X-pro2 launch, keep or sell your x-pro1?

As the release of the fuji x-pro2 is iminent (see latest post on Fuji rumours http://bit.ly/1XoRXcE) will you keep or sell your x-pro1 when the x-pro2 comes out?

I'm sitting on the fence regarding this. I like the xpro1 and have bought some expensive accessories also. Also i think it is kind of a classic camera of its time but of course as we all know it has its weaknesses. But who knows, the x-pro2 could be a complete flop and the xpro1 coukd become some kind of collectors item like the contax t3 that still fetches nearly $800-$1000 despite its age.

What would speak for keeping it or selling your x-pro1? What will you do?

I suppose that wait and see is the best strategy.

My take on this issue (and many other things) is that the great majority of the photographers don’t even use the older camera which they have to the fullest of its possibility and they are only missing what others are telling them that they are missing but have never found the limits of their equipment but rather think that they can expand their own personal limits ( those they are finding every time they pick up any camera) by buying some “ chops in a box”.

Most of these folks would take the same pictures of their girlfriend or grandchildren even if you give them a X-Pro-2000.

If I have to judge from what I see published by many, very few indeed need an upgrade compared to the X-Pro-1 which they have.

It's going to depend on what each individual likes about the XP1 IMO...

Those that have been asking for "guts of the XT1 in a XP1 body shape, with a OVF" (assuming any XP2 ticks that box) might see little reason to keep the old model.

Those that love the X-Trans 1 rendering and different NR, might find they want to hang onto their original copy (assuming that any XP2 doesn't have a X-Trans 1 sensor and identical rendering)

I HATE XP Leica M comparisons, so please forgive my following indulgence...

I think it'll be like when the M240 replaced the M9

Some will jump to the newer model, enjoy the improvements and never look back

Some will say that although the newer one is better, it doesn't have the charm of the original, sell the 2 and re-buy the 1

Some will own both!

Most of these folks would take the same pictures of their girlfriend or grandchildren even if you give them a X-Pro-2000.

I fear this is even more true of many Leica users, is it not? In which case photographing trophy wives also becomes a high priority. I would hope that Fuji users have at least a touch more intelligence and creativity.

I for one can at least say I feel I am often pushing my X-Pro1 to its limits. I have had reasonable sized prints made to exhibit at an art gallery, and just wish it had a few more MP of resolution to optimise things here. I often overload the data flow bottle neck and find myself waiting for it to finish writing before I can review shots. I often need to work just a tiny bit faster in studio than it will allow (and I don't think I shoot that fast compared to many spray-and-pray types these days who take thousands of shots). I do occasionally miss shots because of the shutter lag. Getting fully functional focus peaking would also be nice.

Yet for all that, I hold my X-Pro1 in great regard. I like to shoot with primes and having two bodies with different primes on them will be good.

Go to any camera group on Flickr (or whatever) and you'll find plenty of mediocre shots, or cliche shots.

Any camera can take a great picture. Any camera can make a shot with soul, or emotional impact or beauty or whatever.

The cameras that people chose to own are dependent on their budgets, not their photographical ability.

You don't need to pass a test to be allowed to buy a Leica or a Hasselblad or whatever, and nor should you.

Precisely, so for the majority of the people who take those shots improving the camera will make no sense at all.

With a little bit of self criticism one can look at the picture that one takes and ask himself: “ Do I really need a new X-Pro? Or could I take these pictures with the camera that I already have? "

Precisely, so for the majority of the people who take those shots improving the camera will make no sense at all.

With a little bit of self criticism one can look at the picture that one takes and ask himself: “ Do I really need a new X-Pro? Or could I take these pictures with the camera that I already have? "

You're not wrong.

Speaking PERSONALLY I have a XT1 and a XP1. I usually use the Pro, because I like it. Even though it's an older camera and a lot slower

But speaking GENERICALLY people should buy what ever makes them happy....

....it's not really about the camera, but if someone has a emotive connection to their tool, they'll always strive to try harder with it, even if that connection is merely 'I've got the latest Fuji'

At the end of th day... The first X ILC was a APSC camera, the XP2 will be a APSC camera, the lenses available when the XP2 hits the stores are the same lenses available now (give or take the 35 mk2) so in terms of IQ I can't see there ultimately being a lot of difference between the XP2 and say the XT10 or XT1 etc,

so I guess no one should buy it and Fuji should not have even bothered to make it! :D

Well this thread is a about keep the older camera or sell it. I say keep it.

Consumerism is based on buying things that you don’t always need and that are mostly only things that you want. For some a new and better camera is a new tool with a chance to improve the image output, but for the majority it is only a way to own something new.

Companies update cameras to attract new and old customers that’s what they do. Customers have the choice and that’s what the thread is about, keep it or sell it.

Money for the X-Pro2 is in the bank, should I choose to spend it. Highly satisfied with my X-Pro1 and would be willing to continue with it indefinitely. However, it is nice to be able to shoot with two similar cameras instead of switching lenses, and would be tempted to shoot with both. A Fuji honcho said in an interview that the X-Pro2 would not ship until they could include a significant technological breakthrough. Once I see the whole package, then I will decide whether I will add it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's way too early to tell until the X-Pro2 is officially announced and tested. Typically I think most of us purchase a new camera and test it as a backup or non important work till we're confident that it'll be our primary camera. Most likely I'll sell one of my bodies and keep the other as backup, walk about camera. For me the X-Pro1 feels just right in my hand and I still love the output from the sensor. Since purchasing the X-Pro1 I've tried and sold both an X100 and X-T1 while keeping a backup X-Pro1 body and recently adding an XT-10 when I need a smaller option.

I hope to score a brand new PRO 1 dirt cheap between now and spring next year. After that I will read up on reviews on the PRO 2 to see if improvements warrant buying that.

We novice photographers don't expect our images to improve because we buy a new camera, but we also appreciate such things as a faster focus, great dynamic range. longer battery life and so on. We aren't a snobbish lot.