What is your X-E3 wish list?

This has, no doubt, been asked many times before but what are your major new features wanted for an imaginary X-E3 theoretically showing up after the less imaginary X-Pro2?

For myself, it is enough to get a well-made rangefinder but I do hope the sensor has even more dynamic range. Good monitors and print aside, it is better to start with more bit depth than less.

It is probably too late to influence development less than two years out but you can still try.

Assuming this X-E3 would be a small-sized and EVF-only X-Pro2 lil' sister, which means the inclusion of current standards + new techs on sensor, processor, memory, shutter, etc.

I'd suggest on ergonomics:

- ISO dial on top plate instead of exposure compensation dial (which can be done through rear dial). -This should be a must not only in X-E3 but X-Pro2 and X100T succesor-

- a sort of built-in thumb rest to free the hotshoe (as previously commented)

- EVF size at least identical to X-T1 (+.8 magnification is desirable).

- Four D-pad fully customizable (AF point selection by default).

On functioning:

- More AF points. Quicker AF.

- Increase buffer memory or better memory management to speed up the camera.

- Play images on LCD by default in any case (play on EVF optional).

- Shutter speed at least of 1/8000 sec. (mechanical or electronically).

- Flash sync speed at least 1/250 sec.

- Info display on EVF and vertical orientation change as in the X-T1.

I think, all of this are feasible and are in the spirit of X-E - X-Pro line differencing.

Assuming this X-E3 would be a small-sized and EVF-only X-Pro2 lil' sister, which means the inclusion of current standards + new techs on sensor, processor, memory, shutter, etc.

I'd suggest on ergonomics:

- ISO dial on top plate instead of exposure compensation dial (which can be done through rear dial). -This should be a must not only in X-E3 but X-Pro2 and X100T succesor

I would not want to miss the exposure compensation dial there! I'd rather put the ISO selection on a Fn button.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

New sensor. Call it a day. The tilt screen would be nice. I remain unsure about the future of the X-E line, even though it's my strong preference among the Fuji cameras. It seems really hard to justify having an X-E3 and an X-T10 occupying the same place in the lineup except for EVF position. Of course, how Fuji introduces the next generation of sensors could change all that. A 24mp X-E3 could come out a few years before an X-T20...

A combo of the new features of X-Pro2 with the features already in X-T10 would be a great combo. These are my hope-for-features:

• Flippy-tilty screen.
  • Being able to review photos on the rear display by pressing the preview button, like I think the X-T1 and X-T10 can
  • X-Pro2's new sensor (assuming it gets one, but that seems likely), but not more than 24 MP.
  • Being able to control more features from the function buttons, like setting focal length when using adapted lenses.
  • More accurate focus peaking. Most of the time it just looks like everything is in focus.
  • Put the tripod mount away from the battery/memory card door. It's a pain to have to unscrew the quick release plate to switch batteries and cards.
  • A less useless phone/computer/camera communication setup. The WiFi feature is a joke.
  • Better ergonomics, a thumb grip is a must on the X-E2.

• 2 weeks later...

• X-Pro2's new sensor (assuming it gets one, but that seems likely), but not more than 24 MP.

just to say that the EXIF from leaked Magnum photos from Paris do appear to confirm that the X-Pro 2 has a 24MP sensor. Exactly which one isn't yet clear but I would guess the Sony one in the D7200 with the usual magical Fuji filter array. We'll see on jan 15th anyway (unless there is a delay for some reason) and it's all but certain that any X-E3 will use the same sensor.

If the X-E3 gets a tilt screen, hopefully it will be fully-articulating, like on the Panasonic GH4, Canon 60D. Failing that, the standard tilty-flippy screen would be preferable to a fixed screen like the X-E1, X-E2 have.

Either way, I would really appreciate a touchscreen, even thought the button-oriented Fuji menu is nice once you get used to it. 

Interested in an improved sensor, higher megapixel count. Minimum 24Mpxl, please.

Would really be interested in improvements in: shutter speed, fps, and buffer/memory and Autofocus performance (esp. tracking).

Video improvements would be very welcome. 4K, please? It would be nice if Video functionality was more than an afterthought. It's too bad that my smartphone seems easier to shoot video with.

Additionally, IBIS would be fantastic as it would give stabilization to any Manual lens. There are a few non-Fujinon Macro lenses that I'm keen on that would benefit.

hopefully it will be fully-articulating

I would prefer the standard tilt screen version! So it's a bit like an old waist-level finder (thus more "stealthy"). If it would be fully-articulating the camera size gets much more wider (at least 3") when using the screen like a waist-level finder. I think the screen from the X-A2 (but 180° down instead of up) would be a nice compromise. Or something crazy like on the Olympus PEN E-PL7: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/10/16/review-olympus-pen-e-pl7/

First of all, I bought the X-E2 because I liked the "rangefinder-like" feel and the "film-like" sensor. It also fits perfectly in my hand and suits my shooting style. As I used the camera and became familiar with it, it exceeded all of my expectations! Your suggestions of the XT-1 viewfinder, the floppy-tilty screen, and more phase-detector focussing detectors (like the Sony A-6000) would make me actually consider an upgrade. How about adding in-camera 5-axis shake reduction like the Sony and Olympus cameras.

