Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

24MP would be nice in an X-T2, but unlike others who are adamant that it's a "must have", not sure that not having that would be a deal killer for me. What would be is a lack of substantial improvements in the AF subsystem, both in terms of low light AF and tracking. Probably the biggest complaint I've had (and read from others in various forums) about the transition from DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless has related to challenges in using their cameras (X-T1 in particular) for sports, wildlife, BIF, etc. If Fuji were to take a hint from Sony and invest heavily in improving their AF and delivering reasonable DSLR class performance, the X-T2 could be a true killer camera. Their lens selection (plus roadmap additions) already would meet most photographers' needs. A major improvement in AF would be a real game changer, IMHO. What's listed in the rumors so far is pretty well a big "yawn", however, I'd have to believe (and hope) that Fuji has more up their sleeve.

The 16-55, 35mmf2, 90mm, 50-140mm are all lightning fast. Fuji's AF won't improve until they refresh their older lenses.

I have no doubt Fuji will keep improving their AF, and their lens roadmap is on the right track, a long tele prime would be awesome. I'm hoping for at least a 24mp bump and AE bracketing greater than -1 to +1, that's what my work requires. If no megapixel increase I won't bother, because the X-T1 is fulfilling 80% of what I need on a daily basis.

I would like to have a second X-T1 as I shoot a lot of events and 2 bodies is much faster than switching lenses. I love my X-T1 though I do wish that the AF was a bit faster and more reliable when shooting in lower light. I suppose I'll just go ahead and get a second body now even if I swap one out for an X-T2 mid 2016

An ideal X-T2 for me - I'd like 2 card slots, stay at 16MP, better low light AF, better high ISO performance and longer battery life. 

BTW - I recently shot an outdoor event in the rain and my X-T1 handled it without incident. The camera was quite wet but all was well... 

The 16-55, 35mmf2, 90mm, 50-140mm are all lightning fast. Fuji's AF won't improve until they refresh their older lenses.

Not so. There are a ton of improvements possible in AF that are not dependent on improvements in their lenses. Simply compare the number and sensitivity of AF points in a typical semipro class DSLR (think Canon 7D or better yet 7DMkII). The combination of more points, much better tracking, higher point sensitivity, and greater point coverage would make a huge difference with any of Fuji's lenses. Even Canon's basic kit lenses (far lower in quality that Fuji's 18-55) offer better and more accurate tracking than the X-T1, for example. BTW, I don't find the overall AF speed of the 18-55 to be a slouch either and it rarely causes me to lose a shot except in low light situations where it hunts. More sensitive points would absolutely help remedy that situation and wouldn't require an outright replacement of the lens.

At this time of the year, with the new year approaching, there is a solid, millenary tradition of predictions for the coming year. Traditionally this was the territory of the astrologers who, looking at the stars were able to predict (or so they thought) the future. Nowadays a new generation of “ augures “ ( the Roman priest who, by examining the entrails of the sacrificed birds, pretended to predict the future), people whom look at the entrails of their old camera and make predictions on how the new one will be. Amazing!

An ideal X-T2 for me - I'd like 2 card slots, stay at 16MP, better low light AF, better high ISO performance and longer battery life. 

Indeed, that's pretty much what I'd want too. For my style of photography, low light performance (AF & high ISO) are critical.

As for the pixel count, I have nothing against it if it doesn't go against the low light performance. Sony managed to do it, I hope Fuji can too :)

Not so. There are a ton of improvements possible in AF that are not dependent on improvements in their lenses. Simply compare the number and sensitivity of AF points in a typical semipro class DSLR (think Canon 7D or better yet 7DMkII). The combination of more points, much better tracking, higher point sensitivity, and greater point coverage would make a huge difference with any of Fuji's lenses. Even Canon's basic kit lenses (far lower in quality that Fuji's 18-55) offer better and more accurate tracking than the X-T1, for example. BTW, I don't find the overall AF speed of the 18-55 to be a slouch either and it rarely causes me to lose a shot except in low light situations where it hunts. More sensitive points would absolutely help remedy that situation and wouldn't require an outright replacement of the lens.

You are right about 3d tracking, but that's much more of a software thing. If you look at the 35mm 1.4 for example though, that lens is going to be slow until it has the next gen of Fuji AF motor tech inside it. No firmware or software upgrade is really going to move the needle on that lens, nor the 18mm f2, the 23mm 1.4, the 23mm f2 on the x100, the 56mm 1.2 yada yada yada

You are right about 3d tracking, but that's much more of a software thing. If you look at the 35mm 1.4 for example though, that lens is going to be slow until it has the next gen of Fuji AF motor tech inside it. No firmware or software upgrade is really going to move the needle on that lens, nor the 18mm f2, the 23mm 1.4, the 23mm f2 on the x100, the 56mm 1.2 yada yada yada

Maybe for absolute speed, but hunting in low light can be improved for those lenses. In bright daylight, the speed of the 23 and 56 is fine for me. 

Well, perhaps because I'm primarily a zoom shooter, the AF speed frankly hasn't been that much of an issue (except in challenging light where the camera can have a tendency to hunt).  Your comment struck me as more of a blanket statement, and while it might apply to those lenses, there remains a fair amount of newer glass that offers plenty adequate AF speed IMHO.  I'm much more concerned about tracking and other "software" and body issues which impacts AF performance and accuracy in all lenses, not just the old ones.  Appreciate the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Dual SD cards would be useful, I would prefer them both the fastest revision available at time of release. (who wouldn't?)

However, taking RAW files on one card and JPEGS on the other would be great for events, when you need to get shots onto a projector or screen quickly and want to continue shooting.

Currently I have 2 options wifi the jpegs to a tablet (which means I can not take photos during this period) or swap out the SD card, but then whoever is working the screens, has to filter through jpegs and raw files, and if they screw up I have lost all the files.

On the X-Pro2, and hopefully XT-2 (probably little chance of 2 SD card slots making their way into XT-20), if they screw up, I lose the JPEGS only.,