Manual focus failure during timelapse

andrewv8

Hey guys,

Noticing an odd problem.  When doing time-lapses with the X-T10 I've noticed that the camera shuts off to conserve power given an interval of 1 minute or longer.  I've been trying to focus the camera and use it in manual mode but when the camera shuts off in between shots the lens collapses and then doesn't refocus because it's in manual focus mode.  Anyone know how to get around this?

Also, still looking for a good time lapse software, if you have any recs.

Andrew

Hey guys,

Noticing an odd problem.  When doing time-lapses with the X-T10 I've noticed that the camera shuts off to conserve power given an interval of 1 minute or longer.  I've been trying to focus the camera and use it in manual mode but when the camera shuts off in between shots the lens collapses and then doesn't refocus because it's in manual focus mode.  Anyone know how to get around this?

Also, still looking for a good time lapse software, if you have any recs.

Andrew

What lens are you using?

Not a X-T10 user, but are you getting manual exposure and manual focussing confused? If you have the lens auto focus - in whatever mode OFF - and are in manual focus, the lens will not refocus. This is what I uses for my time lapses of a Bay for instance. I don't want the autofocus to lock onto and refocus on a passing yacht, ship, seagull, or something else.

And surely you can alter the auto shut off period, ie increase the time before the camera automatically shuts off?

Sorry, It's the 18mm (28ish FOV), and 35mm (50mm FOV).  I'm not confusing MF and manual exposure.  These lenses collapse down to their shortest length when the camera powers down for travel.  This is a problem when the camera is in MF mode during time lapse because the lens doesn't refocus for the second shot.

• 5 weeks later...