Fuji sensor cleaning

AngelosM

It's not really a sensor cleaning that is performed. What the camera does when this option is switched on, every time you switch on/off your camera there's an ultra sonic vibration that 'shakes' dust particles off the sensor. It's an ultrasonic sound pulse so to speak. The dust particles are not removed from or collected inside the camera, so essentially they can return. This option is not an alternative for incidental sensor cleaning using a swab and some cleaning gel (to be performed by an experienced service employee). Best is to avoid dust inside the camera: don't leave the mount exposed for more time than necessary to switch lenses. Don't touch the sensor and don't use a blower to remove dust from inside the camera (you just blow in more dust). 

• 6 months later...

I also switch off the camera before swapping lenses. Been doing this for years. Can’t remember where I learned to do this.

I just Googled it and the general consensus is that the sensor is ‘charged’ when camera is on and thus can attract dust - as in static electricity etc.

The other opinion was that as you twist the lens to remove you may risk electrical contacts shorting. I doubt this theory.

• 5 months later...

LOL. It's not like a dust pan.  You won't see the dust collecting anywhere.  I've been shooting Fuji since 2012 and I've yet to have my sensor cleaned in any camera.  The auto sensor cleaner is a nice gimmick but in reality it's avoidance of dust, sand and other particles that will help keep the sensor clean.  I don't change lenses in sandy areas. In dusty areas I keep my camera opening pointed downward at all times and before I attach the lens to the camera I make sure the rear ring where the contacts are located on the lens itself are clean by rubbing my finger around it.  Then I make sure the rear element is not dusty.

That's about all the precautions I take.  

• 5 months later...

I have had to clean my x-t3 sensor a few times. A hand operated bulb blower is often all you need. Never use canned air. If any propellant gets onto the sensor you will not be able to remove it. Also they are too powerful. Sometimes there is a spot that needs wet cleaning. Anyone can do wet cleaning. Buy a kit from a reputable company and follow the instructions. The camera should be switched off unless it is a model with IBIS. In that case, switch the camera on. Switch IBIS off, switch to ES shutter and make sure rhat the power saving function is off and that your battery is not about to die. Only use very light pressure when moving the swab across the sensor.