X-T30 How to use electronic shutter?

LouiseScot

Hi all

I have been trying to use my x-t30 with the electronic shutter but not having much success :( As it's a mirrorless camera I thought it would be straightforward! But there appears to be no way to manually select it (only combined ms/es). I've set it to auto with 1/125s exposure. I'm using a hand-held wired shutter release. I'm sure it was working before I updated the firmware to 1.40 a while back but I confess I haven't really used it since. Am I missing something or is there any way around this issue? At the same time, I can take short video clip and it's fine - surely I must be able to take a still?

Thanks for any suggestions

Louise

2 hours ago, jerryy said:

https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/x-t30/menu_shooting/shooting_setting/index.html

Scroll down to Shutter Type.

It is in the shooting menus setup, you can choose between manual shutter, electronic shutter or both together.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have that choice in my x-t30 menu :( It's just MS or ES/MS with ES for fast exposures i.e. 1/4000s

Louise

That is odd, there are very few other settings that limit using es. Having a flash unit attached is one, but I would have thought that would also keep you from using ms+es.

Mines does this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Have you upgraded to the most recent firmware?

This may sound drastic, have you copied you settings down somewhere and tried a full reset?

Ah, that's probably what it is then - I'm using a slow exposure and no flash. I just have the 1st and 3rd options on my menu. I bought a mirrorless camera because I thought it would be better than my dslrs but it's pretty useless for what I wanted it for. No live view/tethering :( And can't even use the electronic shutter :( Yet I can take a 4k video. It doesn't make sense that I can do that but can't take a still. 

Louise

No, perhaps I was not clear. Just about the only thing that keeps you from using es is having a flash unit attached.

I regularly use electronic shutter with very long exposures when I am outdoors, it saves wear and tear on the mechanical shutter. So something else is going on. Try a full reset and see if that clears it up as well as making sure you have the latest firmware installed.

Having tethering would be nice, but Fujifilm seems to have saved that for the X-T3, X-T4, etc.

Edited by jerryy

I am glad to hear you are able to get things working. When I read your post, I missed the part where you said you had auto mode on.

But there are a couple of things that may also help you.

https://www.markllobrera.com/posts/fujifilm-xt30-webcam/

Fujilfilm turned on support for using the X-T30 as a web cam in the recent firmware upgrades.

https://app.fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/camera_remote/usage/live_view/index.html

They also support live view shooting using the Camera Remote app on smartphones. I have not tried this using bluetooth, but it works fine using the wifi connection approach, albeit is a tad bit clunky, you have to connect the camera and phone together on the camera’s wifi before starting the app. The only “normal” thing I have not been able to do using the app is use manual focus assistance. Also note that except for manually zooming a zoom lens, pretty much all of the usual buttons will not control the camera, except the on / off switch; the Camera Remote app controls everthing.

edit: Whether these updates give us the ability to do tethered photography directly to the computer using something like X Acquire or similar software or indirectly by using a combination of PC Autosave along with Camera Remote running on the smartphone, I do not know because I am not that ambitious enough at the moment to try it (so many other things are demanding I pay attention to them right now 😀).

Edited by jerryy

On 10/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, jerryy said:

I am glad to hear you are able to get things working. When I read your post, I missed the part where you said you had auto mode on.

But there are a couple of things that may also help you.

https://www.markllobrera.com/posts/fujifilm-xt30-webcam/

Fujilfilm turned on support for using the X-T30 as a web cam in the recent firmware upgrades.

https://app.fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/camera_remote/usage/live_view/index.html

They also support live view shooting using the Camera Remote app on smartphones. I have not tried this using bluetooth, but it works fine using the wifi connection approach, albeit is a tad bit clunky, you have to connect the camera and phone together on the camera’s wifi before starting the app. The only “normal” thing I have not been able to do using the app is use manual focus assistance. Also note that except for manually zooming a zoom lens, pretty much all of the usual buttons will not control the camera, except the on / off switch; the Camera Remote app controls everthing.

edit: Whether these updates give us the ability to do tethered photography directly to the computer using something like X Acquire or similar software or indirectly by using a combination of PC Autosave along with Camera Remote running on the smartphone, I do not know because I am not that ambitious enough at the moment to try it (so many other things are demanding I pay attention to them right now 😀).

Hi again. Yeah, I know about the previous updates, but thanks anyway. I have 1.40 installed but it still doesn't allow usb tethering. I haven't yet done the latest 1.41 update - I'll get around to it one of these days! I actually use the  X-T30 attached to a microscope - hence the concern with the shutter shock!

Louise

Have you considered using the built-in interval timer?

You can set it to take several (actually a lot) of shots with oh say a second delay between them, as well as a delay before starting the sequence if you wish. Even if you have some wiggle in the first frame or so, you can discard those and keep the steady ones.

59 minutes ago, jerryy said:

Have you considered using the built-in interval timer?

You can set it to take several (actually a lot) of shots with oh say a second delay between them, as well as a delay before starting the sequence if you wish. Even if you have some wiggle in the first frame or so, you can discard those and keep the steady ones.

Hi

I don't have any real need for that facility - however I did try the multiple shots before I sorted out the electronic shutter - all the exposures were a mess! But getting the electronic shutter working has solved the issue. Previously, taking a video was fine but stills with the mechanical shutter were no good.

Louise