andrewv8

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to choose a tripod.  I'm interested in something small that I can tote around with me.  I've narrowed it down to the mefoto backpacker and the Sirui t-005x. Just wondering if anyone has experience with both and can offer some insight into which is better.  I realize these are not full tripods but if I don't carry it, I cant use it so portability is issue #1 for me.  That said I want the tripod to be stable because well... if its not stable there was no point in toting it around anyway.  

Anyhow... all insights appreciated!  Thanks guys!

Andrew

X-T10 + 28mm f/2.0 + 35mm f/1.4

X100s

If portability is the main thing, I'd go for a table top tripod. But that's just me, I have a solid but certainly not small Gitzo (which I personally find still very portable as long as I use a daypack/backpack and not a shoulder bag) and a tiny but super portable table top tripod. Something in the middle just wouldn't do it for me. 

The question is, what do you want to do with it? I found that the tiny tripod was a bit weird in the beginning, but then got me into all kinds of really cool perspectives which I hadn't tried before. Lots of fun and super useful.

Otherwise, the Mefoto Backpacker feels fairly okay for what it is. I had one, wasn't my thing though, it wasn't that much lighter than my carbon fiber Gitzo is now, just smaller and a lot less stable.

The Big Brown truck will be here later today with my Sirui T-005X, so I can let you know after the weekend.  I pulled the trigger due to all the good reviews it gets and the light weight and portability.  The reviews say it is stable, that is my concern as well.  I believed them enough to go for it - I will know for sure later today.  It goes to a maximum of 54" so for me at 64" tall I believe it will be just tall enough to work like a full tripod.

stable tripod are of course not always compatible. More so in the open air.

There are aprons or bags to bring with you and actually fill with something that you find around like rocks or sand or water to make the sturdiness of your tripod better and use a lightweight tripod even in the wind (one of the causes of accidents smashing a camera with force to the ground!)

I have three tripods and a monopod.

A small Gorillapod clone ( costed peanuts, I added a linhof ball head that I had and modified it with a Chinese made arca swiss quick system), not very sturdy but at a pinch, very useful.

A small but sturdy aluminum ancient Manfrotto 190 SHB with a Beike Arca Swiss compatible ball head ( I bought this at least 15 years ago, not carbon and very small, I use it everywhere)

A rather large sold by Hama but made by Berlebach wooden ( ash) tripod with a pivoting, ball articulated, column and an Chinese made Arca Swiss compatible head ( this configuration needs no ball head). This is rather heavy but it would place your camera at 2,5 m from the ground and still be very sturdy.

I have used this tripod with my 8” x 10” Tachihara and many 4" x 5“ and it worked perfectly.

I even had a much heavier Fatif and Cambo tripods which I only used in the studio.

DSCF2079.jpg

The Sirui is very accommodating. A great match for Fuji. Hang your backpack/camera bag from the hook to help stabilize.

The T005X doesn't have a hook it has a ring and a beaner (which to me is less desirable).  Do you ever worry about breaking the tripod hanging a bag thats too heavy?

The Sirui is very accommodating. A great match for Fuji. Hang your backpack/camera bag from the hook to help stabilize.

OK, the Big Brown truck arrived so I got a chance to break the T005X out.  First impression is that it is well built.  I like the design and I believe it will be perfect for what I want.  It is light so in a strong wind hanging the bag on the carabiner is likely a good idea.  So far I am impressed and look forward to using it this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Inside will be a little bit of a problem. I really like the ThinkTank Perception Pro backpack, I haven't bought yet one though, only looked at them in the store as I mostly run around with my The North Face daypack with camera gear in separate pouches inside and my Gitzo tripod strapped to the outside. 

Here's a link to the ThinkTank:

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/perception-series-backpacks/products/perception-pro-backpack?variant=1235272703

They do have a cool system for carrying tripods on the outside. Carrying a larger tripod inside a bag will be a problem. You'd likely need a very compact travel tripod and a rather large backpack to carry camera gear AND tripod inside. There are quite some combinations that will fit, but I can only recommend going to a camera store and trying it out. The store here in the area has no problem with me trying out bags and seeing what fits as I sometimes buy gear from them. I buy about 30% of my photo gear locally, therefore I'm a known customer in that store.

For me personally tripods are a logistics challenge as I want all my gear to be small and to fit in a small bag - doesn't work with a largish tripod, therefore my solution above.