Fujifilm X-T2 rumors

Patrick FR

It's already time to start a Fujifilm X-T2 rumors thread.

Here is new information: http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t2-will-be-announced-in-june-available-in-summer-and-here-are-the-first-rumored-specs/

SOURCE RIGHT IN THE PAST

• X-T2 to be announced pretty soon after the X-Pro2 [NOTE: the Fujifilm X-Pro2 will be unveiled on January 15. If true, also the X-T2 will be announced in the first half of 2016, too.]

NEW SOURCE

• Announcement in June

ANONYMOUS SOURCE

• Available in Summer (ASwN)
  • 1080 @ 120fps (ASwN)
  • improved continuous autofocus (ASwN)
  • 10 FPS continuous (ASwN)

Makes sense to release close-ish to X-Pro 2

I think Fuji have a bit of a marketing nightmare on their hands.

X-Pro2 is rightly the flagship in the sense that it has the hybrid viewfinder and with AF updates and a new sensor its going to be a great camera. However a lot of people (rightly or wrongly its still a fact) prefer the SLR shape and the additional control provided by an ISO dial etc. I think Fuji realize that they have a huge audience for the X-T its been there most popular camera and that if they wait to long to release it after the X-Pro2 then they might annoy everyone.

They obviously want a little bit of time for the X-Pro2 to be the only game in town so it does not get totally trounced in sales which would be embarassing given its the 'flagship' model, and more expensive.

G

G

I'm excited to follow this. I'll need a second body by summer, and I'd prefer the X-T2 because it suits my style of shooting better, but if it's not out in time, I'll have to decde whether to get the X-Pro2 or just grab an X-T10 for now until both new flagships are out. I'd prefer the X-T2 because of the battery grip, but I could probably live without it if the release date is too late for my needs.

I'd like to see higher ISO available in raw, better AF in low light (consistency's more important than speed to me), higher flash sync speed, and faster shot-to-shot time. I'm assuming the X-Pro2 will have similar features, so if the T2 release date is too late, I'll definitely be considering the Pro.

Interesting points it might have.

If it wants to retain Flagship status that would be a good move as then it would have the key features of the X-T1 fast AF (hopefully) direct ISO control and on top of that the OVF

They will have to do it and retain the clean lines of the Rangefinder body though. I don't know where you would put it without cluttering up the area where the SS and EV dial are. I suppose they could go the GX8 route and have a stacked dial with ISO on the bottom and EV on the top. Or stacked with ISO bottom and SS on top, which actually might be better. Personally I could live without the EV dial completely as I would much rather just control ISO directly and have it be far more incremental. Have Aperture SS and ISO with finer increments and you have total control of exposure right there. EV dial just controls whichever one of the above happens to be in Auto mode. Get rid and use manual set yout A and S to what you require for the nature of your shot ie to set depth of field and freeze the action/create blur and then set ISO to expose.

Maybe that flies in the face of proper photography but it would work for me.

G

• 3 weeks later...

With all the flagship talk, it makes me wonder... Does the X-Pro really have to be the flagship model? Can't it be part of the flagship lineup with the top X-T model?

It's not like the X-Pro is all-around better, like comparing the 1DX to the 5D. The X-T is obviously popular enough that many people prefer it over the X-Pro, and they're two completely different cameras geared towards different types of photographer.

I observed that in certain parts of the world, the "rangefinder" format is still considered the grand daddy of more compact camera formats.

Asian culture places more emphasis on "honoring" the elders. A cultural hierarchy still observed today in most Asian countries. I'm assuming that could be why the X-Pro is still the flagship.

Strategically, the X-Pro may not be better technically than the X-T range but it does cater somewhat towards a group who don't mind a "slower" pace of photography especially with equal or better picture IQ.

I enjoy the challenge of photography with the X-Pro tremendously. Even though I can take more keepers with the 5D3.

I think that all this talk is a little non-sense... is it so important for you to own the flagship model?

I chose the X-T1 not because it was the top model, but because I like its features and its desing more than

the other cameras in the lineup

I don't know if the T2 specs will be a step forward big enough to change to it from my X-T1 (probably not), but I am very interested

in seeing what they have got for us

I don't know if the T2 specs will be a step forward big enough to change to it from my X-T1 (probably not), but I am very interested

in seeing what they have got for us

I'm not an Fujifilm user yet; rather, I'm a DSLR user waiting on the sidelines to see what the X-Pro2 and X-T2 will be like spec-wise.  Right now, I'd have to say that the X-T1 is looking pretty good, but I'm also not sure if the X-T2 will be enough of an improvement to justify the extra expense.  

Guess I'll just sit and wait in the meantime and hope that both cameras are out by Summer '16.

it all depends on when and where you are jumping on the bandwagon (or not).

I jumped on the bandwagon with the X-E1 followed by the X-T1 when the first camera failed (long story) being repaired.

The idea was, for me, at the time: “ I’buy the more advanced type NOW, ...chances are that will be having a good performance for many years to come anyway"

Of course the X-T2 will show reasons to be an improvement over the X-T1 but if the improvement will be mostly limited to:

1) Pixel count

2) Movies

3) faster AF

Then I think that I will stick with my X-T1 and maybe I will even buy a X-E2 second body if and when the prices come down and the firmware would be brought at least, for the most part, at par with the X-T1 or 10.

Frankly I don’t anticipate anything “ revolutionary” ( by the way, I remember this film with Jean Reno , Leon, where he rays that a revolution means a 360 degrees turn which brings you where you were, while we all use this  term as in "going forward! ") .

