Seen any new and “ interesting " accessories for the Fuji system? (or general purpose ones)

milandro

there is not much happening in the X accessory ( made by independent makers) department.

However I still come across new photographic things. Some are strange like this “ new” 3D printed box camera that you could ( would I...mmm, I don’t think so!) build yourself.

You could, alternatively buy a brownie camera which does exactly the same thing and costs maybe $5?

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140120-the-lux-a-3d-printed-medium-format-camera-you-can-build-yourself.html

lux-3d-printed-camera-1.pnglux-3d-printed-camera-2.png1024px-Kodak_Brownie_Flash_III.jpg

all you got is the brownie? Your signature displays a different story

X-T1 |  X-T2 | 18-55 |  Zeiss 12/2.8  |  Fuji 16 1.4  |   Fuji 23 1.4 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 55-200  |

For Special Projects: Nikon D800e and a Nikon 50 1.8G lens (Sold)

Edited by milandro

At the dawn of digital photography 1998, someone thought of adding an insert containing a digital sensor which could transform any analog camera into a digital one.

They called it IMAGEK EFS-1

This never really materialized and it has appeared in many forms which never made it past the 3D model or prototype. Of course this would have been riddled by all sorts of problems but if anyone could have made it we wouldn’t have had so many new camera and we would have kept on using almost any analog camera ever made.

20 years down the line, the concept is no longer appealing but it would make an incredible accessory to revive ownership of analog cameras.

new1.jpg

imagek2.jpg

imagek1.jpg

Later on many others took this concept but even that never made it into production.

digitalfilm.jpg

digitalfilm2.jpg

digital35mm.jpg

digipod1.jpg

13-open.jpg

These seemed way more promising......

hot shoe mounted flashlight

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

this is a quite interesting accessory, which is actually, at least originally, not originally meant for photography ( I spoke of something similar a few posts before) but can be used quite well for quick photography when you need to quickly point your camera and hopefully shoot pictures and no bullets  ;)

Especially when used to quickly point a very long lens ( where people sometimes have to “ find” the subject) this will be very good.

reddotreflex.jpg

Edited by milandro

Some accessories fish things from the old bag of tricks.

Remember those prismatic filters that you may have bought in the ’70 or ’80 on a whim and seldom or never used?

Someone fished out that concept again ( in 2014) I don’t know if their initiative was ever successful.

678f1dd500028a1277c963948b726b85_origina

this is a quite interesting accessory, which is actually, at least originally, not originally meant for photography ( I spoke of something similar a few posts before) but can be used quite well for quick photography when you need to quickly point your camera and hopefully shoot pictures and no bullets  ;)

Especially when used to quickly point a very long lens ( where people sometimes have to “ find” the subject) this will be very good.

reddotreflex.jpg

Good enough an idea that Olympus offers something similar as a camera accessory.

• 2 weeks later...

reddotreflex.jpg

Milandro what does it do?

A “ sight”  helps pointing your camera ( or your gun)  armed with a long lens towards the “ target” quickly without ( I love this pun) “ hunting” the subject around.

When you are shooting with your 100-400 at 400mm you should experience some difficulty in targeting a moving object like a bird.

They talk about a similar product here (only there is no need of a laser “ red dot”) the sights alone will suffice!

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3009695

Edited by milandro

so, after the expensive “ automatic lens cap” 

Seen here

http://www.fujirumors.com/new-lens-cap-solution-fujifilm-xf23mmf2-xf35mmf2/

01_s.jpg

Not too different from this other one really

28009171976_06ae34d559_c.jpg

I have seen one of those crazy and useless gadgets too, a lens cap with the print of junk food , that is what any photographer really needs!

snack-caps-lens-covers-2f7b.833x555.jpg

Check this out. I was emailing this guy after I saw him comment on 35mmc.com

http://www.randtglobalservices.com

Chhers! A mutliback hybrid camera... to be developed.

Interesting concept, though the pitfalls are many.

For starters the fact that lenses conceived for film don’t perform ( at the very least wideagles don’t) very well on digital cameras ( the concept is explained here, I’ve quoted this a few times before)

http://fujifilm-blog...ull-frame-dslr/

“...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

So one would need to design original lenses or use lenses specifically meant for digital purposes ( such as the ones made from Samyang). 

What exactly this intends to be is yet to be known. The site says nothing more than they are going to do this and they forecast this being ready in two years to be marketed. 

In my mind the easiest approach would be to use the body of a camera that already exists and UP-cycle it with a digital “ back” ( as in the examples given above, through the years many have based their inventions on this concept but no one of these concept cameras have ever reached fruition).

Chhers! A mutliback hybrid camera... to be developed.

Interesting concept, though the pitfalls are many.

For starters the fact that lenses conceived for film don’t perform ( at the very least wideagles don’t) very well on digital cameras ( the concept is explained here, I’ve quoted this a few times before)

http://fujifilm-blog...ull-frame-dslr/

“...Firstly, the angle of light that film and imaging sensors can receive differ from each other. Film can receive light at the slanted angle of up to 45 degrees without any problem, but in case of the digital camera, the light needs to be as perpendicular to the sensor as possible. Slanted angle light causes mixed colors and therefore the real colors sometimes cannot be reproduced. In order to receive the light perpendicular to the sensor, it is important to make the rear glass element on each lens as big as possible to put the light beams parallel from the outlet of the light to the sensor. Finally, the back-focus distance should be shortened as much as possible to eliminate the degradation in image quality..."

So one would need to design original lenses or use lenses specifically meant for digital purposes ( such as the ones made from Samyang). 

What exactly this intends to be is yet to be known. The site says nothing more than they are going to do this and they forecast this being ready in two years to be marketed. 

In my mind the easiest approach would be to use the body of a camera that already exists and UP-cycle it with a digital “ back” ( as in the examples given above, through the years many have based their inventions on this concept but no one of these concept cameras have ever reached fruition).

Thanks for the link!

They don't even have mock ups or CADs or anything, so remains to be seen how they figure to attempt this. Or maybe they have a working prototype and are keeping it under tight secret. I have my doubts, but am still very interested. Alas sometimes these things don't pan out or have trouble for various reasons. This market is not easy to just break into.

Anyone remember this: http://konost.com they're still thinking they can get something to market

I don’t even understand if this is an attempt at crowdfunding, not an easy task to ask people to separate themselves from hard earned money all based on blind faith ( since there is no picture of what you will actually be funding) certainly not with a product that has such an unclear, vague at best, description.

What is it? A new camera with film, digital and instant back? Or a new way to use an up-cycled old camera ( the physics of which, explained by Mr. Takashi Ueno above make it bound to fail because the results would be at best disappointing).