Fujis for Event Photography

GoodPhotos

I've mostly been a dedicated Architectural/Real Estate Photographer for a couple of years now, but as I have been since 2011, I am still the official photographer for TEDxDirigo here in Maine. The last TEDx event I shot I was still using a full on Nikon kit and this weekend was the first workout that I've really had with just my Fujis.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/treehouseinstitute/sets/72157660955782332/

I'm very happy over all. I used the older X-E1 with the 35/1.4 or 10-24/4 and played with the 56/1.2 for shots in the crowd. Most of the speakers images were made with the X-T1 and the 55-200/3.5-4.8. The wider stage shots were made with the 10-24/4 on the X-E1 and they aren't quite up to the same low light standards of the newer X-T1 of course.

As it doesn't look like an X-E3 with a flip LCD is forthcoming anytime soon and as I found the 55-200 too long (at the wide end) for this venue but essential to get in tighter, I may end up getting an X-E2 (I really prefer this form of a camera even to my X-T1) and pick up the more convenient 18-135/3.5-5.6.

Most of the time I am shooting between f/5.6 and f/8 for stage work of this sort of event so I don't NEED fast glass in a zoom and 135mm is long enough for most any stage work I've ever done but would also allow me to go wider when I need to quickly, without changing bodies.

Getting the 18-135 would likely make the 55-200 redundant (and the 18-135 is weather sealed.) I may be able to pay for the new lens with the older one.

Hello, my first post to this forum. I'm no way professional, just a hobbyist :)

I've followed a similar path: switched from Nikon FX to Fuji when XT-1 was released. I mainly shoot events now, weddings and other parties. Just coping with one body for now, but could really use a second one (XE2, XT-10 or maybe some new release..). I shoot guest mainly with 23mm, speakers with 56mm. Usually 18-135mm is too dark for me, despite the excellent OS. When I bought the system I thought it would be the main lens for me (used to use 70-200mm f4 with Nikon), but f1.4 is nicer for me and finally I can nail the focus (never could with FX gear). For now I'm happy with the 23mm and 52mm, thought about switching to 50-140mm, but cropped f1.2 gets me good results. For the reach I've thought about adapted 180mm AI-S f2.8 from Nikon, but for now I've managed to sneak in closer.

The Fuji system is pretty much useless in dark when shooting moving targets (i.e. guest walking in / hand shaking), have to pre-focus for that. Dancing shots are more difficult, but can be managed. However in church I've managed to get good focus when bride walks in, better than D700 and 50mm f1.4. Usually use the 23mm for that because of the faster focus. 

Overall I'm happy with the system. Colors are amazing and focusing on still targets with large aperture is easier.