it's the X-Pro 2 setup (which is about as good as it gets in early 2016).

We've met the shutter before - it's the 1/8000 sec unit from the X-Pro 2. Again, we want it - I haven't read a thing about shutter shock or the like, and several reviewers have specifically said it doesn't have problems (and apparently has a gorgeous sound)

I suspect it's pretty much an X-T1 body, probably with the X-Pro 2 focusing selector joystick? I'd expect a tilt screen like the X-T1, maybe fully articulated. We probably get the 1.62 million dot panel from the X-Pro 2.

It certainly has 4K video - Fuji execs were tripping over each other to hint about THAT. Again, there's a question of "decent 4K at a decent price, or great 4K for more money"? I'm guessing very good, but not the absolute top of the line.- probably as good as the GH4, or even slightly better, and perhaps including 4k60p (but it'll come out around the same time as the GH5, which I'd expect to be another major step up). If Fuji really wants to surprise us (and I think this is unlikely), the processor and perhaps the sensor are capable of 5k 30p

I'd expect a step up in frame rate from the X-Pro 2 - the X-Processor Pro is capable of reading the sensor out at 20 fps, and the sensor itself may be capable of full readout at 19 fps (the new Sony IMX 271 is, and that may be the sensor behind the X-Trans III). Of course, that leaves nothing at all in the processor's tank for AF or keeping the viewfinder fed, so that (if supported) would be a niche mode for oddities like golf swing analysis or certain types of wildlife photography where you prefocus and wait for the action. I'd expect a more realistic top speed (retaining AF and the finder) in the range of 10-14 FPS, with 12 the most likely value.  That's D500 territory - I suspect Fuji may have their sights set on Nikon's top DX body.

If the other specs are towards the top end of these ranges, I'd expect the second SD card slot to stay, and both slots to be UHS-II (or there's a slight possibility that one of the slots is XQD). If the other specs are closer to the bottom of the range, I'd expect a single UHS-II slot, or possibly dual slots configured like the X-Pro 2.

Weathersealing will be at least X-T1/X/Pro 2 standard, with some (significant) chance of better than that, especially if other specs run closer to the top of these ranges.

I'd speculate that, with its mix of capabilities, it will wind up being more expensive than the X-T1, and Fuji may release an intermediate model as well (probably after the X-T2).

Total guess, but world-beating X-T2 at $1999 or maybe  $1799 if we're lucky (D500 money, for a relatively direct D500 competitor with better IQ and video); X-T7 (or whatever) at $1199 with lower level video (4k, but no high data rates, slo-mo or 4k60p), 8 FPS, no second slot, "ordinary" EVF, several other odd features missing (but retaining the X-Trans III and some level of weathersealing) - a competitor to the D7200 level of cameras.

[...]

Total guess, but world-beating X-T2 at $1999 or maybe  $1799 if we're lucky (D500 money, for a relatively direct D500 competitor with better IQ and video); X-T7 (or whatever) at $1199 with lower level video (4k, but no high data rates, slo-mo or 4k60p), 8 FPS, no second slot, "ordinary" EVF, several other odd features missing (but retaining the X-Trans III and some level of weathersealing) - a competitor to the D7200 level of cameras.

The Nikon D500 is one heck of a tough cookie to chew at, the specs are really impressive and we all know that at low ISO, there is almost no differences between all the manufacturer, the new X-Trans sensor native ISO is 12800 while the D500 is two stop further away. Coupled with the very impressive buffer and a Nikon D5 level of AF in an APS-C body, I am really not certain that going after that with the current guessistimate specs of the X-T2 is going to be wise.

Also, the D7200 is not even a year old, it is still a very solid camera, chunkier than Fuji, but at half the price of the X-Pro2.

Now about the IQ, we will have to wait until April-May before real reviews are done on the RAW file of the D500 before we start comparing the details and rendering.

It certainly has 4K video - Fuji execs were tripping over each other to hint about THAT. Again, there's a question of "decent 4K at a decent price, or great 4K for more money"? I'm guessing very good, but not the absolute top of the line.- probably as good as the GH4, or even slightly better, and perhaps including 4k60p (but it'll come out around the same time as the GH5, which I'd expect to be another major step up). If Fuji really wants to surprise us (and I think this is unlikely), the processor and perhaps the sensor are capable of 5k 30p

Sensor could do 5k 30p. But I don't really see a point in it (but that could be some firmware update ;) )

4k 60p is different. With fuji it isn't really the speed that is the problem, but that the X-Trans is an irregular pattern that is harder to demosaic (you need more processing power). So a slower video but with full sensor read out and downsampling helps more - the video quality gets much better

I'd expect a step up in frame rate from the X-Pro 2 - the X-Processor Pro is capable of reading the sensor out at 20 fps, and the sensor itself may be capable of full readout at 19 fps (the new Sony IMX 271 is, and that may be the sensor behind the X-Trans III).

The sensor readout is much faster than what you quoted (what this means for the sensor you can think for yourself ;) )

Of course, that leaves nothing at all in the processor's tank for AF or keeping the viewfinder fed, so that (if supported) would be a niche mode for oddities like golf swing analysis or certain types of wildlife photography where you prefocus and wait for the action. I'd expect a more realistic top speed (retaining AF and the finder) in the range of 10-14 FPS, with 12 the most likely value.  That's D500 territory - I suspect Fuji may have their sights set on Nikon's top DX body.

