10-24 or 16mm f/1.4

Vento

I own the 12mm Samyang, and owned the 14mm and 10-24. 

The 10-24 is good, I'd call it one of the better super wides (probably even the best mirrorless ultra wide zoom). But I preferred the 14mm. By a huge margin. The only reason, why I went for the 12mm Rokinon/Samyang was, that it is faster, and overall better for astro photography.

But if astro is not important, I would go for the 14mm without even thinking about it. It's (for me) the best of them. 

I have the 10-24 and i wish it was a 2.8, even without ois. For landscape/astro and concert photography alike ois doesn't help much, i want to use faster shutter speeds, not slower! I'm always considering selling mine for a 12/2.8, 12/2 or 16/1.4. FWIW i still have the 10-24, so it's at least not worth the hassle of switching. If it was a 2.8 we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If I had been asked this question a month ago, I would have said buy the 10-24mm for the OIS and versatility. Last week I got the 16mm and my 10-24mm is already on eBay. That's not to say it was a bad lens, but the 16mm is simply that good. And given how low you can get the shutter speed on wider lenses and still get a quality image without the need for OIS, you don't really lose a whole lot by going with the 16mm if you have somewhat steady hands. Will I miss the 10-24mm every now and then while traveling? Yes. However, even if I didn't sell it I would be missing it in those situations because even for travel the 16mm took its place in my bag almost immediately. I was shooting most of my 10-24mm images at 10mm or 24mm, but my favorite images were almost exclusively coming from the 24mm side of that range, followed by the random shots that I would take in the middle from 15-19mm. Considering that I already have the 23mm, the choice to sell the 10-24mm was easy once I got the 16mm. That being said, if you don't have any lenses in the 10-24mm range except maybe the bottom end of one of your zooms and you've discovered that you like to shoot wide, I wouldn't necessarily try to talk you out of the 10-24mm because there is a big difference between the ultra-wide and wide ends of it and the cost of 2 Fuji primes (unless you go with the Samyang/Rokinon for one) to cover that is much larger.

I think it’s a good idea to read the complete Lenstip review instead of only looking at these two MTF plots.

There is also another interesting comparison at: http://www.fujivsfuji.com/10-24mm-f4-vs-primes/

Have fun!

Looking at this review,  and considering what I shoot,  the 10-24 is a no-brainer.  Being able to carry one lens that's a nice overlap with the 18-135,  fits my need.   Yes, some of the primes have better optical performance (as they well should)  but you can't cover the range, and you can't always move a mountain or building to fit your prime WA lens... :D

For architecture however..   the best of the primes are probably the better choice, for the corner sharpness. 

• 4 months later...

Another night shot with 16mm f1.4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to agree with TedGamble on this one. The 10-24 is nice because you have more creative options to play with, and it's sharp enough. Once you get away from the super-wides, then I prefer the better IQ of the primes. '-) 

Hope that helps. '-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by erk1024