Mitakon, Metabones, Roxsen, Camdiox, focal reducers, share your experiences.

milandro

• 1 year later...

hi guys

I bought a m42 speed booster from ebay. this one here ;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262473023050?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I paired it with a helios 44-2 and a cosinon 55/1.4

At wide apertures, it is incredibly hazy and washed out It works ok from f/4 onwards.

I'd basically say it's a waste of money. When I put the lenses on the camera with a simple adapter, the lenses jump to life and for example the cosinon which was basically unusable on the speed booster is actually really good at f/1.x

So, is there any way to get these lenses speed boosted with decent quality on the X mount? I was thinking maybe getting a nikon or canon speed booster from metabones and then using an adapter to get it connected to that speed booster.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

cheers

Zhongyi LensTurbo II m42 w/ Helios 44-2.  I have three copies of the Helios. one was NOS, but the helicoid is all dried up.  I need to research how to repair this myself, I recall some vids out there.  any one have success?

I sent away a Jupiter 8 to get professionally done and it's exquisite, but I think I am over spending more money to service a lens that what I paid for the lens  <_< 

Edited by r_kt

Zhongyi LensTurbo II m42 w/ Helios 44-2.  I have three copies of the Helios. one was NOS, but the helicoid is all dried up.  I need to research how to repair this myself, I recall some vids out there.  any one have success?

I sent away a Jupiter 8 to get professionally done and it's exquisite, but I think I am over spending more money to service a lens that what I paid for the lens  <_< 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtjL20VhUKWrntdWe6TVxGw

This guy. I used his videos to help me repair a Jupiter 9 lens that I picked up cheap. I've also purchased several lenses from his eBay shop and have been very happy with them.

sometimes the grease is simply too cold and slowly warming up the lens will loosen it.

Although opening ( and closing!) the focussing barrel of a lens like this is not rocket science,  a you can see from the videos, it is not THAT easy.

If you aren’t technically inclined it maybe be a challenge. Since you need an adapter anyway, you may use one with an helicoid and use it INSTEAD of the helios focussing helicoid.

The cost of one of these adapters ( and you need an adapter anyway)  will be certainly less than sending the lens to have it cleaned ( about $25).

51FNsuG4e%2BL.jpg

Edited by milandro

• 4 weeks later...

I personally am very happy with the Zhongyi lens turbo II because they are a well known brand and made well, don’t have the hot spot in the center and perform very well.

The RJ Brand speed booster might be made by the same production line but it is an unknown quantity. I have seen some tests which suggest that they are good.

You can find these Zhongyi lens turbo II for $149 or less on Ebay.. They cost €229 in shops in the NL.

I have bought two (one M42 to FX and a Canon EF to FX) currently I have only the second because I decided to use M42 lenses without any focal reducer while using the Canon on my Petzval 85mm.

Where are you going to buy them for €100? 

I personally am very happy with the Zhongyi lens turbo II because they are a well known brand and made well, don’t have the hot spot in the center and perform very well.

The RJ Brand speed booster might be made by the same production line but it is an unknown quantity. I have seen some tests which suggest that they are good.

You can find these Zhongyi lens turbo II for $149 or less on Ebay.. They cost €229 in shops in the NL.

I have bought two (one M42 to FX and a Canon EF to FX) currently I have only the second because I decided to use M42 lenses without any focal reducer while using the Canon on my Petzval 85mm.

Where are you going to buy them for €100? 

Im going to buy on ebay.

The problem with Zhongyi is that they don't have Canon FD adapter, only EF, Nikon and M42 - so none of them will fit my lenses.

For FD on ebay there are only this "RJ", Metabones and no-names (you are right, most probably the same as "RJ")...

And Metabones is TOO expensive

Anyway, will post some tests afterwards. Thank you for help

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I use the Camdiox EOS-Fuji X one and then use various adaptor rings that I've had since my Canon days. I haven't had any major issues with it yet. It does sometimes have the blue dot effect if you point it directly at a strong light source but that's not something I tend to do very often anyway. 

I have some example shots below that I've taken with an X-T1 and various lenses.

http://www.altphotography.com/park-life/

• 7 months later...

Use the Metabones SPeedbooster Ultra with aperture ring for Nikon G and the Zhongyi M42 Lens turbo II. Have most of the fast old nikkor primes and a lot of great M42 lenses. The Zhongyi surprised me in good way. It rockks with the Helios 58/2, Fujinon 100mm f2.8 EBC and the Carl Zeiss 180mm f2.8 Sonnar. The Metabones SPeedbooster Ultra is just a tad sharper. But be carefull with using long telephoto lenses on the Metabones. My 400mm f3.5 Nikkor vignettes like crazy on the Metabones. The Metabones makes some of my old nikkor primes render nicer and sharper than on my Nikon Df: especially the 20/f4 ai, 35/1.4 ais, 55/1.2 pre-Ai, 85/1.4 ais, 105/2.5 ais, 105/1.8 ais, 180/2.8 ais and 200mm Nikkor Q f4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...