Kit of lenses for all-rounder enthousiast

Antoine B

Hello, 

I know a choice of lenses is a very personal question, but I am hesitating so much that I thought I would ask the question here.

I am a weekend shooter, using today a X100s with the two converters, for landscape and my family in context (out, indoor, etc), or whatever I am visiting or wandering by (street, night, whatever I like). So pretty polyvalent and not very skilled in photography. But definitely enthousiast !

Anyway, the X100s is a great camera, but the converters can be a bit annoying (slow focus, distortion if you forget to change the settings...). so I'd like to complement the X100s (maybe sell the converters) with a X-T1 or X-E2 (I love the EVF to be on the left side, not centered) plus lenses.

However, I am struggling to choose a set of lenses and can't afford (time and money) to try everything.

By the way, the objective is not to bring everything together at the same time, but to have a good polyvalent set to chose from when grabbing the camera.

Option 1: 

10-24mm + 18-135mm + one or two fast primes for dark times (I'd love to try the 35 f1.4 or the 56mm)

I love wide shots and the 18-135 seems a nice swiss knife for times outside with little chance to change lenses.

Option 2: 

16-55 f2.8 + 55-200mm for the times were longer is better :-)

Not sure if the 16-55 can be polyvalent to the point it makes fast primes irrelevant... I love bokeh, so maybe not...

Or any other option?

The 14mm has an excellent reputation, the 18-55mm seems also a good deal (maybe too short to be really useful though)

The 23mm is not really necessary as the X100s already includes a wonderful 23mm lens and I plan to keep it.

Any comment or experience from similar users would be helpful !

Cheers

Antoine

The kit I'm building is 14, 35, 60, (chose this over the 56, but might upgrade it later) with the 100s filling in the 23mm mark.  I have all but the 14 (and 100s) right now.  I'll hold on to my 18-55 and 55-200 for when I want versatility (although I'd like to exchange the 18-55 for the 16-55, and the 55-200 for the 50-140).

I'm not a zoom person, so, if you can live with two different X bodies, I'd use:

• XF14 (wide and small) OR XF16 (a bit more user friendly focal length but large),
  • X100 series for 23mm + TCL for 50mm equivalent,
  • and XF56 (very fast and great for indoors) OR XF90 (slightly less fast, larger, great for outdoors or large and very bright indoor locations).

That being said, lenses and use is a very personal thing, I like to use a single body only when I'm out shooting and are not in a hurry. That means I use combinations like X100T + TCL in the bag (the WCL isn't worth it for me) or X-T1 with 23 mounted and XF56 in the bag. Or X-T1 with just the XF35 mounted and nothing else. Or ... you name it. Endless combinations, but again, I never carry more than two lenses unless I'm on a longer vacation, then it's three.

When I bought my X-Pro1, I was delighted that the first lenses released made a classic photojournalist's kit (18, 35 & 60mm). While I use zooms a lot on my dSLR, primes seemed to match the rangefinder-style shooting that the X-Pro1 fosters so well (both eyes open, prefocus or zone, etc.) Three and a half years later, my initial opinion still holds. I added the 14mm which is brilliant, significantly wider than the 18mm, and very crisp. Recently, I added the Samyang 8mm fisheye, which is a delight. At the moment, this kit serves me very well and I have zero gear-lust. 

I have a Metabones Speed Booster and adapter which I use on occasion, mostly with an AI-S f/1.8 105mm Nikkor. It works great but adds a lot of weight to the bag. No point in most of the other Nikon lenses since they are generally redundant, and the Fujinons primes are excellent, light and autofocus. I have tested my 200mm and 600mm, but both are heavy, clumsy and not easily focused. I have also tested my 28mm PC-Nikkor shift-lens that works fine, but I have never used it on a shoot. Nice to be able to draw upon these lenses if the occasion arises, but they are not going to be frequently used.