Chances are that most “ improvements" will be minor, revolutionary staying more or less where we are already, but the press, bloggers and rumor sites will all play it as the X-T2 will be the best invention after sliced bread ( is sliced bread really such an improvement?).

Until the X-T3 that is.

What else would you want from an X-T2 that isn't covered by one of the three things you mention? The first two seem to be the most commonly mentioned shortcomings of the X-T1, and the third is the Achilles' heel of almost every mirrorless camera.

The X-T1 already has:

About the best handling of any mirrorless camera

The best lens line around (except, perhaps for Nikon's or Canon's full-frame lineup, which don't have quite as many great choices in the midrange, but DO have quite a few exotics Fuji can't match).

a very durable body

superb image quality per pixel...

Are you saying that there is no possible X-T2 that would interest you (unless you either print big, want video, or need better AF, an X-T1 satisfies most needs), or are you looking for something you don't think you'll get?

I am saying that improving from 16 to 24 Mp , improved videos and better autofocus won’t give ME any reason to upgrade from the present model that I own.

If that will sway others, I don’t know.

Because any print that I might want to do with my camera would be large enough for my needs with the files that I can produce right now.

I don’t film if not for some quick and dirty family things...which I don’t even edit...and I don’t take pictures which require any quicker autofocus than I have at present.

Maybe better save MY money for something else ( I put some on the side for any gear acquisition syndrome attack )

But I could be pleasantly surprised, who knows? What’s done is done, no use in wish lists , in a few days we will know.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed with Phil. I think the X-T line might actually cater more to pros than the x-pro, with features like a battery grip that make holding giant lenses like the 50-140 a whole lot easier.

An L-bracket grip caters to heavy lens users better than the battery grip.

I also think you'd probably find more mad enthusiasts than actual pros using those heavy lenses anyway.

X-Pro2 needs to be WR, get a bigger buffer and faster processing.

An L-bracket grip caters to heavy lens users better than the battery grip.

I also think you'd probably find more mad enthusiasts than actual pros using those heavy lenses anyway.

X-Pro2 needs to be WR, get a bigger buffer and faster processing.

I use the xt1 plus 16-55mm for pro work, much prefer the battery grip over the L bracket. And the quality on the zoom is a solid step above the 23, 35 and 56mm primes that I also use.

I am saying that improving from 16 to 24 Mp , improved videos and better autofocus won’t give ME any reason to upgrade from the present model that I own.

If that will sway others, I don’t know.

Because any print that I might want to do with my camera would be large enough for my needs with the files that I can produce right now.

There are a few times where I'd enjoy a higher MP count (mostly product photos and headshots) but for most of what I'd shoot (personal stuff and weddings/events), I'd actually do better with a lower MP count, especially if it meant better high ISO performance and faster write speeds.

I know everyone has different needs and preferences, but I get a bit confused when people demand 24+ MP on an APS-C camera. That's like the equivalent of 50+ MP on a full frame, which isn't a practical pixel pitch at all. ISO performance drops pretty quickly, and diffraction and camera shake kick in a stop or two earlier. More resolution isn't always the answer.

I've said it before, but I'd like to see them split it two ways, and offer cameras with say 24 MP and 8 or 12 MP. It doesn't have to be every model, but if 24 MP becomes the new standard, I'd like to see at least one or two models (maybe an X-T variant and an X-E variant) offer a lower MP count. For what a lot of Fuji users shoot (street photography) you'd think the lower MP count would suit their shooting style better.

I use the xt1 plus 16-55mm for pro work, much prefer the battery grip over the L bracket. And the quality on the zoom is a solid step above the 23, 35 and 56mm primes that I also use.

I definitely prefer the battery grip with heavier lenses, but I'd love it if I could use a regular extended grip along with the battery grip, like the OM-D E-M5ii. Or make the stock grip on the X-T1 more like the battery grip. :)

I hope they find a better place for the tripod socket...it's too close to the battery door to use a standard quick release plate. I'd love to see it properly centered under the lens, though I understand they may not have enough depth there to do it.

The solution to this, I've found is to leave an L-bracket on the camera at all times, but it makes it bigger and heavier.  But it leaves the battery compartment free to open, and of course, in some ways, it's better than a quick release plate...except when you want the camera to be its original size and weight.

I have found one Arca Swiss compatible plate that is small enough that it doesn't block the battery door, but you have to use it sideways.

if it's not out in time, I'll have to decde whether to get the X-Pro2 or just grab an X-T10 for now until both new flagships are out.

I had the same dilemma for the trip coming up in January (leaving before January 15th :( ), but I will not need it for a while after that. I did not want to buy an interim solution, already having X-100s and X-E1 as backups. My solution was to rent a body from http://lensrentals.com for the trip and then get a new body. I did take advantage of the Xmas lens sale, though.

24MP would be nice in an X-T2, but unlike others who are adamant that it's a "must have", not sure that not having that would be a deal killer for me.  What would be is a lack of substantial improvements in the AF subsystem, both in terms of low light AF and tracking.  Probably the biggest complaint I've had (and read from others in various forums) about the transition from DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless has related to challenges in using their cameras (X-T1 in particular) for sports, wildlife, BIF, etc.  If Fuji were to take a hint from Sony and invest heavily in improving their AF and delivering reasonable DSLR class performance, the X-T2 could be a true killer camera.  Their lens selection (plus roadmap additions) already would meet most photographers' needs.  A major improvement in AF would be a real game changer, IMHO.  What's listed in the rumors so far is pretty well a big "yawn", however, I'd have to believe (and hope) that Fuji has more up their sleeve.