How do you store your camera and lenses when not in use?

rickytj

I don't use them every day, probably just once every week. I know the basics like not putting them under direct sunlight or in high humidity, but I still want to know the details.

-right now I don't have a casing nor a bag (newly bought camera), and I just put them naked on the table beside my laptop but with no direct sunlight, is it okay?

-is it okay to put them beside my laptop? I'm just afraid my laptop can generate heat and electro magnetic fields that can damage the camera and lenses?

-should i put my camera standing (sensor facing sideways) or lying (sensor facing ceiling)? and how about the lens?

-when not using, should I always remove the lens and battery from the camera?

-should i always store my camera and lenses in a bag with a desiccant? and how often should I replace desiccant normally?

Again, my questions sound very noob... newbie here :D

Thanks all :)

I have my camera and lenses in a large camera bag, the same I use when I go out. If the bag protects my camera and lenses from the elements outside it will protect the camera indoors too.

I have always done this with cameras digital or analog for many many years. My home is not damp, in winter we have central heating. It is possible that people living in the tropics in a non air-conditioned house might need some desiccant... but I would not think this is common thing because your clothes and shoes would go moldy before your camera does and you would know your living quarters are not fit to have you or your camera there.

Seriously, even living in a boat or a caravan wouldn’t require you to have silica gel packs in your bag unless everything is covered with mold.

I have stored the camera sensor up or dow or vertical and I have yet to get dust on the sensor. I occasionally blow on the sensor with a blower while changing lenses. Never removed battery or lens.

Don’t worry too much it’s bad for your health. ;)

Store your camera standing on its base. This stops any dust settling on the sensor and also allows any dust on the sensor to fall off. In larger DSLRs there is a piece of material under the sensor to retain dust, not sure if Fuji's or any other mirrorless have this same thing (it would be much smaller!).

Keep out of the reach of grandchildren.

I keep my kit in a camera bag most of the time if for no other reason than it is convenient to do so.  I also have little packets of descant in with my cameras and in the lens pouches. As Milandro suggests, depending on where you live, this might not be necessary; but it is zero effort and minimal cost to do, so why not?

Keep out of the reach of grandchildren.

Thanks so much for the answers.

To @Milandro:

you said never removed battery or lens but I just stumbled upon an article from Nikon that we need to remove lens and battery when not using (for a while). Does this make any difference at all actually, between removing or keeping them attached?

Thanks

If one needs to do that this is absolutely news to me!  :blink:

I have never had any ill effect from not removing battery and lens but who knows that why my pictures are not what I would like them to be!

:D Seriously, I have no idea of why this should be done but we carry things around mounted and nothing happens I don’t see how anything wrong would happen if they were standing still with battery and lens on.

I store mine in a cabinet with a glass door. Not because it's a display, but it's the only place in the house where I have space for the camera ... ;-)

Actually, I have this:

- Domke F10JD containing X-E2 with 18-55 mounted + XF35 f/1.4, sitting in one shelf of the cabinet

- Billingham Hadley Small with X100T + TCL-X100 + EF-X20 and some small assorted stuff sitting next to the Domke

- Billingham Hadley Pro containing X-T1 with XF35 f/2 mounted, XF23 and XF56 + Nissin i40 + assorted stuff, sitting next to the shelf

The Domke is my wife's go to bag. The Hadley Pro is my go to bag when I'm planning more elaborate shots, the Hadley Small is my fun go to and vacation bag. I have a bunch of other lenses sit on the shelf above the two small bags: Macro lenses, adapted lenses, speciality lenses (14, 27) and all the other bits and pieces like a set of flashes and triggers in their pouches, grips and other assorted bits and pieces. 

Overall, I don't think it matters too much, but I wouldn't store on an open shelf just due to dust collection.

Removing batteries from a device that will be stored for long time is actual for alkaline types of battery (they can leak with their chemistry) and Ni-Cd/Ni-MH rechargeables (they just will be empty due to internal leakage current). These types of battery were used in old cameras before the lithium technology was spreaded. No reasons to remove today's lithium batteries, other than charging or using with another device. 

Removing lens makes a sense if it helps to arrange storage space, for example. Why no. Put lens into its original package - what can be better?

When I'm in my Jersey home, I keep all my gear in a camera backpack in a cool mud room; I have silica gel in the backpack to keep it dry.  I keep a battery in the camera, the 18-55 lens on, and it's in the backpack sitting on it's bottom when the backpack is laid flat on a shelf.  When I'm up at my Maine home, as it's on the coast and subject to some serious humidity especially in the summertime as well as salt air year round, I keep it in the same backpack, then i put the backpack in a safe built into my floors.  Inside the safe I keep silica gel to keep everything nice and dry.

When I'm going out to shoot I pull the backpack out, and load up one of my other four - five bags.  Depends on what I'm taking, and/or what I'm photographing.  Hope that helps.