I am building myself the 10-24 and 18-135 combo, those lenses are rather bulky and not very good when you hit low light situations, hence I got the 35 F1.4 and added the 27mm F2.8 when I want a small carry around version of my camera.

The 16-55 is stellar in performances but it's huge, head to Fuji vs Fuji for a comparison.

As I have never tried nor touched the 55-200 I really can not say anything about it. Aside from the test shots I have seen, it's an XF lens. Meaning, it's good at what it does and IQ is there, just don't go and compare it to sharpness monsters like the 55-140 F2.8 or the 90mm F2.

The setup I would use for landscape is clearly 10-24 and 18-135 for when you are outside in day with your family. The X100s can be kept for either indoors shooting or just simple walk around camera.

Also, if you like the ultra wide angle, Rokinon 12mm is very well loved in this forum and for good reasons, we have a thread dedicated to it about here.

Thanks to all of you for these interesting feedbacks.

I think for flexibility outside the 18-135 will be quite useful indeed => that one make it to the short list

For the wide side, I'll probably have to test the 12mm, 14mm and 10-24mm to make a decision.

As for the dark side, I already have the X100s with the TCL, so maybe only the 56mm would be enough.

Cheers!!

The lens kit is often a reflection of many and different needs and a few prejudices too. After a while one finds out that some lenses are use all the time and others are hardly ever used.

I used to have 8mm samyang fisheye, 10-24, 35, 60, 50-230

after 1,5 year with this kit I did find that I hardly ever used the 10-24 at anything else than 10mm and for that reason decided to sell it because I could still get a good sum of money for it. I also decided to do the same with the 35mm because although I loved it and used it much, it was evident to me that I didn’t use it nearly as much at 1.4 as most people do and that this lens was going to have, sooner or later, some sort of remake.

So I reformed my kit this way

8mm fisheye, 12mm Samyang, 18-55mm, 60mm, 50-230mm.

Selling the 10-24 and the 35mm gave me a differential amount of money which I’ve set aside for the possible upgrade of body or lenses along the way.

I could, at a pinch, pack the camera and two lenses 18-55 and 50-230 and go for a trip traveling light, if I had to add something else then the 12mm would go with it to shoot all super wide situations.

The 8mm and the 60mm are not, strictly speaking, indispensable nor would the 35mm be if I ever decide to buy the 35mm f2 (or anything else which Fuji hasn’t yet released such as a new 35 f1.4).

I don’t care for WR lenses though. If I would then the 18-135 would be a great all purpose lens, despite its size and cost. I wouldn’t worry too much about the light efficiency of the lens since one of the strongest point of the Fuji system is the great quality at high ISO.

I have the 10-24 and 18-135. Great travel combo (which to me means being ready for a little bit of everything), especially with the WR on the 18-135. However, what is probably my favorite travel and general in my bag combo is the 10-24, 35, and either 55-200 or 50-140. The choice for the longer side depends entirely on location (or budget if you're buying them).

The lens kit is often a reflection of many and different needs and a few prejudices too. After a while one finds out that some lenses are use all the time and others are hardly ever used.

I used to have 8mm samyang fisheye, 10-24, 35, 60, 50-230

after 1,5 year with this kit I did find that I hardly ever used the 10-24 at anything else than 10mm and for that reason decided to sell it because I could still get a good sum of money for it. I also decided to do the same with the 35mm because although I loved it and used it much, it was evident to me that I didn’t use it nearly as much at 1.4 as most people do and that this lens was going to have, sooner or later, some sort of remake.

So I reformed my kit this way

8mm fisheye, 12mm Samyang, 18-55mm, 60mm, 50-230mm.

Selling the 10-24 and the 35mm gave me a differential amount of money which I’ve set aside for the possible upgrade of body or lenses along the way.

I could, at a pinch, pack the camera and two lenses 18-55 and 50-230 and go for a trip traveling light, if I had to add something else then the 12mm would go with it to shoot all super wide situations.

The 8mm and the 60mm are not, strictly speaking, indispensable nor would the 35mm be if I ever decide to buy the 35mm f2 (or anything else which Fuji hasn’t yet released such as a new 35 f1.4).