The problem with EVF cameras isn't the maximum fps (and don't worry about the processor ), the problem is the viewfinder blackout. 10-12fps gives you blackout. The readout/blackout time should work out to something around 6fps. (Personally the 8fps on the X-T1 are more than enough for me, the blackout is the problem. 6-8fps without blackout are more than enough) 

So to sum it up, Fuji can do 4k. The sensor could also do 5k. And weathersealing is nice. So are two SD slots.

The problem is: all those things don't really play nice together. Fast sensor readout (especially in video) with the huge processing power need, you get a lot of heat. Putting more stuff into a small body (2 SD card slots) and sealing it only makes this worse.

So I wouldn't expect 5k recording for 30 minutes continuous   ;) (I guess you get what I am suggesting) 

• 4 weeks later...

First rumored GH5 specs (EosHD) - it's 6K! Plus 4K60p and impressive slo-mo... No word on codec as yet - only three ways to do those resolutions...

1.) It's got one HECK of a processor in it (don't want to think about heat or battery life), and is using some fancy compression so data rates aren't all THAT high (under 400 mbps) - this will work with a single SD card, if the card is fast enough.

2.) The codec is easier to process, but the data rate is REALLY high - this probably means the storage isn't ordinary single SD (think xQD, CFast or more than one SD card writing at once). RED does very high bit rates, but they write to SSDs, NOT cards. One way to do this would be UHS-II dual-slot, with many frame rates allowing the usual options, but the highest frame rates and resolutions using the slots in RAID 0. Somebody once did a camcorder that required FOUR SD cards writing at once (when SD cards were slower than they are now), so it's not a new idea.

3.)The video is overcompressed, and doesn't really look any better than lesser resolutions...

I would suspect that Fuji doesn't go for GH5 territory (I only mention the GH5 to get an idea where the bar is going to be around Photokina time - we may see the GH5 as early as NAB, or it may wait until Photokina).  Since Fuji's aiming for a still camera with excellent video, not a movie camera that takes pictures, I bet it has a maximum video data rate around 200 mbps (a two year old GH4 can do that). Very good 4K30 - if the codec's good enough, maybe 4K60. Hopefully some sort of good slo-mo in 1080p. The GH4 is 1080p96, and 2 years of codec progress should permit 1080p120 with ease, maybe a burst mode at 1080p240, but with a maximum recording time measured in seconds (Sony's Rx100mkIV pocket camera does this or comes close)?

A $2000 price tag would kill it.  I'm thinking that it will be lower in price much like between X-Pro & X-T1 if we compare prices at launch.

Going by Fuji history:

24MP to share senors between both flagship cameras

4K video (since I don't do video, not sure codec's or fps)

Dual SD card slots (I'd like it to be UHS-II on both, but more then likely it will be UHS-II/UHS-I)

Joystick

EVF, higher resolution & faster refresh rate (120fps), maybe even bigger (true IMAX experience lol)

Equal or greater then X-Pro2 AF points with wider coverage

WR

They might move all image adjustment dials to the right leaving drive dials on the left.

1/8000 shutter speed w/ 250 flash sync speed

10-12 fps

NP-W126 battery (I'm thinking they'll introduce a bigger battery this time)

$1400-1500 body only

Let's see how many of those turn out to be true.

“...We will integrate the 4K video in the next models of the T series.."

So it looks increasingly like they are differentiating the Pro line from the T line.

Shame they aren’t introducing the two cameras at the same time, which would make a real statement in this sense.

If you want one of our camera be aware that the Pro line does this........., the T like does this........, the X line does the this............ 

Different lines for different needs.

This phased introduction of subsequent alternative top models on the market, is a strategy which creates lots of confusion and leaves a lot of dissatisfaction among the customers whom are buying one model whereas they might have preferred another.

A lot of customers are now buying the X Pro 2 because of the camera advancement which this shows over the X-T1. Maybe they would have not bought it it they would have known that a camera, with enhanced video functions (and at this point who knows what else) was following.

Now Fuji is saying ( just as well they are doing this before many have had the chance to buy the X-Pro-2)  that the X-T2 will feature enhanced video capabilities, capabilities which they say their marketing research department have determined aren’t of any consequence for the Pro buyers. “ ...But according to our studies users do not expect 4K feature on the X-Pro 2..."

I am sure that they marketing department is gifted with immense foresight, judgement and wisdom, but I can’t help thinking that some folks would feel they would have been the best judge of that!

Anyway, the marketing merry go round lives of a continuous trickle of rumors introducing new models all promising that we will all be happier with the next model to come.

Although I’ve put some money on the side for future purchases I am sitting on the banks of the river waiting to see what Fuji will do next. 

You can take great pictures, with any camera, while waiting on the banks of a river, when you will see the Bandwagon (or Band-Barge) in the distance there will be always time to jump on it.

Or not.

This is great news.  It seems we are getting some real definition now between the models.  I always assumed that the T series would be adding better video capabilities once we saw the specs on the Pro2.  We can clearly see what Fuji is wanting to do now, and this helps the consumer decide which models best suit their needs.  I can tell by reading this, that the Pro2 will most likely be in my future as video means very little to me.

This is a great move by Fuji in my opinion.