I bought a linen-covered insert for socks at the Container Store and put it in an antique Bible box.  I open the lid and all my lenses are standing upright and I can take what I need.  I bought some freezer containers at Bed, Bath and Beyond that have lids on them and the little things go inside.  Everything fits in the wooden box.  My cameras are on a bookcase where I can see them.  They are too beautiful to hide.  Inside a cabinet, I set up a battery charging station.  I keep batteries in labeled bamboo drawer dividers that are made for kitchen gadgets.  I invested in a Fogg bag that is so pretty I just leave it out.  In about 10 steps I can grab bag, lenses, camera of choice, fresh batteries, and be out the door.  (Or just take the X100T and leave everything else behind.)

Thanks so much all for the answers... 

I bought a linen-covered insert for socks at the Container Store and put it in an antique Bible box.  I open the lid and all my lenses are standing upright and I can take what I need.  I bought some freezer containers at Bed, Bath and Beyond that have lids on them and the little things go inside.  Everything fits in the wooden box.  My cameras are on a bookcase where I can see them.  They are too beautiful to hide.  Inside a cabinet, I set up a battery charging station.  I keep batteries in labeled bamboo drawer dividers that are made for kitchen gadgets.  I invested in a Fogg bag that is so pretty I just leave it out.  In about 10 steps I can grab bag, lenses, camera of choice, fresh batteries, and be out the door.  (Or just take the X100T and leave everything else behind.)

Sounds beautiful, mind sharing the picture of your treasure box?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Its better to store lenses in vertical position as I red some time ago - it was specifically to old Hassy lenses with shutter inside.

Nevertheles - there is some grease and other stuff that in really hot weather could spill/move - but very unlikely.

I store them vertically sometimes just on a shelf sometimes in a bag.

It really doesnt matter beside storing in dry moderately cool place - ie cupboard - could be in a bag - away from dust and moist - thatts most important.

I don't use them every day, probably just once every week. I know the basics like not putting them under direct sunlight or in high humidity, but I still want to know the details.

-right now I don't have a casing nor a bag (newly bought camera), and I just put them naked on the table beside my laptop but with no direct sunlight, is it okay?

-is it okay to put them beside my laptop? I'm just afraid my laptop can generate heat and electro magnetic fields that can damage the camera and lenses?

-should i put my camera standing (sensor facing sideways) or lying (sensor facing ceiling)? and how about the lens?

-when not using, should I always remove the lens and battery from the camera?

-should i always store my camera and lenses in a bag with a desiccant? and how often should I replace desiccant normally?

Again, my questions sound very noob... newbie here :D

Thanks all :)

Putting beside your laptop is fine. Just avoid the air vents. Heat and dust is best avoided.

Best place is the dry cabinet. Otherwise, leave it out in the open where there is air movement. You may want to cover it with a lint free cloth to keep dust away.

If you're going to store your camera for a long time, avoid leaving it in the bag. I had a lens left in one of my bag for over 5 years. Sure enough, the fungus got to it. The rest of my lenses which was left on the shelves were fine.

Now, everything's in the dry box or the shelves with a cloth over them.

• 2 weeks later...

as said by Aswald there's nothing to worry from the laptop EM emissions... if it is ok for you to spend all day working

on your PC why would it harm your lenses? :)

for the battery, in the manual it says that if you leave the battery out of the camera, or empty, for too long (probably some day),

you will loose the presets you applied to the camera and you will need to re-change all the options every time

so it's better to leave it in your camera

Hi guys I have a question, I keep my lenses on a shelf in my bedroom. The shelf has my PC speakers on it to, I'm concerned that the sound and bass may cause i don't know issues with the optics? I don't have my speakers on everyday perhaps once a week I'm at my desk. Should I move from the shelf and keep them in a Camera bag?  :D  :P

Just avoid the air vents”. Not completely true. The largest risk for your lenses is the built up fungus. Because of this I would never store my lenses in a wooden (microorganisms!) and/or air tight box.

I think a general camera bag is a good solution for storing your equipment. It’s free from dust and microorganisms, not air tight and still breathable. Then store at a relatively dry location.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I have a question, I keep my lenses on a shelf in my bedroom. The shelf has my PC speakers on it to, I'm concerned that the sound and bass may cause i don't know issues with the optics? I don't have my speakers on everyday perhaps once a week I'm at my desk. Should I move from the shelf and keep them in a Camera bag?  :D  :P

Vibrating lenses can jump off the shelf, but any damage from the sound waves are highly unlikely.

Source of my certainty: during the open air concert of Jean Michel Jarre in Moscow in 1997, the press pool was right under the bass speakers. And these were the most epic bass speakers I've ever seen! I saw cameras falling along with tripods, ears and noses of some photographers started bleeding… But the next day all our the gear was fine – both mine and my colleague's.