I don’t care for WR lenses though. If I would then the 18-135 would be a great all purpose lens, despite its size and cost. I wouldn’t worry too much about the light efficiency of the lens since one of the strongest point of the Fuji system is the great quality at high ISO.

Thanks Milandro for this feedback.

You make an interesting point regarding the 10-24mm: this lens purpose is really at the widest focal lengths, which means the zoom aspect is less important. The 14mm of 12mm then become quite handy (lighter and brighter, although without OIS).

The 12mm f2 is really a spectacular lens and not only “ for the money”. The lack of autofocus or OIS is really, only, a theoretical limitation. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Please keep in mind that no photography is truly "polyvalent". Everyone has a preferred style and genre. For example, you mentioned nothing about macro or architectural, but then you did mention things about shooting family, landscape, and street photography. Ask yourself what it is that is really important to you.

Everything you buy is a compromise, the question is where you want to compromise. Zooms compromise on compactness and portability, which are disadvantages for street photography. Keep in mind that your enthusiasm for Fuji may have been fostered by the compactness of the amazing X100T, and its versatile discreteness, making it a great camera to take with you when you travel with your family. 

Will you feel the same way about your kit when you have cumbersome zoom lenses on them? You may end up killing your dream by imaging that if you spent big money on elephantine and expensive zooms that it will increase the amount of joy you get from your system. Or else you might find yourself tending to still just grab your trusted X100T, and you increasingly find that you leave your heavy zooms sitting at home after the honeymoon period is over because they are too much of a pain to carry with you. Will people (especially your family) run away when you point some fat paparazzi zoom lens in their faces? If that is the case, then discreet primes with their superior IQ and speed may be far preferable. 

Keep in mind that it is easy to carry a X100T for a 35mm FF view inside a modest camera bag alongside a X-T1 with a 35mm XF f1.4 lens, or even a 56mm XF f1.2 on it, switching between the two to get different views (plus it gives you two batteries and memory cards). 

Please keep in mind that no photography is truly "polyvalent". Everyone has a preferred style and genre. For example, you mentioned nothing about macro or architectural, but then you did mention things about shooting family, landscape, and street photography. Ask yourself what it is that is really important to you.

Everything you buy is a compromise, the question is where you want to compromise. Zooms compromise on compactness and portability, which are disadvantages for street photography. Keep in mind that your enthusiasm for Fuji may have been fostered by the compactness of the amazing X100T, and its versatile discreteness, making it a great camera to take with you when you travel with your family. 

Will you feel the same way about your kit when you have cumbersome zoom lenses on them? You may end up killing your dream by imaging that if you spent big money on elephantine and expensive zooms that it will increase the amount of joy you get from your system. Or else you might find yourself tending to still just grab your trusted X100T, and you increasingly find that you leave your heavy zooms sitting at home after the honeymoon period is over because they are too much of a pain to carry with you. Will people (especially your family) run away when you point some fat paparazzi zoom lens in their faces? If that is the case, then discreet primes with their superior IQ and speed may be far preferable. 

Keep in mind that it is easy to carry a X100T for a 35mm FF view inside a modest camera bag alongside a X-T1 with a 35mm XF f1.4 lens, or even a 56mm XF f1.2 on it, switching between the two to get different views (plus it gives you two batteries and memory cards). 

That's exactly what I mean by asking openly other people's experience. There are several ways to build a set of  lenses so that I can pick-up something that matches the needs for that day. 

So yes big zooms are not so nice for street    :-) 

I am not looking for a swiss-knife all-in-one lens, and I don't plan to carry the whole set all the time with me. As for macro and architecture, I don't really do any such photography (just the occasional shot, when something shows up).

I think the thread so far has been quite fruitful (at least for me), although I still need a little bit of research and trials.

cheers

The way things change....

