XF 35mm f/2 review

JonasRask

AF:

The new one is pretty fast and accurate. There is no focus hunting at all. The autofocus system works nearly silent by the way. But to be honest with all the firmware updates for the 1.4 the old one is not that sluggish at all. Yeah, it's a bit noisier but for the average situation it will be fast enough.

When you say "no focus hunting..." do you mean "very little"? My lens is hunting in some situations, and I'm a bit worried that it is faulty, or me being very picky. :)

When you say "no focus hunting..." do you mean "very little"? My lens is hunting in some situations, and I'm a bit worried that it is faulty, or me being very picky. :)

I think this is normal (except if it's as bad as the 35mm f/1.4). I tested this lens as well on an x-t1 (not my own camera) and it hunted a bit in low light, not as much as the previous one though. Of course it depends on your camera but I assume you don't use it on an x-pro1 or x-e1, if so that's the "problem" because they have an older processor and no AF points on sensor. 

I really don't get the importance of edge sharpness at wide open. Especially at f1.4 when the DOF is very shallow, you are very unlikely to WANT egde sharpness and the cances are that the perimeter is not going to be in the same plane anyway. What you really want is subject separation, and faster shutter speed and the f1.4 will deliver that for you. In addition for portrature people used to add a soft focus filter, so razor sharpness is not called for. Having said that I find the 35mm f1.4 absolutely delightfull.

If I was going to shoot city scape or landscape I would use f4 to f11 in any case. So I am happy to stick with my 35mm f1.4 lens :)

(Now bring on the X-PRO2 specs!!!)

I think this is normal (except if it's as bad as the 35mm f/1.4). I tested this lens as well on an x-t1 (not my own camera) and it hunted a bit in low light, not as much as the previous one though. Of course it depends on your camera but I assume you don't use it on an x-pro1 or x-e1, if so that's the "problem" because they have an older processor and no AF points on sensor. 

Thank you, I feel more relaxed now. I tested it again, and it is "normal", used on a X-T1.

• 1 month later...

That's a really useful comparison, thank you. That f2 certainly is nice and sharp.

Be aware that he seems to have a crappy sample of the f/1.4 in terms of edge/corner performance. Mine are much closer together just from the fact that my 1.4 is much better than his from the examples I see on that page. So, while it might be a useful comparison, it looks like the old 1.4 lenses had quite some differences between copies which might explain the different results in some tests. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Annoyingly, I've broken the plastic hood of mine. I had my X-T1 over my shoulder and it slipped off. Landed on a concrete floor with a loud crack. Happily both lens and camera were unmarked - but the hood was busted. I got in touch with Fuji but they don't sell the small plastic hood as a separate part. Only the metal hood, which is bigger and bulkier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk