X-pro2 launch, keep or sell your x-pro1?

There are many and convenient offers on the secondhand market of the X-T1 already ( take a look at the classified ad here, most are showing a X-T1!) because of all the people who didn’t like the camera or the ones who sold it or are trying to sell it to buy the cheaper X-T10.

The problem with buying a secondhand digital camera is that it needs being tested in general and in particular for hot or dead or otherwise white pixels and for dust, oil spots on the sensor.

Yesterday I was about to buy an X pro 1 at a very good price and I told the person that I was going to collect the camera ( it implied a round trip of 200 Km.) and test it for these two things.

He or she told me that they didn’t want people in their house and that I could have sent the money and that he or she would have refunded me if I wasn’t pleased. I smelled a rat and didn’t send her the money.

The same person also sold an interesting sound system, whoever would want to buy that will want to listen to it in action before producing the cash, exactly like I wanted to do with the camera body.

The problem with buying a secondhand digital camera is that it needs being tested in general and in particular for hot or dead or otherwise white pixels and for dust, oil spots on the sensor.

True. Which is why you need to pick up the camera in person, and should bring a laptop (with a card reader) with you.

I agree with you that buying without having the chance to inspect it first is risky with electronics. You were right not to buy that X-Pro1, I believe.

OTOH; when I bought my Canon 5D in 2010, I paid €800. I sold it again last month for €300. So that camera cost me about €100 per year, which probably is much lower than if I had bought it new.

So while buying used is somewhat riskier, it's also cheaper in the long term, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When I closed my last company in Milan 5 years ago, we gave away for free a Canon Eos 1 Mark II to a friend who still used it for a while and sold it for €500 just a couple of months ago!

But , generally old digital camera can be bought for peanuts after 3-4 years for their release, not unlike the computers and despite the fact that, performance (which of course stays the one when it was new) aside, you can virtually keep using them for years and years.

So, yes, if one doesn’t mind the fact that it isn’t using the latest version of anything, if you buy an x pro 1 when the X pro 2 will be announced or the X-T1 when the X-T2 will be released, they will cost very little.

You can now buy a X-E1 for €150.

When I closed my last company in Milan 5 years ago, we gave away for free a Canon Eos 1 Mark II to a friend who still used it for a while and sold it for €500 just a couple of months ago!

But , generally old digital camera can be bought for peanuts after 3-4 years for their release, not unlike the computers and despite the fact that, performance (which of course stays the one when it was new) aside, you can virtually keep using them for years and years.

So, yes, if one doesn’t mind the fact that it isn’t using the latest version of anything, if you buy an x pro 1 when the X pro 2 will be announced or the X-T1 when the X-T2 will be released, they will cost very little.

You can now buy a X-E1 for €150.

Unfortunately these are not Canikons that are almost the same as previous model and renew every two years. We expect X-Pro2 to be huge improvement over X-pro1 and the time difference is five years. 

I don’t expect any camera to hold its commercial value that long. But a professional digital camera such as the X pro 1 is, will be made to outlast its commercially valuable years.

The EOS was already ancient even when my company was still open and it was “ sold” to us as a back up, from one of the partners who found this way to pocket extra money for himself for things which had little o no value selling them to the company.

Yet, the majority of people ( most of whom are in the “ mature” part of their lives) who I see publishing here pictures of their family, holiday scenes and landscapes, would, in all fairness be very well served for the rest of their foreseeable lives from the X pro 1, the results of which would be able to be viewed ( the majority of pictures are never printed) or printed for decades to come.

Most people use cameras for very simple work and don’t need at all to upgrade their game. Many will and if one is wise enough and buys an older camera no longer produced from a person who used it sparingly, can, as long as he in not hung up with having the newest of anything, for years and years to come.

I just bought my X-Pro1 only two weeks ago (along with an X-T1). I just love taking it out and using it. I have taken some great images with it in the last couple of days. I love it so much, I will buy the X-Pro2 as the way it handles just feels so right. If the rumoured double SD card slot turns up along with a few other enhancements, I will be in the queue waiting to buy.

Am tempted to buy another X-Pro1 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

There would have to be significant improvements made to make me consider buying an xpro2. I have the xpro1 as well as the xt1 so I have a good stretch of bases covered here. And while I enjoy the xpro 1 a lot I actually use it a bit more then the xt1. So a future xpro2 would have to be better the the xt1 in all aspects, yet handle like the xpro1

I have just bought myself an X-pro1 today on offer for £499 with the 27 & 18 lenses and the Fuji Leather case.  