When I started taking pictures with my first 35mm camera ( my own first camera, would you believe it, was the now re-born 6 x 6 cm Diana Flash) a Zenith E bought as a teen-ager, with my own savings, then, for the great majority of photo aficionados having an affordable kit meant having three lenses. Mine was a 29mm ( 29!?) Pentacon 2.8, the “ standard” Helios 58mm f2, and an Avanar 135 f 2.8. 

Zooms were too expensive.

I shoot 80% on the 23mm (X100T) and 56 1.2 (APD version). Those 2 deserve to be in any bag frankly I feel. If you add the TCL for the X100 and maybe one more wide angle, you've already got lots of bases covered. I own the 50-140 too, but I used it only twice so far this year... Too heavy for most uses. I tend to advise against picking up too many lenses, but you are free to do whatever you please of course :)

I recently took a trip to Boston and Maine. It was my first outing with the 10-24. I also took the 27 and the 18-135. Prior to the trip I was expecting that I would be using the 18-135 for 80% of my shots because of it's large zoom range (and good image quality). Boy was I wrong! I took over 75% of the shots with the 10-24. I only used the 18-135 for longer reach. The shot stats showed that the larger percentage of my shots were in the 14-24 range (21-35 equivalent), but oddly enough, the single most focal length used at 10 (15 equivalent). I had lots at the 24 (35 equivalent) length, but that's understandable because I simply chose to use the lens that was on the camera (10-24) at it's longest length instead of swapping out to the 18-135 for maybe only a little more reach.

The 10-24 is a truly outstanding lens, and so is the 18-135. One thing that seems to hold true regardless. Pick a lens, stick with it, and learn to "see the world" through the eyes of that lens. You'll worry less about "which lens do I need for this shot" and enjoy your trip more.  If I was taking a trip today and could take only one lens, it would be the 18-135 simply because it has more range than the 10-24. However, when I take both lenses, the 10-24 is the one on the camera when I start out, and then I only switch to the 18-135 when I need the extra reach.

Here's a link to my flickr album of the shots: https://www.flickr.c...157658417469231

I think it really depends on what styles you like to shoot.

My lens collections is currently

18mm

27mm

35mm

60mm

90mm

10-24mm

18-135mm

I have previously owned the 8-55mm and 55-200mm

I agree with milandro that for me the 10-24mm is a lens that I am constantly considering selling. I don't shoot landscape my main style is street and I much prefer the 18mm for that for two reasons, one I like its rendering better than the 10-24mm and I like the fact that I can fit in the 35mm in the same space in my bag.

However I ski and in the mountains the 10-24 is majestic, although how many pictures of mountains can you take. The final thing holding me back from selling is that I am still holding out hope for decent video in the X-T2 and for the type of filming I will be using it for a wide angle is a neccesity (tight spaces)

So I have my perfect street/portrait  set up 18/35/90 along with the 18-135mm for travel 

I am currently trying to decide on whether to sell the 10-24mm or the 27 and 60mm

I don't have to sell any of them they are bought and paid for, I have got some great ebay deals over the last year especially on the older primes which are by the way fabulous.

Its just I am not sure I can justify 7 lens, I just don't use that many. Thats the problem with Fuji lens every time I think about selling one I take it out for a last hurrah and then take a great shot and go, hell no am I selling that bad boy.

G

So many people and so many different needs.

Each one of us has a different story and most probably the only thing we have in common is the camera system that we use, but even then the way we use it is a reflection of all the differences , so even owning the same set of lenses, in depth observation would show that we use it in a different way.

The reason for me to sell the 10-24 and the 35 was that although I did use both of them, I used the 10-24 almost only at 10mm , so I decided to replace that with a cheaper Samyang 12mm after I convinced myself that the lens wouldn’t have performed much worse that the 10-24 had done.

Losing the autofocus was not an issue for me.

Of course I realized that I did have a major gap to fill and bought an incredibly cheap 18-55 as part of a kit with a NEW X-E1. After that I sold the X-E1 and was left with a great lens for which I had paid peanuts. But now I had 6 lenses.

