Zeiss touit 50mm macro focus performance

Elipe

Hello,
Does anyone have experience with the Zeiss Touit 50mm Macro?
There is not much updated information on how this lens performs with the most current cameras, X-T3 X-T4, the only thing I have found on the web are reviews from 3 or 4 years ago and they do not set the autofocus very well, especially at macro distances. I explain the use that I am going to give to this lens. I do underwater photography, my current macro system is an XT-3 with Fujinon 80mm macro. This setup is perfect for subjects between 1 and 10 centimeters, but I need a macro that allows me to photograph slightly bigger subjects, fish, moray eels, octopuses, etc. The option of moving away from the subject so that it enters the frame is not possible, since due to the inherent effects of photographing in the aquatic environment (loss of sharpness and contrast) it is necessary to be as close as possible to the subject, in order to minimize these effects. That is why I am looking for a shorter macro, which allows me, being relatively close, to photograph a larger subject.

Manual focus is not an option, as it adds one more difficulty, and subjects are often in motion.
On the other hand, the lens must be able to focus on subjects that are often camouflaged or with a busy background, sometimes in poor lighting.
And well, after this long summary of my needs, the question is if anyone has real experience with this lens at macro distances, especially with the X-T3 and X-T4, to know if it has improved in the autofocus section.
Thank you very much and greetings.
By the way, if someone is interested in the subject of underwater photo and video , do not hesitate to ask.
My Instagram: @wetdreamsphoto

Although the Touit-range is certainly not the best that Zeiss made over the years, the 50 macro is a very nice lens. To my knowledge the lens firmware hasn't been updated the past few years, so any improvement in AF comes from the camera. For stills the AF-C is adequate, but it's probably not the best video lens on a Fuji camera. Be aware that many tests you might read are likely done with the Sony mount version, so the AF performance is Sony and not Fuji-specific in these tests. I don't do underwater photography, so I can't tell the AF performance in that area.

15 hours ago, Elipe said:

Thanks for the insight, Herco. Just hoping that someone owned this lens and could give me updated info. 

I'll keep waiting. 

I have used the lens for a couple of months on an X-T2 and an X-H1. AF speed was like the 23/1.4 XF lens, but less noisy and slightly less hunting. Due to the longer macro range it could take a little bit more time from infinity to close-up, but once you're in that range its fine. Anyway, much faster than the Fuji 60/2.4. The guy who now uses the lens told me that it performs very similar on an X-Pro3 (compared to an X-H1). The X-Pro3 has a similar AF performance compared to the X-T3.

Upps, sorry I misunderstood you. 

It sounds quite promising, because in underwater macro you don't need to go to infinity. 

My only concern is the hunting in messy backgrounds. 

It could be nice to know how it compares with the fujinon 80mm macro, anyway your post is very helpful. 

Thank you very much.