Personally, I would rather have a 16 mp sensor with wider dynamic range, lower noise, and higher ISO than a 24 mp sensor with greater detail and the same specs as the X-E2. I was actually considering upgrading my Canon 7D body to handle action photos. Guess I'll put that on the back burner. There are some spectacular X-T1 action shots in other topics.

Some of the firmware enhancements I would like:

- Separate selectable focus points for horizontal and vertical orientation.

- Flash exposure compensation on the quick menu.

- Combine facial focussing on the same menu item as the other focussing modes.

- Optionally create separate file folders based on the date taken.

- Increase the bracketing range to +/- 3 stops for HDR photography.

- Electronic high-speed shutter.

I would prefer the standard tilt screen version! So it's a bit like an old waist-level finder (thus more "stealthy"). If it would be fully-articulating the camera size gets much more wider (at least 3") when using the screen like a waist-level finder. I think the screen from the X-A2 (but 180° down instead of up) would be a nice compromise. Or something crazy like on the Olympus PEN E-PL7: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/10/16/review-olympus-pen-e-pl7/

I can see the "waist-level" appeal of a standard flippy-tilty finder. I'm sure lots using the cams for street photography could too.

In my dreams where I never dream of a T2 the E3 has the same backlit sensor technology as the Sony A7rII. The pixel density would make about 18MP on the APS-C format but the technology gives ISO up to 25,600 which would be the important part for me. And if they can make the autofocus to handle such low light with good speed and accuracy it would be perfect.

Really nice to haves would be

- Tilt screen

- Ability to shoot single pictures in CL and may be even CH

- ISO dial, although I would not like to sacrify the exposure compensation dial like some have proposed

Maybe I would use the customer settings if they wouldn't include mainly JPEG functions. It would be ok if settings from the dials would be overwritten like aperture or shutter speed, but then I would need a very big LED on the top or on the rear to remind me that the manual duals are out of order. A perfect solution of course would be if the dials would change their settings according to the customer setting. But I don't think anyone including myself would want to pay this, money wise and from the additional size and weight. The various auto focus settings of FW 4.0 of the T1 also would be good candidates for custmer settings.

But I know it is just a deeam. So I will continue to use my E1 and T1 without regrets and will patiently wait what Santa Fuji brings us in the next years.

Tilt Screen or Fully Articulating LCD.  Built in Geo-tagging or an add on unit like the Pentax & Canon to slip in the hotshoe. Exposure Comp Dial to Remain on the top. Film Simulation Bracketing of 2,3,4,5,6,7 shots at once. As well as Exp Bracketing of 2,3,4,5,6,7.  A better EVF. I do not need an iso separate dial.  All FN buttons fully customizable. Weatherproofed.

• 2 weeks later...

1-Same controls layout as X-E2

2-But expand what can be assigned to Fn buttons.  Could start with flash compensation

3-Same sensor as x-Pro2

4-Expand what can be assigned to custom settings in Q-menu

5-Exposure bracketing expanded optionally to +/- 2 stops

6-Continue to improve speed and focus tracking for continuous shooting.  Further reduce the time the EVF freezes--this is very important because even a very quick freeze is psychologically confusing when tracking irregular motion.

Since we are talking about the X-E3, not the existing X-E2s coming in January (which from all the rumors, appears to not be all that different from the X-E2):

1. Faster thoroughput of the sensor (The X-PRO2 reveal will . This would improve significant functionality in the camera such as continuous drive, video, evf quality/ refresh, and evf focus magnification during manual mode. If we could get the thoroughput in this camera on the order of something like the panny GH4, it would take this camera to a wider level. 

2. I second an earlier post in the need for improving the accuracy of the in-focus edge highlighting. It needs to be more discerning in larger apertures. I find that I need to half-press the shutter to get out of it and confirm focus at times.

3. The on/off switch and shutter need a rethink. The switch is a little too small and mushy. The shutter is pretty good, but i'd prefer more positive feedback at the end.

4. The grip is terrible. I don't know if you can fix it much out of the box. I have a hunch that the camera is made this way to not scare off consumers and that Fuji always plans to have a add-on grip for those who really use the camera.

5. Battery. I don't think it's worth the energy (hah) to really go on further with this one however, since they continue to use the same one in newer cameras. So maybe the design specs of the XPRO3/XT2/XE4 should include this.

6. Bigger EVF, it's somewhat cramped for manual mode. Much more important than increasing resolution.