For practical reasons I don’t want to cary around more than 5 lenses and one camera body, even though I have an extra large bag. I truly hate stacking things in two layers in a bag. But that’s me.

So I thought that I could, at least temporarily do without the 35 f1.4 and see how it goes. I had bought that lens in a kit too and sold it pretty much for the amount of money that I paid for it.

In case I would think, that I need that lens I can always buy it it later on.

So, with what I have now ( 8mm, 12mm, 18-55mm, 60mm, 50-230mm ) I am pretty much set. I also have a tilt adapter and maybe will buy a lens turbo adapter too for a number of M42 lenses.

I could go on the rampage and buy lots of things, but this is an hobby. Even what I was a professional, for more than 25 years, I had many systems from 35mm to 8” x 10” but still I tried to have a reason for everything I had other than hoarding.

Thanks to all of you for these interesting feedbacks.

I think for flexibility outside the 18-135 will be quite useful indeed => that one make it to the short list

For the wide side, I'll probably have to test the 12mm, 14mm and 10-24mm to make a decision.

As for the dark side, I already have the X100s with the TCL, so maybe only the 56mm would be enough.

Cheers!!

This does not seem a bad decision to me.

As a general rule I never take more than 2 lenses with me, and have found that outdoors the 10-24 and 18-135 are an excellent combination.  Both get a lot of use, and throughout their ranges.

Indoors / low light I tend to choose 2 from the 23, 35, 56, and 90.  But if I was forced to reduce the number of lenses I could lose the 35 and, if someone held a gun to my head, the 90 (which is a fantastic lens but for me a bit of an indulgence).

So my cut down lens collection that my experience shows I would be very happy with is the 10-24, 18-135, 23 and 56 (although I would cry at night thinking about the 90).  Swap the 23 for the x100s and we have arrived at pretty much the same place.

I hear you Milandro I try and only take 3 lens at a time when I go out as i rarely use more.

It is a luxury, i sort of justify my lens collections in the following two ways 

1) Thanks to buying the majority of the lens above with kits or on ebay I have not spent comparatively speaking a massive amount, probably  the same as  what I would have had to spend if I wanted a Nikon D810 or Sony A7Rii plus 2 lens, I am so happy to have an X-T1 which gets damn close or in some way betters those cameras (personal preference) and I get to have a very flexible lens collection that I would not have been able to afford if I was using those systems.

2) My photography falls broadly into 4 main camps and the lenses above serve those very well in allowing me different configurations.

Ski-ing - 18-135mm/27mm/10-24mm

This set-up works really well, as the 18-135mm is great as I can get long shots of my daughter and if I am filming her I usually ski ahead a ways, start filming and as she get nearer i zoom out. I would not normally zoom during a shot but for this kind of stuff its okay as long as its gradual. The 10-24mm is great for taking in the breathtaking scenery in the mountains. Also great for shots of guys going off jumps and rails. The 27mm is not actually necessary to this kit at all, but its a nice to have for wandering around the Ski Station stuffed into a jack pocket when we are out of an evening, I could go with 35mm but to be honest their is significant potential for the lens to get banged about so I tend to leave that at home as its my favorite lens. In all fairness the 18-135 is probably the only lens I really need in this kit, its get most use and being waterproof is the most practical. I only take the 10-24 out on blue bird days.

Street Kit 1 - 18/35/90mm - All primes and I actually have room in my bag to fit the 27mm with this kit if I so choose. This is a great pure prime kit that I sometimes swap out the 60 for the 90, but I find that somehow the 18/35 and 90 all seem to render in a very similar way and the 60 while great does not share quite the same character and I like the continuity across those 3 lens.

Street Kit 2 - 10-24mm/35mm/60 - This is another great lens combo if I am going somewhere where there is nice architecture as the 10-18mm range this afford me over the above kit is very handy. Again I may swap the 60 for the 90 here depending on how I feel that day.

