Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS X Mount

dv.

just got mine yesterday  :lol: ! can anyone recommend me filter? I'm thinking getting the Hoya HD CPL. any thoughts about it?

I never use circular polarizer filters on wide angle lenses (I also use no filter on my 12mm). Of course it can be done but use 'em with care.

And there’s another one to look out for with polarizers: they don’t work well on extreme wide-angle lenses. That’s not to say they don’t work at all, just that they need to be used with care. It’s a problem of physics. The polarizing effect is directly related to the angle from the light source. Extreme wide-angle or fisheye lenses can cover an extraordinarily wide field of view–up to 180° in a few cases. So if a lot of your frame is blue sky, there’s a good chance you’ll end up with bands of lighter and darker shades across the sky. A further complication is that you won’t really see the full effect through the viewfinder, and it’s not always easy to see on the camera’s LCD screen with all its reflected light. So you might not notice it until you get your images home onto your computer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got this lens as something small and light to carry in the bag when I have the X-Pro 2 and Leica Q. Well it ain't no Zeiss Loxia 21 but for £265 it's pretty damn good and just fine for non critical walk-around work. Love having f2 and stop down to F8 at 1m and everything is basically in focus

no, I don’t have that.

Having said this, both my cameras ( X-T1 and X-E2) have a slight “ wiggle” which you can feel when focussing a manual lens, not only the Samyang but ANY lens.

The Fuji “ wiggle” is a rather common occurrence and I believe it exists on any fuji camera, but it is not the lens.

Nope, not on X-E1, X-E2, and now x-Pro2.  No wiggle.   There may be unit to unit variation with the lens even if it with in the makers QA specs.

However rear lens caps falls off if you look at it cross ways - go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started out trying to correct for the slight barrel distortion this lens has (-1.88 % according to lenstip), but in the end I decided not to do that anymore. Instead, I keep the camera leveled when taking pictures. By doing this you get a straight horizon, and the barrel distortion of the rest of the image is nearly imperceptible. Other types of 'distortions', like volume deformation, will of course be visible if you place your subject too close to the edge of your frame, or too close to the lens, but when photographing e.g. flowers, you can use those effects to your advantage.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very close to consider this lens, but I just got the X-T2 with the 18-55 and 90 f/2 so I feel like i need to relax and shot more for a while before buying more stuff with a good conscious  :ph34r:

As I can see that there are two ways of how to handle GAS. First one, wrong one is trying to relax and shoot more hopelessly hoping that it will pass... but it will not  ;)  and the right way is to collect everything you want asap and only after that you may relax effortlessly... as I did. Thanks God I didn't need these fast lenses cause I generally shoot f4-f11, so my budget wasn't that huge.  :D 

I went on a trip to India with this lens, the 18-55, and an EBC 50mm Fujinon. For the whole trip, I never took the Samyang off. I enjoyed it so much from street to landscape.

This may sound ridiculous but, you could take selfies with this lens. 

You can check the rest of the shots here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskMQVzdd 

Great shot, your flickr link doesn't work though.