Needless to say it will be a long while before I will be considering the X-Pro2!
I have to confess it was the XT1 which drew me into the Fuji world coming from a Canon 60D but the price of the Pro1 was too good to pass up on.

At this price I have two lenses I wasn't expecting and I can still afford another really nice lens.

I expect my next Fuji body will be an XT1 once the XT2 comes out and the price drops but we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since coming over from digital Leica, I got only used X bodies: two of Xpro1s and recently an XT-1. I was so pleased using XT-1 and (borrowed 50-140!) on my recent stock photography trip. I am keeping XT-1. But, I'm also keeping xpo1s simply because they are great machines for what I do. Just for sake of having a body attached on each great Fuji prime means more than $400-500 CAD I can get on used market...

I will eventually get xPro2 (and even XT-2), but not right away. Not being a beta tester for a digital camera company, even Fuji. After the entire debacle with Leica M8 and to the extent each digital Leica body I had after (one of the reasons I gave up on Germas in general), I'm not naive as much as GAS syndrome is in my blood. It's just not worth the grief... I hope xPro2 will be a success "out of the box" with no hick ups and "baby sickness". So, in any case by fall of 2016 (when my target purchase date is) hopefully new camera will be ready for my liking...

I think the M8 scandal illustrates the prime difference between Leica and Fujifilm. As I recall, Leica absolutely denied there was a problem at all for more than a year. For a while, there was a rumour that owners would be able to ship the camera back to Germany and pay to have it fixed. Then they offered to sell M8 owners a correction filter for something like $250US. After much more weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth by the owners, they gave the correction filter. Much time had passed. 

Fuji ships the cameras the moment they are fully functional and then there is a steady flow of firmware upgrades to not only swat bugs but to add new features to the cameras. Even after the X100 was replaced, did a firmware upgrade come through improving the already fine camera. In the past, my policy was to never buy version 1.0 of anything remotely digital. At least with Fujifilm, I am no longer afraid to be an early adopter. 

(The first camera an employer put in my hands was a Leica and I used them throughout my long working life.)

I own XP1 which I pre-ordered the second I heard about it coming. I bought the 18 and 35 at that time too.  

I am also a lifetime owner of Fuji's panoramic rangefinder film camera TX-1, also marketed as Hasselblad X-Pan.  

I still use the TX-1 and even use TX-1 lenses occasionally on the XP1.  

I find that the XP1 has become my single most selected camera for daily use.   

Does anyone believe there's a chance of in-body image stabilization for XP2 ?  

Update. Woah!  Just double-checked the price of used TX-1 ! listed for up to USD 1.8 k ! 

Buying my first Pro 1 reignited my passion for photography.  I'm now emotionally attached to this camera.  No other camera has ever had this affect on me.  Since then I bought the X100T and the XT1.  I normally used a Canon 5D MkIII.  These days the camera I nearly always reach for is the X100T.  I hardly use the XT1.  And I now also hardly use the XPro 1.  But I also recently bought another Pro 1 given the price and bargains out there.  I can see situations where the Pro 1 will be my ideal choice.  Will I keep them, absolutely.  The Pro 1 is an excellent camera.  It is without doubt a classic.  From what I've seen so far there's not enough off a game changer in the Pro 2 to make me buy it.  We shall see.  I may have to wait till the Pro 3 to see enough improvements to make me want to upgrade.   

this was already established quite sometime ago.

Again no camera can ever please everyone.

Fair point, however, I think that Fuji are missing a trick.

For those who choose zoom lenses, they have in lens stabilisation and that's all well and fine, no complaints from me. For those (like me) who prefer prime lenses, there is no stabilisation on offer and so we are at a disadvantage in low light levels. My solution is to use higher iso settings, but this isn't ideal by any means. With lenses like the 90mm, stabilisation of some kind would be a real bonus. IBIS would solve this for people like me and if Sony can get it into their A7II, I don't really see why Fuji can't. So far I have an XE-1, XE-2 and X-T1 so don't see any real advantage for me in getting the X-Pro2 other than higher resolution. I might as well wait until Fuji produce a suitable model.

I don’t know why they don’t do it, they must have good reasons for this.

I suppose that if they could they would.

On a side note.

I have always been convinced that digital photography shows more the effects of motion blur than what analog photography ever did for me ( or at least I prefer to think so rather than accepting the fact that I am no longer holding the camera as firmly as I did when I was younger!).

Nevertheless if once upon a time we could shoot with no stabilization of sort, so could we do that precise thing now. 

You might argue that we live in modern times and therefore we should have the benefit of technique but the same argument can be made against the use of legacy lenses.