Travel/Family - 10-24mm/18-135mm/35mm - This gives me a supremely flexible set of lens great for family and traveling with my family, 18-135 do everything and not drive my wife up the wall with lens changes, 10-24 also fits that bill to an extent and allows me to have many wide options and the 35mm gives me low light options and a prime

Portrait kit - 35/60/90mm - Great portrait options, virtually classic, I suppose its missing a 23/27mm option and I could include the 27mm in there for completeness, but I rarely use that focal length for portraits, just does not speak to me, I know some love it. More power to them, but you have to know what you like.

So looking through the above the most obvious lens to get rid of first for me is the 27mm but its so small and that is useful and it was the cheapest lens to purchase I got a fantastic deal on that lens £125 uk so its seems a bit pointless selling it, although that is the very definition of hoarding. The next most obvious is the 60mm as more and more I am using the 90mm in its stead, but its a great little lens, its also macro and finally If I want close up abstract portraits where I am just shooting a partial of the face, this lens is the best due to close focusing distance and sharpness. I also love the bokeh rendering on this lens.

So all in all I think I may just stick, I can honestly say that I am very very happy with my lenses now, this is it. I have trialed the 14/23 and 56mm and they just don't work for me, this is my kit. The only lens that might peak my interest is the new 33mm F1.0 but to be honest it probably going to be massive compared to the 35mm and the 35mm is my favourite lens of the lot. If I had to sell everything tomorrow and keep one lens and one body it would be the 35mm F1.4 hands down. So while I may daly with the idea of the 33 unless its a blow your socks off kind of lens and it has similar character to sit well with the 18 and 90 its going to have its work cut out to supplant the 35mm.

I have to say that I am content at this point. I may consider upgrading to the X-T2 some point down the line but I am in no rush the X-T1 is a hell of a camera, I love the images I get, I find cool news things to do with it every time I shoot it, and the AF is very very good now. I also think that lens are more important than camera which is why I have focused on them. This means that budget wize whatever camera I purchase next it probably won't be until 2017.

Interesting aside, my most recent purchase, the 18mm, a lens that gets some slating for AF performance, and its definitely one of the weakest of all my lens on that front I thought. However after a few days using it, I checked the firmware version when I was importing some images and had a clean card and low and behold it was still on version 2.01, the guy who sold it to me had not updated it since he bought it. I put the latest software on there, suddenly a different animal, and in Single AF with either spot or Zone focus its very very decent now. I think that so many people judge equipment without first ensuring its on the right firmware. In fact with hindsight that was true of the 3 best deals I got on my lens 27mm 60mm and 18mm all were on old Firmware version all were sold very cheaply, all of which have had reps for slow AF. All of which are now very very usable on an X-T1 on Fimware 4 got to love Kaizen.

G

G

Ps mind you I own 7 guitars so maybe I just like owning stuff.

On a more serious note though, I like owning multiple instruments because I find that when I am uninspired sometimes picking up another instrument will force me to play in a slightly different way or sound slightly different and that will send me down an more interesting avenue, so maybe havin lens options is not about needing them, but about keeping the inspiration fresh.

If you don't need that or you get your inspiration from knowing a small number of tools inside out, they awesome, i guess they are just different approaches, I know my bank manager would prefer yours :)

G

I play multiple woodwinds and buy and sell them as a result of buying lots of this stuff. I never have less than 10 saxophones ( clarinets, flutes ).

But I am moving now to a temporary accommodation and I will be living there for only 2 years while my house is being rebuilt. So I have to move again in two years.

My wife and I often stare at the things we’ve accumulated in the last 35 years. Some of these things among which an impressive collection of all my favorite detective stories by my favorite authors, painstakingly bought one by one in years of searching, have been moved here to the NL from Italy where I lived before, back then I shipped 700Kg. of things and later on went to pick up 25 suitcases that I’ve left in storage for a year.

We spend the first part of our life adding thing and the second part in subtracting them.

It’s a fact of life.